Witcher The Witcher: first impressions - SPOILERS ABOUND

The Witcher
Just got mine today and played through the prelude. I'm having the combat problem someone else mentioned - you tell Geralt to attack and he just stands there. What's up with that? I'm thinking about starting a thread on it..

I'm really getting into the game, but the loading times are PAINFUL. Its so bad that I dread actually going into houses because I know that after some short exploration I'll be forced to go back outside and have to sit through a loong load screen.
I am in chapter one in the "Outskirts" village.

My specs:

Dell XPS Gen2 laptop
7200 RPM hard disk
Pentium-M 2.13 Ghz Processor
2 GB Ram
GEForce 6800 Ultra video card (PCI-E)
Windows XP SP2

Not top of line, but somewhat respectable.

Just got mine today and played through the prelude. I'm having the combat problem someone else mentioned - you tell Geralt to attack and he just stands there. What's up with that? I'm thinking about starting a thread on it..

Just click on the ground to make a move and then click on the enemy again. If you can't draw your weapon by clicking on the enemy -> click on the sword icon on the left.

About those loading times... come to think of it, perhaps this is one occasion when my investment into a pair of RAID-1 10,000 RPM WD Raptors paid off. IOW, I'll shut up and enjoy from now on.

I hear the devs are working on a patch to cache textures more intelligently and thereby greatly cut load times, so hang in there.

Re combat: you can also draw your sword with Q (E for the silver one when you get it). And as I just wrote in another thread, if Geralt is just standing there, he's probably being hit which interrupts his attacks. In that case, evade by double-tapping one of WASD and try again. Note also that you have to keep the cursor on the enemy to attack -- clicking in thin air won't work. Goes for the combos too.

Note also that you have to keep the cursor on the enemy to attack -- clicking in thin air won't work. Goes for the combos too.

That is one annoyance ... makes me keep pausing and making sure I'm lined up right just so I can time my clicks correctly.

Okay SPOILER QUESTION follows:

Is my UK import really uncensored, or perhaps I should say, do I really have a UK import edition, because if this is an example I can't imagine why anything had to be cut:

I just "collected" that fine young sorceress Triss and received a trading card for her. While she is posed on what I shall call the 'souvenir card' somewhat provocatively with a little er..kitten..she is covered in all censorable areas with a nicely draped sheet.

So, is this consistent with the Euro version? Not that I have lascivious motives, just can't believe that this would be offensive --daytime soaps are far more revealing and suggestive.

Okay SPOILER QUESTION follows:

Is my UK import really uncensored, or perhaps I should say, do I really have a UK import edition, because if this is an example I can't imagine why anything had to be cut:

I just "collected" that fine young sorceress Triss and received a trading card for her. While she is posed on what I shall call the 'souvenir card' somewhat provocatively with a little er..kitten..she is covered in all censorable areas with a nicely draped sheet.

So, is this consistent with the Euro version? Not that I have lascivious motives, just can't believe that this would be offensive --daytime soaps are far more revealing and suggestive.

There are more, I say "courage" images than Triss but still nothing scary ;) :).

The language and topics in the game are far more mature/serious than those pictures. I really don't see what the fuss is about.

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure. Hard to believe this was an issue for anyone but I guess it's the concept more than the execution.

The language and topics in the game are far more mature/serious than those pictures. I really don't see what the fuss is about.

I honestly think that the 'issue' is contained almost entirely in hand-wringing in forums like this at this point. Atari saw the game, and based on all of the marketing info I got wanted to push the 'mature as complex moral issues' rather than 'mature = boobies'. In other words, they didn't want the game to get bogged down at the ESRB like Manhunt or known in the press like the DOA or other beach volleyball games ... so they made a judgment call.

If one could shutoff the Autosave feature i would save alot of time. Its not the loading thats taking time, its saving (i have realized now). And somehow everytime i have changed a quest it autosave - everytime changing location - until quest finish, and then it autosave that status. I mean it takes 2/3 to save the game, 1/3 to load.

But, on the very *very* bright side. Learned to like the OTS view today. And boy. What fun it was to do battles! Me really starting to like the game. If only this game would have had Gothic3 seamless play zones. It would have been a smashing experience.

Gah, hate poorly designed element in games.

WHY on earth do you put a boss fight directly behind a lengthy dialouge scene, and then a stupid fmv, soo you have no way to save afterward. The Scene was really cool the first time, now i hate the freaking game having my life handed to me in a bag 10 times.

Had to quit and drink a beer. Hopefully my steam go away tomorrow, but if i have to choose the other "dialouge" options to survive, then witcher aint for me...

Gah.

Yes i AM frustrated. :)

You know what? I am reading all those comments about loading times, which don't affect me personally too much thanks to RAID 0 matrix :), got bigger issues with crashes on my Vista, about which I don't complain at all, when decided to change to Vista I kind of accepted 'fringe benefits' along with it, but this reminds me of early days of Fallout 2, I'm sure lots of you guys remember this. Do you remember saving/loading times? Oh my God! That was a disaster! :D I almost could go down and make myself cup of tea and some sandwitches :). Aah, those were the days... Of course they fixed it in the end and the game, although flawed, bugged, unfinished and unpolished, still became on of the greatest RPGs of all time... I wonder if incomparably less flawed, bugged, unfinished and unpolished The Witcher will make it to the pantheon after all? :)

Last sephirah

heya.

I'm realy stuck.
I wonder like mad all day, and can not find where is this damn last sephirat.
Did someone complete it ?
- anyway - the detective in town seem stuck too on "solving the case", and i have not a slightly idea - how to aproach him, or what to do further.

please help ...

The detective has the 10th, you just need to progress the plot with him far enough for him to go to the swamp.

Back
Top Bottom