Dragon Quest XI - Review @ Screenrant

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Screenrant has reviewed Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age:

Dragon Quest XI Review: A Magical And Near-Perfect RPG

The perfect RPG does not exist, or does it? Enter the release of Square Enix' Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, the latest entry in the long-running Dragon Quest series. Not only is this title a joy to play, but it brings a particular kind of magic back to RPGs that has sorely been missing from recent titles.

The first Dragon Quest game released on the original NES in Japan in 1986 and the U.S. in 1989. Since then, there has been a slew of other Dragon Quest games, including spinoffs, as well as novels, manga, and two anime series. That's a lot of history, but the good news is that players unfamiliar with the franchise will have no problem diving into Dragon Quest XI. And that's the beauty of this latest title: it taps into what made the previous games so wonderful but also serves as a bold and beautiful introduction to the wonderful world of Dragon Quest.

[...]

Although Dragon Quest XI has a beautiful musical soundtrack to accompany its story, it's the voice acting choices that sometimes feel a little off. Although most of the voices are great, particularly with the characters in each land having specific accents, there are times when a character's voice doesn't seem to fit a character. This is particularly true for Erik, one of the first allies the Luminary acquires in the game, who has a sort of Brooklyn accent that doesn't seem to fit the world or the character. It's a small annoyance, but it can eventually grate on the nerves after hours of gameplay.
That small matter doesn't change the fact that Dragon Quest XI is a near-perfect game. It's a perfect example of just how good a traditional JRPG can be. Its beautifully-rendered world takes players deep into its fantasy, immersing them in a world they can only wish were real. Yes, the perfect RPG exists and it's Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age.

Score 4.5/5
More information.

All these reviews make me want to try it. Anyone here playing it?

That joxer person. One issue is if you are a keyboard/mouse person they foobar some very obvious things. Yea there are third party binaries you can use to 'fix it' but i ain't touching it until sega show they care enough to fix it in the game itself.

All these reviews make me want to try it. Anyone here playing it?

It is nearly perfect. A perfect old school JRPG. I guess they could have used the orchestrated soundtrack instead of midi, they could at least have made it switchable if they wanted to keep the oldschool midi music. But there is a complete soundtrack CD with the orchestrated version available…

Hm and now after about 10 hours in i can imagine, that the skills i am still able to learn are soon getting a bit sparse and i have the feeling that i am at the very beginning still. But its the first "Dragon Quest" game for me, so who knows what it still has in stock.

I am playing it with a x-box controller (normally i am a keyboard+mouse person too, but those games are made for controller usage)

Got it through green man gaming, with some special 5% off, from a sale of chrono trigger, which i snatched too on the occasion.

Ah, and dont expect japanese voice overs, like i did. Normally i like to play JRPGs in japanese, with english subtitles. Those voices are better most of the time (sound more exotic..), but there are none, not even for Japan apparently. There are only englisch VO, which have some light accent, which i found a bit distracting in the beginning, but got used to later.

Back
Top Bottom