Path of Exile - Officially Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Path of Exile has been officially released today you can download the game for free on Steam, or the games webpage.

You are an Exile, struggling to survive on the dark continent of Wraeclast, as you fight to earn power that will allow you to exact your revenge against those who wronged you. Created by hardcore gamers, Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in a dark fantasy world. With a focus on visceral action combat, powerful items and deep character customization, Path of Exile is completely free and will never be pay-to-win.

Key Features

• Freedom. Power. Revenge.
    Banished for your misdeeds to the dark, brutal world of Wraeclast, you play as the Duelist, Witch, Ranger, Templar, Marauder, Shadow or the newly added Scion class. From forsaken shores through to the ruined city of Sarn, explore Wraeclast and uncover the ancient secrets waiting for you.
  • Unlimited Character Customization
    Create and customize hundreds of unique skill combinations from tradable itemized gems and our gigantic passive skill tree. Combine skill gems, support gems and trigger gems to create your own unique combination of power, defense and destruction.
  • Dressed to Kill
    Path of Exile is all about items. Find, collect and trade magic, rare and unique items with arcane properties, then customize your character build around the deadliest combinations you possess.
  • Brutal Competitive Play
    Battle in PvP tournaments seasons and Capture the Flag events for worldwide recognition. Compete in Daily Leagues and Race Events that run as separate game worlds with their own ladders and economies to win valuable prizes.
  • Fair-To-Play. Never Pay-To-Win.
    We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in Path of Exile.
More information.

yeah, I noticed it

I'll probably take it for a spin with the new lady.

I'm not one to compete in leagues and such.. too much commitment for to little reward. )

Game jumped to top 10 in steam most played, add that to 3 million players that game had before going to steam.Those are some serious numbers.

By far best aRPG that come out in last few years imo.

Game is quite impressive for such a small team. Only real issue for me is the dreadful story presentation and the lack of acts/content.

I don't play aRPGs for the story (barely pay attention to it really). I'm in it for the combat mechanics specially the skill interactions and building characters. I played PoE some but couldn't really get into it. While the passive tree is the most impressive I've seen so far, I really didn't like tying skills to gems. My character can only do special moves if he has a certain item? Don't really remember why this bothered me so much but it's one of the reasons why I stopped playing.

I don't play it for the story either - but it's definitely part of the appeal all the same.

Game is quite impressive for such a small team. Only real issue for me is the dreadful story presentation and the lack of acts/content.

Actually the writing and voice acting is stellar. I've been blown away several times at the incredibly vivid descriptions and witty statements made by many NPCs. Likewise every voice actor delivers very excellent performances IMO. Basically, it blows D3 away since D3's writing was positively drivel.

But yeah, there aren't any cool cutscenes or videos and such, so I'll grant you the presentation is simply based around speaking to static NPCs.

But on the content side, I wager POE has more actual content than D3 regarding levels and areas.

Actually the writing and voice acting is stellar. I've been blown away several times at the incredibly vivid descriptions and witty statements made by many NPCs. Likewise every voice actor delivers very excellent performances IMO. Basically, it blows D3 away since D3's writing was positively drivel.

But yeah, there aren't any cool cutscenes or videos and such, so I'll grant you the presentation is simply based around speaking to static NPCs.

But on the content side, I wager POE has more actual content than D3 regarding levels and areas.

Unfortunately, story presentation is essential to deliver the story - at least for me. I didn't see anything worthy of note in beta - and I most certainly wasn't blown away.

As for content - no - I'm absolutely certain it has nothing on D3. It does have some cool mechanics for the levels, though.

But to each his own.

Unfortunately, story presentation is essential to deliver the story - at least for me.

As for content - no - I'm absolutely certain it has nothing on D3. It does have some cool mechanics for the levels, though.

But to each his own.

I hear you about the story. I was just glad it is entirely voice acted. And if you do play it again, do note the dialogue. It tends to be exceptionally good, IMO.

On the content area side, I would be curious to compare it with D3. I think POE easily has more playable areas, having about 10 locations per Act with 3 Acts. D3 has a bit less than this I think. But granted, D3 locations are mostly manually created and not random like POE.

Anyway, if I had to pick one game, I'd without question pick D3 for PS3 (or XBox). As wacky as this sounds, I find D3 on consoles to be such a sublime experience gameplay wise. Loot on D3 console is so perfect and rewarding. POE has a variety of loot to be sure, but POE is admittedly more esoteric and has terrible combat compared to D3 on console.

(I despise D3 on PC. Please no one speak of it. :) )

I think you're right that PoE has more level randomization and layout variety - but in terms of assets (as in, actual visual/audio content) - D3 has much more.

But that's only natural, given the size of Blizzard and their wallet :)

Personally, I think D3 on any platform is the better game overall - but it won't really come into its own until the expansion hits.

I love a lot about PoE - but it's lacking some of the essentials - but that's all down to personal preferences, obviously.

I am looking for 2 things in aRPG:

1.Character development and itemization where PoE is light years ahead.D3 doesn't even have character development.

2.Gameplay mechanics, ideally I want game where you can make DotA/LoL like moves and combos.Neither of those 2 games have that.

So in those terms PoE is far better game for me because D is lacking 2 core elements I am looking for and PoE excels at at least one.

Back
Top Bottom