Might & Magic - Heroes of Might & Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia HD Edition

killias2

Disastrous Fate
Might & Magic - Heroes of Might & Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia HD Edition

According to the Might & Magic: Heroes VII website, an HD update for Heroes of Might & Magic III has been announced:

With the end of the year approaching, we are coming close to a key milestone for the Heroes saga. Indeed, as many of you already know, this year marks the 15th anniversary of the acclaimed Heroes of Might & Magic III – The Restoration of Erathia but also the upcoming 20th anniversary of the Heroes saga!

To celebrate those great events, we decided to fulfil a great project we have been thinking of for many years now. Last year we identified a competent partner to work with (aka DotEmu) and started to give birth to a new experience for all the fans of Heroes III – Restoration of Erathia!
In addition to the HD upgrade, the new release will be coming to Steam/Android/iPad, and the Steam release will "benefit from Steam multiplayer features."
Unfortunately, this is only for The Restoration of Erathia:

But why only RoE? To understand the origin of the project and its development we need to go back to 2003. At that time we asked New World Computing to retrieve their archives for all the Might & Magic titles. We found tons of documentation and data but regarding Heroes III we had nothing but the usable source code of Heroes III Restoration of Erathia.
A video of the HD upgrade process was also included:

More information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still play HoMM3 from time to time, so I might be interested in this if there are enough improvements. That being said: It has aged extremely well, so I'm not sure how much they can do exactly.

Why would anyone get this when it's only for one of the campaigns and a patch already allows you to play in HD for free, and you forego the extremely rich collection of custom campaigns?

Moreover I don't trust them not to degrade the original art. There was nothing wrong with it, it still looks beautiful today. There is no need to "retouch" it.

Why would anyone get this when it's only for one of the campaigns and a patch already allows you to play in HD for free, and you forego the extremely rich collection of custom campaigns?

For me it is the iPad and Android releases that are of interest.

HOMM III has excellent GUI design: the game can be studied extensively from development viewpoint, then why do most indies design crappy GUI?

HOMMIII was the last of the series I was really interested in. Later on, it was boring and kinda unwieldy. *shrug*

Back
Top Bottom