Big Huge Games - R.A. Salvatore Interview @ Gamasutra

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Gamasutra caught up with fantasy author R.A. Salvatore to discuss his role in the development of Project Copernicus and Project Mercury for 38 Studios. As a reminder, 38 Studios is the company founded by baseballer Curt Schilling to make an MMO, who then bought Big Huge Games with their Ken Rolston RPG:
So, what is your role on the Copernicus and Mercury projects? Are you world-building? Are you getting down into the nitty-gritty of actually writing the script?

R. A. Salvatore: At this point I'm world-building. When I came in, I took the basic idea that Curt and his gang wanted to do an MMO, and I turned it into an MMO for them. I created a very detailed history of the world and created all the different regions with a team.

And then of course we hired in a bunch of people: Steve Danuser (EverQuest II), Ryan Shwayder (EverQuest II), and Mike Woods were the first three to come. And we built this world, race by race, and made everything make sense in the world.

My actual title was Creator of Worlds, which I thought was pretty cool. I was a COW. So, when Big Huge Games came along, my job, along with some of the other guys, was to show them what we were doing and give them a ton of information. Then Ken Rolston (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion) and Mark Nelson (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind) created a story that would fit within that world.

I went down and worked with them a little bit on the story but my job, right now, more than anything else, is making sure the world smells the same no matter which part of the world you're in, whether you're talking about the art, the music, whatever.

When they show me what they're doing, I always say, "Does this fit? Where does this fit? How does this fit?" Right now, I'm like a kind of den mother to all these creative people more than anything else.
More information.

They are making an epic single player RPG? Color me interested..

With Todd McFarlane, RA Salvatore and Ken Rolston seems like a chance at something good will come of it. Originally when it was just an MMO I had not interest.

Can't see any mention of a single player RPG in the interview.. ?

In any case, at least the MMO world should be interesting. We know nothing of the actual gameplay though.

I somehow missed these projects 'till now. I'm definitely goin' to keep an eye on them, from now on.

In that case I'll definetly pay attention to these projects!

R. A. Salvatore wrote a couple interesting books and then pretty much keeps writing the same exact story over and over. Hopefully, he'll bring something new to his storylines in a crpg setting. I'm really tired of the "supposedly evil, but deep down good" guys that he loves to write about. The name Drizzt almost causes me physical illness :) I almost didn't buy The Witcher at first because Geralt looked like a re-written Drizzt at first glance. Glad I gave that game a chance, so I'll be happy to keep an open mind with this one too.

I actually like the Drizzt series a lot. A nice change of pace compared to most fantasy novels - good reading when using public transportation, airplanes and similar (reading Wheel of Time during 10-15 min daily bus rides is pointless).

He isn't writing the storyline if you read the interview, just the setting, and I always thought he did a pretty good job with the Drow setting in the Forgotten Realms, especially considering the shallowness of the setting.

Back
Top Bottom