Baldur's Gate 3 - Pre-Patch Announcement

It's weird that Swen contradicts himself like that, but I think referring to the dice rolls as hard was just a poor choice of words on his part.

As he says in the latter paragraph, it's pure RNG. There's nothing easy or hard about that, it's completely random. Like he said, some people are just getting pissed because of having bad luck sometimes, but that's how RNG works. It can seem like it's working against you but it's not.
Perhaps he wanted to say that the DCs were too high and thus it was too hard to have a success.

Like in having success with a 20% chance is harder than having success with a 80% chance.

It's weird that Swen contradicts himself like that, but I think referring to the dice rolls as hard was just a poor choice of words on his part.

As he says in the latter paragraph, it's pure RNG. There's nothing easy or hard about that, it's completely random. Like he said, some people are just getting pissed because of having bad luck sometimes, but that's how RNG works. It can seem like it's working against you but it's not.
I understood it as "hard evidence", in the sense it's concrete and indisputable, the roll is there and that's that, no dicussion on whether you have enough skill to succeed or not:

(Oxford Dictionary, "hard")
9. facts/evidence
​[only before noun] definitely true and based on information that can be proved
- Is there any hard evidence either way?
- The newspaper story is based on hard facts.

I like it that the followers aren't always kissing my characters ass. It was a bit odd at first after so many games where followers are more like thralls to the player. But I enjoyed it. The Geth woman, she was loads of fun. I confess my Drow Rogue had a lot of fun antagonizing her.

And I am surprised they said they only put in neutral or evil characters as Gale and the warlock dude both seem on the good side. But I suppose neutral could work since they both did something you could argue wasn't very good. Still both tend to like it when you make "good" choices or decisions.
Lae'zel is something, isn't she? :D Some fierce and feisty warrior. And she can't stand Shadowheart, so having them together is fun. Add Wyll to the mix, who'll try to hit on her and get biting responses, it certainly won't be boring.

I'm not sure I'd put Gale on the good side, he's pretty selfish-neutral, no? ;) But definitely not evil (except if you fail his miserable revive protocol).
Btw, everytime there's one of those "more info" links on announcement posts like this, the link just takes me to the very thread I was already on. Instead of a source, like I would assume would be the result.
The link brings me from the forum URL to the newsbit URL (in a new tab), which only has the news post, and the game info box on the right with the handy "Details" link. Perhaps your browser blocks the new tab?

Perhaps he wanted to say that the DCs were too high and thus it was too hard to have a success.

Like in having success with a 20% chance is harder than having success with a 80% chance.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure why he would say dice rolls instead of DCs if that's what he was referring to.

Either way, I hope they don't make any changes unless they're in the form of having more difficulty options.

Last edited:
I wonder when this will arrive? "soon/around the corner" is not very specific ;-)

I finally buckled and played the EA for about 28 hours. I have mixed feelings about it.
Overall, positive, but still doesn't really 'feel' like a BG game - there are still too many DOS moments, exploding traps, gas clouds, steam and icy/flaming/poisonous/acid surfaces. And blood. So much blood...where does it all come from? Cut someone and they seem to squirt out 20 liters of the stuff (which can still be modified etc). All of which I *loathed* in DOS2 - much as I enjoyed the base game. They have even changed how spells work from 5E to pretty much 'force' (inflict?) these on you. Cast a firebolt - it does less damages, but now sets surfaces on fire (in base 5E you can firebolt a person, and it won't impact people near them). Ray of frost causes freezing patch (which everyone slips on, repeatedly). I really don't like that. Hopefully they'll be convinced to tone down all of that before the final release. Also, the pathing is way worse than DOS2 - characters constantly run through known traps/areas (like acid), path oddly to get places. Sure this will improve with time though.

I am enjoying the characters and story as well as the environment. Another odd immersion breaker - I can be standing anywhere out of combat, and 'sleep for the night"...which magically seems to move my party to our beautiful camp (there is no story device for this and it is really silly).

I didn't realise there was a very low level cap at 4 for EA - otherwise I would have stopped playing. So spent several hours accumulating XP that I couldn't use - and I pushed, because level 5 is the first big power break in 5E. Wizards get level 3 spells, fighters, a second attack etc. I think I've had enough and will wait until several updates down the line.

Another odd immersion breaker - I can be standing anywhere out of combat, and 'sleep for the night"…which magically seems to move my party to our beautiful camp (there is no story device for this and it is really silly).

Yeah, I thought that was weird at first too, but I'm not sure how else they could have done it.

The biggest immersion breaker to me is the voice acting for some of the enemies. How is it that every monster can suddenly speak Common perfectly? Not only that, but a lot of them have English accents which is just dumb. The goblins sound like they just immigrated from the UK.

Last edited:
People love to complain about RNG. Go over to the Steam forums on Battle Brothers. People cry all the time about their luck in BB. I have played that game for 1700 hours and the rolls are truly random. You just remember the bad ones that get your favorite mercenary killed.

there are still too many DOS moments, exploding traps, gas clouds, steam and icy/flaming/poisonous/acid surfaces. And blood. So much blood…where does it all come from? Cut someone and they seem to squirt out 20 liters of the stuff (which can still be modified etc). All of which I *loathed* in DOS2 - much as I enjoyed the base game.
You echo my very own sentiments about these two games! I would also add the group selection (with the awkward chain gizmo) on my personal list of griefs ;)

I'd be curious to see a poll on those AoE, I'm not sure many people really enjoy them so much. If only that was a bit more subtle.
Yeah, I thought that was weird at first too, but I'm not sure how else they could have done it.
They could have done it like Pathfinder, you set up your camp where there is enough room for it, by moving a ghost pre-rendering of it until you find the right spot. It's just spawning a few bedrolls and a campfire. Or it could be pre-determined locations with an old campfire as a hint (or any other way to guide the player to a location nearby).

But they're also using the camp for other purposes, so I think we can definitely forget about any change ;)
The goblins sound like they just immigrated from the UK.
Brexit has its toll..

The biggest immersion breaker to me is the voice acting for some of the enemies. How is it that every monster can suddenly speak Common perfectly? Not only that, but a lot of them have English accents which is just dumb. The goblins sound like they just immigrated from the UK.

Maybe Belgians think that the English look like goblins? Can't really blame them. Look at Ozzy, for example.

Wondering if I should buy the game before they make changes to the story. Perhaps it will appear on Steams Autumn sale.

It isn't. But fortunately, Solasta and Wasteland 3 are there. This autumn black friday sale is going to be expensive, for me :)

The goblins sound like they just immigrated from the UK.
Well, I guess they're well educated having studied in Oxford or Cambridge. ;)

I wonder when this will arrive? "soon/around the corner" is not very specific ;-)
Answered before many times already but it should be complete by next year if were lucky according to the EA FAQ, and maybe 2022 at the latest if they need more time.

*scratch sound*
Narrator: “They needed more time.“

Wanna bet it's released next year? I'm game if you are. Only say this as Act one of three is mostly done. Early info suggests they will release a new act every 5-6 months.

So something will have to wrong or Larian pulls a Josh Sawyer to release in 2022.

(That's inside humor about endless patching classes for perfection)

Answered before many times already but it should be complete by next year if were lucky according to the EA FAQ, and maybe 2022 at the latest if they need more time.

I meant this new patch...which they claim is 'just around the corner". I know the game will be in EA for some time.

Said I'd finished...but went back, and ended up running into 2 minotaurs with my 4th level party...*crit*stomp*gore*smash*...2 dead. I was unlucky with my rolls admittedly, but they do an average of 25/26 if they charge and gore and they get advantage every round ('reckless'...sure, you get advantage too, but they have 76 hp...I
guess you are meant to be level 5)

I meant this new patch…which they claim is 'just around the corner". I know the game will be in EA for some time.

Said I'd finished…but went back, and ended up running into 2 minotaurs with my 4th level party…*crit*stomp*gore*smash*…2 dead. I was unlucky with my rolls admittedly, but they do an average of 25/26 if they charge and gore and they get advantage every round ('reckless'…sure, you get advantage too, but they have 76 hp…I

Wait until you see the Bulette.. it's nasty.

I hope it's a week-end type of corner, for the update, or perhaps the corner of the month ;) We'll see.

Wanna bet it's released next year? I'm game if you are.
Depends on the quota. ;)
My guess is ~60% for a release in 2021, and ~35% for a release in 2022.

So I suggest we make a bet: If it's released in 2021, you get 1 something from me, if it gets released in 2022, I get 2 somethings from you.

Last edited:
Darn! *quickly fixes stupid error*

But why 100%? It's 95% for 2021/2022.
(I'm leaving the final 5% for 2023 or an apokalypse.)

I meant this new patch ¦which they claim is 'just around the corner". I know the game will be in EA for some time.
Sorry about that olive branch offered with apologizes.:party:
As for that bet I'm confident as Larian isn't a small indie studio milking Early Access for 5+ years. The have multiple studios with 100's of employees now on a worldwide scale.

The basics of the game are done it's content, bug fixes and tech work now.

I meant this new patch…which they claim is 'just around the corner". I know the game will be in EA for some time.

Said I'd finished…but went back, and ended up running into 2 minotaurs with my 4th level party…*crit*stomp*gore*smash*…2 dead. I was unlucky with my rolls admittedly, but they do an average of 25/26 if they charge and gore and they get advantage every round ('reckless'…sure, you get advantage too, but they have 76 hp…I

Nah. Think they said the game was released on hard only for the difficulty. Normally I play on easy but had no choice but to really learn the classes and abilities. On my third play through I managed to defeat all the big bosses and battles with no cheats or exploits or even AI hacks. It did take a few tries though.

The 2 minotaurs were not bad compared to all the hooked horrors, or the matriarch phase spider queen, or the Spectator (like a Beholder) and Drow, or the Hag, or some of the larger fights.

Normally I don't sink that much time into combat but since I knew there wasn't going to be any more content for a while I focused on tactics and got pretty good all things considered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom