The Callisto Protocol - Sci-fi horror from the creators of Dead Space. - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » The Callisto Protocol - Sci-fi horror from the creators of Dead Space.

Default The Callisto Protocol - Sci-fi horror from the creators of Dead Space.

January 9th, 2021, 09:00
It looks like we might finally be getting a worthy successor to Dead Space.

loading…

https://www.callistothegame.com/en

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

January 9th, 2021, 09:15
Yeah, it was announced during the Game Awards, and I forgot all about it afterwards. Looks promising.

One weird thing is that apparently it's set in the PUBG setting, much in the future. After some digging it appears the team working on this is under the PUBG corporation. That's a bit weird. I hope there's nothing recognizable about PUBG in it.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

January 9th, 2021, 09:27
Good catch it's SP at least, but what the hell is PUBG?

My search engine just recommends a game.
--
In the words of George Carlin -"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners"

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)

January 9th, 2021, 10:12
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Good catch it's SP at least, but what the hell is PUBG?

My search engine just recommends a game.
Yeah, that's it. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.

https://www.pcgamer.com/survival-hor…r-some-reason/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Schofield

In June 2019, Schofield announced that he was joining PUBG Corporation as the CEO of a new development team called Striking Distance Studios. Under Schofield, the studio will be developing a game with a narrative experience set in the PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds's universe.[12][13] The game, The Callisto Protocol, was revealed at The Game Awards 2020 and planned for release in 2022.[14]

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

January 9th, 2021, 11:47
From what I can gather, the connection tp PUBG is going to be vague at best. This looks like a serious horror title, so I don't think we'll see any of the silliness that PUBG is known for.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 9th, 2021, 11:53
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
From what I can gather, the connection tp PUBG is going to be vague at best. This looks like a serious horror title, so I don't think we'll see any of the silliness that PUBG is known for.
That's what I hope. But then why even place it in the PUBG universe, unless you somehow mean to use that. I hope they don't believe that people that usually play PUBG will try a horror game just because it's in the same universe. What even is the PUBG universe? From the light touches I've had with it I've not seen anything that you could say is iconic for PUBG. We'll see.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

January 9th, 2021, 12:08
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
That's what I hope. But then why even place it in the PUBG universe, unless you somehow mean to use that. I hope they don't believe that people that usually play PUBG will try a horror game just because it's in the same universe. What even is the PUBG universe? From the light touches I've had with it I've not seen anything that you could say is iconic for PUBG. We'll see.
Not sure, but the project lead was one of the co-creators of Dead Space, so he knows how to do quality horror. Maybe the PUBG connection is being forced by the publisher.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 9th, 2021, 12:32
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Not sure, but the project lead was one of the co-creators of Dead Space, so he knows how to do quality horror. Maybe the PUBG connection is being forced by the publisher.
That's what it feels like. That the publisher has some plans. But of all universes to choose to expand, PUBG seems like one of the most generic and poorly scraped together.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

January 9th, 2021, 13:03
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
That's what it feels like. That the publisher has some plans. But of all universes to choose to expand, PUBG seems like one of the most generic and poorly scraped together.
Yeah, I've never played PUBG, and have no desire to do so, but what I've seen of it looked pretty goofy.

It's a battle royale though, so I don't think worldbuilding was a priority.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 9th, 2021, 17:55
I'll be all over this so long as it's not an online game, and I can fully play it just on my own. Dead Space was awesome!! But no online requirements, por favor!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

January 9th, 2021, 18:10
I've often thought that someone should do a "spiritual successor" to Dead Space. It may not have made quite enough megabucks for EA, but it was a very well-liked franchise, with sales that would be great for most studios.

Hopefully the PUBG connection will be inconsequential. I could do without seeing, "Winner winner, chicken dinner!" when I'm kerb-stomping necromorphs.
--
"An era can be considered over when its basic illusions have been exhausted." Arthur Miller

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
+1:

January 15th, 2021, 13:01
As a side-note : Callisto is the name of one of Juper's moons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callisto_(moon)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callisto_(mythology)
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

January 16th, 2021, 04:26
I think you missed the last ) in both those links, @Alrik Fassbauer.

(Callisto has nothing to do with pirates and Davy Jones?? Did Disney lie to me!? ;)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » The Callisto Protocol - Sci-fi horror from the creators of Dead Space.