Baldur's Gate 3 - Gameplay and Impressions

Baldur's Gate 3: Deadly Boots.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

And those were ordinary leather boots. You can imagine what we can do when we get a pair of Adamantine Boots:

"Hey, let's not provoke the man, he's wearing a pair of Atom Bombs!"

I wonder if this will be a thing, metal greaves doing more damage than leather boots... would be cool.

I know the 5th Edition allows some form of "Improvised Weapons" (5th Ed PHB, pages 147/148) but in the particular case of "throwing boots" I think all this thing is bit too much.

Again, I know some form of adaptation is necessary when "porting" the rules from the books to the game but c'mon, doing lots of damage by throwing leather boots at the enemies????

Last edited:
It was a low level enemy that got killed by flying boots in the video. I think it was something like 3 damages. It' not unreasonable...

It was a low level enemy that got killed by flying boots in the video. I think it was something like 3 damages. It' not unreasonable…

Make no mistake, I still liked what I saw in the video. Graphics-wise, Larian is doing a great job; maybe turn-based is the best way to play this game; and I see no problems with the D:OS2 engine.

I'm just afraid of all ths "boot-throwing for real", "Mage Hand that can push you off a cliff" , and all.

Yeah, the "jump out of opportunity attacks" worries me the most.

It was a low level enemy that got killed by flying boots in the video. I think it was something like 3 damages. It' not unreasonable…

It was an intellect devourer.

Intellect devourer

I’m choosing to just ignore the name.

If they had just announced they were making a TB D&D game the mood around here would be very different I suspect. Excitement, anticipation.

Instead just because the name on the box says BG3 the overall mood seems to be somewhat negative and apprehensive.

All I know is before the kickstarter craze started and we got games like POE and DOS I thought this genre was dead except for the occasional indie.

So I’m just going to enjoy the renaissance and ride the wave till it ends.

In Pathfinder, you can use acrobatics to move through a threatened square without incurring an opportunity attack. Is it anything like that in the video?

It’s called 5-ft step in D&D, I didn’t see that ability in the video but it’s pre alpha.

It’s called 5-ft step in D&D, I didn’t see that ability in the video but it’s pre alpha.

I believe the famous 5-foot step doesn't exist anymore in 5th Ed. It did exist in D&D 3rd Edition. Actually, as per the 5E PHB, you can *normally* make Attacks of Opportunity only when your opponent moves out of your threatened area without using a maneuver like Disengage (PHB, pg 192):
'lf you take the Disengage action, your movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn."

About Opportunity Attacks (PHB, pg. 195):
"Vou can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach. To make the opportunity attack, you use your reaction to make one melee atlack against the provoking creature."

That being said, it is quite normal that a character (in D&D 5th Edition) moves through a threatened area without incurring opportunity attacks. So, I believe this is not presented in the video not because it is a pre-alpha footage but because the game will use 5E ruleset and Larian simply didn't implement such attacks.

Sorry for derailing the thread, I only meant to make some 5E rules clear. I'll try to stick to thread's subject (whenever possible, of course :))

That's different. The use of acrobatics is when you start in a non-threatened square and end up in a non-threatened square, but pass through a threatened square in the process of moving. A 5 foot step is generally used to get distance from an enemy you're already adjacent to (so you can cast a spell or fire a ranged weapon, for example, or to flank)

It was an intellect devourer.
Must some weak version because it's the first enemy you encounter in the game, apparently (instead of the usual rats).

In Pathfinder, you can use acrobatics to move through a threatened square without incurring an opportunity attack. Is it anything like that in the video?
It doesn't look like it's an Acrobatics check.
In the video, every character seem to be able to use one jump by fight, and use that jump to evade (without any checks)…
Maybe it counts as a Movement action IDK. Still seems OP.

Last edited:
I believe the famous 5-foot step doesn't exist anymore in 5th Ed. It did exist in D&D 3rd Edition. Actually, as per the 5E PHB, you can *normally* make Attacks of Opportunity only when your opponent moves out of your threatened area without using a maneuver like Disengage (PHB, pg 192):
'lf you take the Disengage action, your movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn."

About Opportunity Attacks (PHB, pg. 195):
"Vou can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach. To make the opportunity attack, you use your reaction to make one melee atlack against the provoking creature."

That being said, it is quite normal that a character (in D&D 5th Edition) moves through a threatened area without incurring opportunity attacks. So, I believe this is not presented in the video not because it is a pre-alpha footage but because the game will use 5E ruleset and Larian simply didn't implement such attacks.

Sorry for derailing the thread, I only meant to make some 5E rules clear. I'll try to stick to thread's subject (whenever possible, of course :))

I've been lobbying hard for 5ft step in threads here too, and it no longer exists. :lol:

Gonna have to brush up on 5e i'm still stuck on 3.5.

I don't think it's OT to post about rules in a gameplay thread. Thanks for the info.

I've been lobbying hard for 5ft step in threads here too, and it no longer exists. :lol:

Gonna have to brush up on 5e i'm still stuck on 3.5.

I don't think it's OT to post about rules in a gameplay thread. Thanks for the info.

Actually, now in 5E you can move, attack, and then, if you want to, make the remain of your movement (if left). So, that famous 5-ft step is now part of your movement.

Example: if your character's speed is 30 ft, you can walk 10-ft, attack an enemy and then move the remaining 20-ft. You don't suffer an opportunity attack by simply entering or moving around a threatened area (even if such enemy is a Storm Giant). Of course, like I said above, if you use those remaining 20-ft to move OUT OF an area threatened by the enemy, you will suffer an opportunity attack.

Last edited:
I don't mind it, because I never expected a sequel. In the end, it's just a name. But it might have been better received that way.

BG3 os high on expected vid product list and is GOTY depending on moment of release (it will take a strong contender to deprive it)

What better reception.

BG3 os high on expected vid product list and is GOTY depending on moment of release (it will take a strong contender to deprive it)

What better reception.

Better reception of the announcement / presentation rather than the actual game. Meaning a reduction of feedback in the vein of "This is not a real sequel".

I'm just afraid of all ths "boot-throwing for real", "Mage Hand that can push you off a cliff" , and all.

*Thief: sneak*

*Thief: sneak

*Thief: sneak*

*Thief: attempts improvised sneak-attack on Battlemage with golden pantaloons*

*Thief: critical hit*

*Battlemage: suffers 43 Damage from being strangled with golden pantaloons*

*Battlemage: dies*

Actually, now in 5E you can move, attack, and then, if you want to, make the remain of your movement (if left). So, that famous 5-ft step is now part of your movement.

Example: if your character's speed is 30 ft, you can walk 10-ft, attack an enemy and then move the remaining 20-ft. You don't suffer an opportunity attack by simply entering or moving around an threatened area (even if such enemy is a Storm Giant). Of course, like I said above, if you use those remaining 20-ft to move OUT OF an area threatened by the enemy, you will suffer an opportunity attack.

Yeah i saw that in the BG3 video. It seems that movement is separate from actions now rather than just having X amount of action points which are for movement and actions.

I know the 5th Edition allows some form of "Improvised Weapons" (5th Ed PHB, pages 147/148) but in the particular case of "throwing boots" I think all this thing is bit too much.

Again, I know some form of adaptation is necessary when "porting" the rules from the books to the game but c'mon, doing lots of damage by throwing leather boots at the enemies????

Shoe throwing is a real thing!

*Assasin: attacks Bush with the right boot of asskicking*
*Assasin: attack roll 4 - 0 = 4 Miss*
*Assasin: attacks Bush with the left boot of asskicking*
*Secret Service 1: attacks assasin
*Assasin: takes 79 damage from secret service.
*Secret Service 2: attacks assasin
*Assasin: takes 70 damage from secret service.
*Secret Service 3: attacks assasin
*Assasin: takes 62 damage from secret service.
*Assasin: death*
*The party has gained experience: 450*

Shoe throwing is a real thing!

*Assasin: attacks Bush with the right boot of asskicking*
*Assasin: attacks Bush with the left boot of asskicking*
*Secret Service 1: attacks assasin
*Assasin: takes 79 damage from secret service.
*Secret Service 2: attacks assasin
*Assasin: takes 70 damage from secret service.
*Secret Service 3: attacks assasin
*Assasin: takes 62 damage from secret service.
*Assasin: death*
*The party has gained experience: 450*

Yeah, I forgot that :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Back
Top Bottom