Coronavirus (No Politics)

I've been refreshing an interactive site regarding Florida every 12 hours. I occasionally read the recently penned articles. In response to some of these articles, you have idiots crying out for their constitutional right to assembly, and how the typical Flu has a higher death toll. Florida is a den of morons and I regret ever moving down here.

People are doing that everywhere not just Florida. I dealt with plenty of morons when I lived up north. The only difference is that now I'm not freezing my ass off for more than half the year.

Besides, I'm pretty sure most of the idiots that were still partying at the beaches just a few weeks ago weren't Floridians. They were spring-breakers and snowbirds.

What future protagonists?
Aliens? Because we all die?

pic.jpg

This virus is already getting on my nerves. As my house burned down, one reallative died of a heart attack, one more is dying, and I'm broke and unemployed. At least the state put my family in a hotel. I feel like shit right now.

This virus is already getting on my nerves. As my house burned down, one reallative died of a heart attack, one more is dying, and I'm broke and unemployed. At least the state put my family in a hotel. I feel like shit right now.

Sorry to hear that. All the best for you and your family.

Man, that's some bad luck. Hope it turns around for you.

It is with much embarrassment and trepidation I give you professional wrestling without crowds:
WrestleMania is happening today! IN FLORIDA!!

P.S. That ref's been around since, like, the 80's.

I've always been baffled by professional wrestling, and it blew my mind a little seeing it without a crowd.

Moved all the political ramblings to P&R. Let’s try better in keeping some political distance.

That is some really bad news. I do hope you and your family get through this.

Damn, that's awful. Never a good thing to happen, but all at once... I really wish you and your family all the strength that you need to get through this, and to recover from this quickly.

@Couchpotato; Are you being serious? I thought you were joking when I first read it, that is too much bad luck to happen to somebody right now.

Sorry to hear the sad news @Couchpotato;, sounds very rough!

Just doing some comparisons for death rates out of curiosity.

"In 2017, gun deaths reached their highest level since 1968 with 39,773 deaths by firearm, of which 23,854 were by suicide and 14,542 were homicides. The rate of firearm deaths per 100,000 people rose from 10.3 per 100,000 in 1999 to 12 per 100,000 in 2017, with 109 people dying per day."

Deaths in US from COVID so far: 8,454

Estimated elderly lives saved from lack of pollution in China in last two months due to social distancing practices (https://www.theatlantic.com/science...irus-pandemic-earth-pollution-noise/609316/):

According to an analysis by Marshall Burke, a professor in Stanford’s Earth-system science department, a pandemic-related reduction in particulate matter in the atmosphere—the deadliest form of air pollution—likely saved the lives of 4,000 young children and 73,000 elderly adults in China over two months this year.

World Wide COVID deaths 65,711.

Leading causes of death US per year: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

Just doing some comparisons for death rates out of curiosity. […]

Deaths in US from COVID so far: 8,454 […]

Leading causes of death US per year: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

I'm always up for numerical comparisons, but you are certainly aware that you are comparing annual effects of several causes that are roughly constant in time to the effects of something that has been growing exponentially for about two months?

Thus, it's not the number of deaths so far that people are most concerned about - it's the number of deaths yet to come. Up to February 28th, a little more than a month ago, the U.S. had not recorded a single death from COVID-19. Now, it's over 1000 per day. If that were to stay constant (which it won't), this daily rate would already place it in the 3rd spot of your list of leading causes of death. That is indeed putting things into a perspective that I hadn't really been aware of before either. From nil to third most leading daily cause of death in a few weeks - that is chilling.

And if it actually increases, you will not only have people die because of it, but have "secondary" deaths of people who die, because there is no capactiy of any treatment available anymore.
1000 deaths in a scenario with capacities can easily translate to 5000 deaths in a scenario where the capacities are capped out at a very low number. As there is no treatment, using breathing machines for as long as it is bad, can be the only way to save lifes. If these spots run out, all people who would have needed one, would just die.

I'm always up for numerical comparisons, but you are certainly aware that you are comparing annual effects of several causes that are roughly constant in time to the effects of something that has been growing exponentially for about two months?

Thus, it's not the number of deaths so far that people are most concerned about - it's the number of deaths yet to come. Up to February 28th, a little more than a month ago, the U.S. had not recorded a single death from COVID-19. Now, it's over 1000 per day. If that were to stay constant (which it won't), this daily rate would already place it in the 3rd spot of your list of leading causes of death. That is indeed putting things into a perspective that I hadn't really been aware of before either. From nil to third most leading daily cause of death in a few weeks - that is chilling.

I wasn't making any assumptions although clearly you are. I was simply curious to see what the current death rate of COVID was to other ways of dying. Of course you can't compare annual death rates to something that has no annual rate at this point as its only been around a couple months. It will be more interesting to compare once we have that data but since we don't have it I had to go with what I could find - which was as I said, curiosity to see how it compared currently.

@Couchpotato; Are you being serious? I thought you were joking when I first read it, that is too much bad luck to happen to somebody right now.

I'm being serious the fire was back on February 20th right before the virus lockdown. It doesn't help that I live in the virus epicenter near NY, NJ, and CT. It just keeps getting worse.

Back
Top Bottom