Sentinels of Freedom - RPG like Freedom Force now available

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Sentinels of Freedom is a tactical RPG where you create your own superheroes, set in the Sentinel Comics universe. It is now available on Steam.

Prepare for a story-driven campaign within the Sentinel Comics universe as you join forces with an ever-growing team of heroes to face a wide variety of villains. What seems like a typical bank heist reveals itself to be just the beginning of a much more sinister plan! Create your hero, gather your team, and save the world in this exciting new turn-based strategy!

• Build your Team - select from the many available heroes and unlock more throughout
  • Full story campaign - writers and creators from Sentinel Comics
  • Freeform movement - Turn Based game that allows you to move anywhere
  • Squad dynamics - heroes or villains can work together for more powerful actions
  • Living Environments - multiple objectives, interactions and dangers
  • Create your Hero - choose backstory, archetype, powers, and appearance
What kind of hero will you be?

Sentinels of Freedom will feature Chapter 1 - as a self contained story - on release with many levels, new heroes and villains, along with hero upgrades. Chapter 2 will release shortly after in 2020 with other chapters planned to follow.

Custom Heroes
Choose the character's backstory, personality, power source, abilities and costume. Heroes have "stances" that provide boosts to certain stats like extra movement along with powerful sets of abilities and can be fully customized to fit your play style.

Build your hero from 12 exciting themes - fill your stances with powerful abilities from any three:

• Power Melee - When you really want to hit someone really hard.
  • Combos - Concentrate your attacks, spread 'em out, or bring a friend!
  • Supportive - Whether protecting or attacking, the right move requires no planning.
  • Blaster - Attack as many as you can in several different areas!
  • Interceptor - Never let an enemy out of your sights and punish wrong moves.
  • Minions - Disposable and endless, have your own minions fight for you!
  • Gadgets - Deploy an arsenal of gadgets that eliminate all who oppose you.
  • And more!

Creating a superhero identity is more than a costume selection! Choose how your hero uses their abilities, different weapons, attack styles, and special effects; some themes even have different types of units that you can summon. Refine your heroic identity throughout the game - changing everything about how your hero looks, all the way down to your hero's body type, between any mission.

Sync and Vigilance Actions
Sync and Vigilance actions add life to the battlefield when characters perform additional actions out of sequence, triggered by special conditions. When a character performs an action, sync actions allow other characters to take part or enhance that action, like a character creating a distraction to remove the target's Evade defense before an attack lands. Positioning your team to take advantage of these extra actions can be critical to the success of a mission.

Vigilance allows an inactive character to react to the active character based on various triggers, such as moving through their line of sight. Each character has a "vigilance zone" around them which sets the chance of the vigilance action happening. These actions can go much further than the standard overwatch with actions like "keep cover" which allows a character to try and find new cover when flanked.

Large Scale Missions
Players will embark on several missions throughout the campaign. These missions are broken up into groups of engagements - each offering unique objectives, enemy types and player choice on where to go next - keeping each feeling fresh and unique. Another benefit to these smaller engagements is that the player will not be overwhelmed by both the quantity of enemies and time for each turn. However, stringing all these engagements together still allows the player to feel like their heroes are very powerful as they dispatch lots of enemies throughout the mission.

Initiative
Will you be able to rescue the hostages in time? Can you survive the chaos until more defensive actions are taken? Initiative can have a major impact in situations like these. In Sentinels of Freedom, initiative determines the turn order for all characters and events in a round. Actions from previous rounds can have a major impact on initiative. A Swap mechanic allows hero to shift their position in the initiative order allowing more control over which hero to activate. The first hero in the initiative order receives a speed bonus while the last hero is awarded an accuracy bonus.
More information.

Interesting little game, not sure if there is character advancement but it plays like a board game sort of.

I picked it up, I was a big fan of both freedom force and sentinels of the multiverse so I almost had to.

Seems fun and unique so far but haven’t played too much yet. Characters do gain levels and learn new skills. I haven’t leveled anyone up yet though so I don’t know how much depth there is.

Sounds fun, but episodic releases makes me want to wait for now. Will gladly read more impressions from you @fadedc;, especially if you consider Chapter 1 to be content enough to dive in now.

Long distance resemblance with freedom force. It could be the next DS template.

Long distance resemblance with freedom force. It could be the next DS template.

Long distance? I would say it's extremely close at least in presentation and art style. This one seems to be turn based though, Freedom Force was RT as far as I remember?

Freedom force paid tribute to the golden era of US comics(at least the late period) whereas FF2 paid tribute to the silver era.

The art style in this vid product is closer to the Pixar era, early period.

Let's just say I'm not impressed by any single thing in this project and with some I'm disappointed. I mean… Chapters?!
And why are we even talking about overwatch? If it's a separate action in XCom, that doesn't mean there aren't other turnbased games where it's automatic! There are. Where it's not only visibility trigger like promised in this game, but also range of a weapon.

Playing it more, there are things I like and things I don’t. The gameplay flow is interesting and how enemies take their turns all at once which allows you to have 30 thugs in turn based and not drag on. In fact fights are pretty fast paced. Level design is interesting and there are some interesting mechanics in play.

On the downside character advancement is almost non existent. And for at least the first several missions your fighting the a lot of the same enemies over and over. It’s definitely missing a certain sense of progression, at least so far.

A lot of the aesthetics will immediately look familiar if you are a freedom force player. But the heroes are from the classic co-op game sentinels of the multiverse, they have some interesting abilities but nowhere nearly as much personality as the freedom force group.

Also missing, at least from what I saw, is one of the things that made Freedom Force so fun: destructible environments.

FF also tied the ability to pick up and throw large objects to character development. Nothing made you feel more like a superhero than picking up a car and thorwing it at someone to knock him clear across the map and maybe through a brick wall. It was good fun to rip a street light out of the ground to knock down a building to get at the sniper on the roof. Or, you could level up your hero to get the ability to jump up to the 10-story roof. This is the stuff that made FF great.

Hadn’t thought about that, but yes it’s true. It’s too bad because your often fighting such massive groups of thugs, it would be so satisfying if you could pick up a car and throw it into the middle of them. Real missed opportunity there.

Also missing, at least from what I saw, is one of the things that made Freedom Force so fun: destructible environments.

FF also tied the ability to pick up and throw large objects to character development. Nothing made you feel more like a superhero than picking up a car and thorwing it at someone to knock him clear across the map and maybe through a brick wall. It was good fun to rip a street light out of the ground to knock down a building to get at the sniper on the roof. Or, you could level up your hero to get the ability to jump up to the 10-story roof. This is the stuff that made FF great.

This was taken for granted, especially as the vid displayed so many cars.
If this vid product has not included that functionality yet, definitively FF vibes.

It would be very surprising if this feature did not make it in this vid product.

I need to read up on some serious reviews on this one as I'm a huge fan of the Freedom Force games.

I read in their message board they are working on some changes for the way combat is to make it feel more super.

Can't say I'm interested in this, but it did inspire me to reinstall Freedom Force. I had to apply a fix to get the Steam version working properly in Windows 10, but it looks and runs great for an 18 year old game.

Seems pretty fun too. Not sure why I never really got into it back in the day, especially since it's from Irrational Games who I was a big fan of.

Back
Top Bottom