Desperados 3 - Demo Available on GOG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A demo for Desperados 3 is now available on GOG.

Play the free Desperados III Demo now and visit Wild West Colorado and Mexico!
In good old Mimimi Games tradition, we proudly offer this demonstration of confidence to you.
You can play two missions from the beginning of the game: First, you learn the ropes as young Cooper on a bounty hunting mission with his father.
Then, you'll unleash grown up Cooper's full skillset on a large force of bandits and join forces with legendary Doc McCoy to stop a full blown train robbery.
We even offer a short glimpse on the third mission, where giant trapper Hector joins the group in a Western town full of Thugs.

Expected Playtime is approximately 90 - 120 minutes (Although the second Mission might be tempting for a speedrun, show us your mission end screen!)

Accept our humble invitation to stealthily pile up bad guys behind bushes and get a taste of the story-driven, hardcore tactical stealth gameplay of Desperados III.
Thanks porcozaur!

More information.

Cool, I have this on my wishlist. Weird that steam doesn't have the demo, but I'm more than happy to download this from GOG.

Just a real quick impression based on spending a few minutes with the demo: I already love this game.

It has awesome level of details in the landscape and I really like how the zoom function goes from very high up to a pretty close down view. Most games that are top down like this often don't allow a good enough zoom close enough to the ground, whereas this game has one. I also just love the little details of the desert landscape, like the scorpion running around the desert floor, and the watering place for the horses, the deep canyon off to the right, the cactus and various vegetation that fit the desert, and so on. Just a very gorgeous game! (I'm a sucker for desert landscapes)

Both are recommended. Actually there are even three games, also a game named Helldorado which is a standalone addon from Desperados 2. Desperados 1 did get an update to make it run under Win10.

I never played Desperados, but here is my problem with games from the same genre, such as Commandos, Robin Hood and even the more recent, though some may not consider it the same genre like I do, Blackguards: These games are little more than puzzle games, and I don't like puzzle games.

In all 3 of those games, you are simply figuring out the solution the developer had in mind. In Commandos, you have to use your explosives expert to plant a bomb right here, and only here, to get past this area or win this fight. In Robin Hood, I have to use only Friar Tuck to get this guard drunk to progress. In Blackguards, here is the spot where you pull the rope to make the chandelier fall on these guards.

Does anyone know if this new Desperados demo is simply another glorified puzzle game? I know all games are to one degree or another, but the veneer is too thin for me on the games I mentioned.

I haven't played Desperados, but remember Commandos. For me it was just watching the guards' walking pattern and and use the correct character with the correct ability.

That alone doesn't appeal to me any more.

These types of games can be reduced to "simple puzzle games", but then again so can most games be reduced to something. Most situations do have a "best solution", but they do also offer enough room to play around. Of course that can be easily broken with overpowered characters/abilities.

I loved this style of game ever since I first played the first Commandos. I think I just love the very fact that each situation is a puzzle. And that they usually force you to do everything in stealth. And then I love the feeling of "conquering" the map, bit by bit. Situation by situation. Of course, I also remember moments of frustation and times when I would resort to hiding my whole squad in a corner, sounding the alarm by shooting the ground, and then cleaing out the whole map like that. But most times I'd have the patience to wait around for each puzzle.

You do have to be calm and have plenty of time with these sorts of games. But I love it that they're making a come-back. Already preoreder Desperados 3. And I hope they do on to other series. Maybe even bringing back Commandos would be nice. The first two Commandos games were fantastic.

You know, the thing about these games is I suck at them. I so often end up getting stuck. I can try a dozen different things and still not hit on the one the dev was thinking of. Maybe I just don't think like other people. :p

I never played Desperados, but here is my problem with games from the same genre, such as Commandos, Robin Hood and even the more recent, though some may not consider it the same genre like I do, Blackguards: These games are little more than puzzle games, and I don't like puzzle games.

Ah ok, Commando and Robin Hood those ring a bell. I tried something a bit similar called Shadow Tactics and I just don't have the patience for this.

the first two look like old FPS's while this looks like an isometric Tactical Strategy Game. This looks more my style. I saw this demo the other day and was disappointed it wasn't released yet.

The first two Desperado games are isometric tacticals, the second just had a FPS view for targeting.
Otherwise, it's the exact same gameplay as the Commando series.

Finished the demo.

Gameplay is awesome: tactical AND dynamic. It's fresh but yet classical.
And enemies definitely retaliate (someone here was worried about that), I died a few times.

The game is pretty enough. Textures are crappy if you zoom, but animations are numerous and make the game very lively.
The western setting is cool, of course (that music!)

Will buy at release.

Back
Top Bottom