Gamescom - Things To Do, Stuff To See

Or alternatively, I could spent an hour with Obsidian talking about the DLC roadmap for Pillars of Eternity II.

OMG please don't!

Well, I am not particularly looking forward to that, but I have one time slot in the middle of the afternoon that I can use to get some information about some game and I am just querying if there is any interest in stuff, that I might perhaps not be that interested in personally.

Rumor is Nordic Games will reveal new Jagged Alliance, it'd be nice to get some more details on it, if rumor is true ofc:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/jagged-alliance-3
Well it was true.

Jagged Alliance: Rage announced for PC, PS4 and Xbox One

We are all getting older. Nothing bad about that, right? Well, the knees might hurt sometimes, seeing things far away gets a bit harder, and – oh, boy! – the heart is not as strong as it used to be. But we wake up every morning, go to work, business as usual: killing some bad guys, igniting the odd rebellion, overthrowing another evil dictator…

That’s what the mercenaries of Jagged Alliance have been doing these past 20 years. And now Ivan Dolvich, Helmut “Grunty” Grunther, Kyle “Shadow” Simmons and the other infamous fighters have a mission again when they’re stranded behind enemy lines: survive.

In Jagged Alliance: Rage! you are constantly on the brink of breakdown. Badly equipped and outnumbered, it’s up to the player to lead their seasoned mercenaries in tactical turn-based missions and to light the spark of a revolution.

Or alternatively, I could spent an hour with Obsidian talking about the DLC roadmap for Pillars of Eternity II.

No Inxile there? What about Dying Light 2? Maybe you will stumble upon Avellone somewhere. :)

Small games like Element: Space, Hellsign, Hellpoint… are probably not on Gamescom, right?

If no RPGs are left maybe you could go to Dontnod (Twin Mirror) or Square Enix (Life is Strange 2) or Focus (original rat game Plague Tale: Innocence).

Or alternatively, you could spent an hour at a bar enjoying some Kölsch. ;)

No time for that as the last time slot went to Thea 2: The Shattering.

So the list for the appointments on Wednesday and Thursday is:

• Deep Sky Derelicts
  • Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
  • Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
  • A game by previous Shadow Realms devs
  • Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
  • A long Way Down
  • An unnamed RPG
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Shadows Awakening
  • The Sinking City
  • The Surge 2
  • AWAY: Journey to the Unexpected
  • Edge Of Eternity
  • Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos
  • Thea2: The shattering
That leaves Tuesday to visit the halls (it is not a public day, so they are less crowded) and to check out at some of the games that are only shown in the public areas, like Realms Beyond and Original Sin 2.
Where I don't think I really need to check out original Sin 2, but it is an opportunity to chat with the Larian people :)

Funny thing happenend today. I accidentally switched my Thursday afternoon appointments with those of today. Tried to reschedule, but for mutant year zero it was not a success. So I am not seeing that one. Furthermore I did not have sufficient time to check out Deep Sky Derelicts at 1C, but did get to see Eternity: The Last Unicorn (which I did have an appointment for, but forgot to put it in the list above).

That said, I wouldn’t say that anything of what I saw today really impressed me. Not that it was bad, I was just not impressed. Today I saw:
  • Eternity: The Last Unicorn
  • Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
  • Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
  • Thea2: The shattering
  • AWAY: Journey to the Unexpected
  • Breach
  • The Waylanders

Tomorrow I plan to see:
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Shadows Awakening
  • The Sinking City
  • The Surge 2
  • Edge Of Eternity
  • Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos
  • A long Way Down
  • Realms Beyond

Last edited:
Are you attending their ( closed) demo? ( Cyberpunk, I mean).
Or strictly an interview?
Surge II also seems interesting ( though I wish they moved to better setting).
These new crpgs are not all that interesting, oldtimers can just replay classics for ..nth time. Never gets old! :)

Yes, I am attending their closed demo.

Yes, I am attending their closed demo.
Try to sneak in a hidden button or glasses camera.:lol:

Just kidding look at what happened to the journalist who leaked the audio.

Thea 2 was incomplete at the moment, but I liked the combat part better now that they improved that. UI is improved to, but very different from the previous one, so it took some time to find things. Not the radial menu, that I could find obviously, but the static UI buttons. There are loads of other changes I did not get around to checking out or were simply not in the game. 30-45 minutes isn’t enough.
As mentioned there was nothing that really impressed me, but I think Thea 2 is high on the list of games I liked.

OK. As far as being impressed goes, Cyberpunk definitely is on top on the impressive scale.

OK. As far as being impressed goes, Cyberpunk definitely is on top on the impressive scale.
Damn that good huh? Shame it's still two or three years till release.

Wont ask to much but what state was the build you watched.

Early Alpha or Beta? If you can answer of course.

Shame it's still two or three years till release.
No. Assuming they didn't lie about those two AAA titles…

The game will most probably be released next year in february, will of course sell like a cure on PC and then they'll announce an expansion that'll be released right in time "golden joystick" cannot ignore it.

Next thing golden joystick will award some weapon breaking like crazy with ubisoft towers game as goty and PCgamer will praise some game with microtransactions.

Last edited:
I don’t recall they said if it is alpha or beta. They did say it was a version in development and might contain bugs and glitches.
There was no time to ask any questions, so quite some stuff remains unanswered.
One thing that I liked less was all the quest markers on the edges of the screen, showing where to go. I understand it is a big game, but I hope you can turn that off, or toggle it.

Details, Myrthos...we want to hear all the juicy details! :)

When I publish the article. There is no point writing it otherwise :)

I also got to spent over an hour with @HobGoblin42;, who showed me Realms Beyond. That is some massive game they are making, inspired by a large variety of games, like Ultima 7, Arcanum, Pool of Radiance, Baldur’s Gate and more.
They still have a lot to do, which is why they will have the Kickstarter, so they can pay writers, to make the world come to life more. He also gave me a cool gift, 10 of them even, related to the Kickstarter of their game, which we will be giving away before it starts, so you can’t use it in the Kickstarter to get a reward from a higher tier, while paying ‘only’ for the game.
Anyway, this is definitely a very promising game.

Back
Top Bottom