DA:O DA:O player review that will make us smile

Dragon Age: Origins

leth

Sentinel
Is it November yet? :'(
Great user review by Woolen Horde, over at QT3

I won't go into specifics and details and spoilers, but I have played through Dragon Age, and it's easily BioWare's best RPG. It's also BioWare's biggest RPG. I mean, this thing is HUGE. It's got a huge story, a huge cast of characters, and it's really quite complex in terms of the relationship mechanics. Admittedly, there's a dungeon or two that are really grindy and feel like they're lengthy for legnthy's sake (seriously, they could have been chopped in half and they'd still be a bit too big), but otherwise the rest of the game just dazzles.

I'm hoping BioWare has tweaked the difficulty since I played, because at default this was a really brutal game at certain points. In fact, though it's supposed to scale with you since you can go through the story in different ways, it got so tough that about halfway through I adjusted the difficulty down to easy. Even then, many of the boss battles were incredibly micro-heavy. I had to constantly pause the action to order guys to drink healing potions or for the mages to bail someone out, else they're dead. Mouse and keyboard are your friend, though I didn't really try it out with the gamepad.

Still. GET THE PC VERSION. There are a gazillion loading screens that you'll encounter, and on the PC the wait isn't too bad, but I shudder at the thought of all those loads on a 360 or PS3.

About my only real complaint is that "adult" aspects are somewhat sophomoric. There are really awesome slow-mo kill moves, but after every battle the blood splatter is so ridiculously over-the-top that you want to laugh. And for sex scenes are uncomfortable. They're just.... awkward.

Also, when the game arrives, here's a big technical hint: Gift giving is done by dragging the gift onto the character's avatar in the inventory screen. I thought it was broken or something, and I never figured it out till near the end. Gifts have a HUGE role in helping to keep someone happy, even when every decision you're making is pissing them off to no end. This was a problem since I was accumulating all these gifts and I couldn't give them away and they were eating valuable inventory space.

Speaking of which, inventory is better than Mass Effect, but it will still drive you batty as it's slot-limited. Each item takes up a slot, and once you hit the maximum you're going to have to dumping gear. The thing is, you can really accumulate loot in a hurry, and in some of the longer dungeons you're going crazy trying to figure out what to keep and what to ditch because you can't get back to the store. Another technical hint: some merchants sell upgrades that boost your item limit. I didn't know about these till the end, too, and I sort of howled when I found out.

About the only true negative in what Woolen Horde wrote was the awkwardness of mature contents.

The gift giving thing is the first time that I heard about it. It sounds great, this would greatly minimize the need to save and reload every time you did something that could potentially adjust your influence with NPC companions.

More and more info about this permeating level scaling...

Blah.. I wonder how clear-cut was Gaider when he said: "no, all enemies don't scale". What does it mean? Cca 0,5% don't scale or cca 30% don't scale?

After all, sometimes he spreads misinformation when it comes to DA game mechanics. I am not saying he does it on purpose, he's probably not sufficiently informed about some aspects of the game he's writing for.

Desslock added a comment in that thread too, that was encouraging:
Some people will find it too hard, I suspect, but as he noted, the difficulty can be adjusted at any time. Tough tactical battles is definitely positive feature for many RPG fans, particularly anyone who liked the BG games.

He also confirmed how wrong that Eurogamer article was, however, for suggesting that you could play the game in real-time "on higher difficulty levels" because of the scripting engine - that's just flat out crazy wrong. You do have to put a lot of planning and strategy, and dynamically adjust your tactics, in any of the major encounters

Some more info from people who played DA already over at QT3

From Woolen Horde

Origin stories are great said:
The Origin stories are great. You don't put them in and just have a single Origin story and this is still BioWare's biggest and best RPG. The Origin stories and the flexibility they provide is just a metric ton of crazy awesome goodness on top of the incredible moist and tasty cake.

Brilliant quests and levels said:
there are some brilliant quests and level design. I especially loved the mage tower. You'll find out why. And a lot of the side quests you can fail, and that's all right. In fact, getting the quests complete will often seriously piss off a party NPC because they view it as a totally unnecessary detour.... and they're right! You can feel like a dick either way by letting some plot character down or hacking off half of your team. That's something I've never seen before.

Tons of party banter said:
The characters and the interplay between them is unparalleled. We all know how much the elevators sucked in Mass Effect, but the great thing about them was the hilarious banter as the NPCs poked and prodded each other. Well, this entire game is essentially an elevator (bad analogy), because the banter is everywhere. And as you uncover more and more about an NPC, the other NPCs almost can't wait to verbally pounce on them about the latest revelation. Then consider how many NPCs there are, and how many different party configurations you can bring along, and my mind is officially blown. Even the mutant war dog (who is also totally awesome) is a hoot, and he can't speak any words! You'll just want to replay the game over and over again with different party combination to hear what they'll say. And because the conversations progress as you go over the course of the 50+ hour game, there's not a lot of repeating going on. I mean, seriously, mind blown.

From Desslock:

[quote="game" the Influnce System with the Gifts]
It also gives you a way to "game" the influence system -- since characters like particular gifts a lot more than others -- you can find out generally through getting to know them if you've advanced their dialogues sufficiently. But you can also learn by trial/error - save the game first, then give every gift in your inventory to a character to see if there are any hidden "gems" for that character - reload/do the same thing for the other characters. I hate lame "gaming" the system like that, but on the other hand, I hated not getting access to all the dialogue options more. I'm not really a fan of the influence system in KOTOR/NWN2 and DA, although it's definitely better implemented here than in any previous game.
[/quote]
For me, I don't mind this at all. It is kinda like the buddy system in Persona 4, which I have very fond memory of.

Sidequests said:
Heh, the war dog will also start whining almost immediately if stop to have an extended conversation with an NPC. It's a dog of action.

There actually aren't that many ancillary quests, and to be honest the ones that exist actually seem somewhat distasteful, because the threat posed by the main plot has been made so clear. It seems weird to detour to stop some pickpockets or make some potions for someone when a horde is bearing down on you.

That's obviously an issue all RPGs face, but you're so integrated with the main plot in DA that it really seems like you're shirking your responsibilities, unlike for example in Oblivion -- although there's far more latitude in Oblivion to "wander the Earth" and do whatever you want, ignoring the main threat, in that game it also seems like you're just "joe schmoe", and that there's governments, soldiers, etc. who may be more suitable to address that threat. It's not necessarily your business. That's not the case in Dragon Age, since your role is fundamental and all would be lost without you, making little ancillary chores seem like far less realistic options.

But that's really a strength of the game, because its plot also really draws you in, and as Woolen indicated, you're also suitably scolded for detouring, which may be an RPG first.

A lot of side quests are related to the main plot said:
Yes, many sidequests arise through the main plot - you have a specific objective in that area, and in the course of exploring, you pick up a few ancillary goals -- i.e., you go to visit the Mages to enlist some help, and realize that you need to help them with a few problems of their own first.

But there are also "job board" quests, which are essentially completely ancillary, although they reflect the developing state of the world (i.e. go and see what happened to this merchant caravan, and you see evidence of an enemy army on the march). In the main city (and the few towns) you'll also get some purely ancillary stuff -- i.e. rob this warehouse, help this boy - that's the stuff that often seems misplaced - if you're strictly roleplaying a character I'm not sure you could rationally justify those diversions.

The companions also have their own quests, and they are generally cool, or at least open up some interesting character insights.

Dungeons seem to be more fun to "crawl" in said:
Almost all the battles in the dungeons feel like action set-pieces and pose unique tactical challenges, instead of being generic battles with substantially similar foes. Aside from the writing, it's Dragon Age's best strength.

I just hope I can tone down the blood. From the little I've seen it seems that characters sweat blood.

Cool, sound like a classic or a near classic CRPG that only pop-up every few years once. The potential parts that could spoil the game are the blood and sex. Many commented those parts as feel very much forced; wonder how and where Bioware got the idea that they were necessary to DA - The Witcher?

Can't wait to check up the game myself to see all those good things mentioned. Two more weeks until the release!

Originally Posted by Dungeons seem to be more fun to "crawl" in
Almost all the battles in the dungeons feel like action set-pieces and pose unique tactical challenges, instead of being generic battles with substantially similar foes. Aside from the writing, it's Dragon Age's best strength.

This definitely made me smile. :)

Giving gifts ? First sight of "social role playing" ?

The potential parts that could spoil the game are the blood and sex. Many commented those parts as feel very much forced; wonder how and where Bioware got the idea that they were necessary to DA - The Witcher?

Sex should be part of serious games, everything else in RPGs is. Its a prime motive for why many people do things they do. Its never done that well though.

I believe to acquire Dogmeat in the first Fallout, way back in the early 90's, you had to give him some food. So this isn't really a new idea. As long as the gifts make sense within the context of the game, it'll be bearable.

I'll be honest, all of the chit-chat that is said to be in this game is tampering with my excitement level. I prefer to explore, stat manipulate, and throw magic around. I generally enjoy things like alchemy and crafting. I generally hate blah, blah, blah. If it wasn't required to actually open up gameplay options, ie quests, treasure, dungeon locations, I'd never speak to my companions.

As far as the sex and blood goes; why do we get rated X blood and rated PG-13 sex? Turn those two around! :D I really hope we can turn the blood down or completely off.

Level scaling?

How sad…

Every bioware game has had level scaling since BG1. Probably best to steer clear of their games if you don't like it.

Every bioware game has had level scaling since BG1. Probably best to steer clear of their games if you don't like it.

I don't recall level scaling in BG - so it must have worked well.

It really depends on the implementation, and beyond that - it's only a serious issue once you notice it.

Mass Effect, for instance, had a horribly noticable scaling.

But anyway, I'll lend you a hand in terms of understanding the nuances of taste.

One can like something overall, even if one doesn't like every aspect of it.

So, since I expect to like Dragon Age as a decent game - there's really no point in steering clear, now is there?

Level scaling?

How sad…

You or the game? j/k :)

Many RPG have level scaling. Some do it well others do it badly. In fact I only know one game which does it bad and that is Oblivion. May be I have not played enough RPGs :)

I really don't want to get to the end boss who is supposed to be the baddest of the baddest and him falling over like wuzz! If levelling scaling is the way to keep him challenging then so be it.

You or the game? j/k :)

Many RPG have level scaling. Some do it well others do it badly. In fact I only know one game which does it bad and that is Oblivion. May be I have not played enough RPGs :)

I really don't want to get to the end boss who is supposed to be the baddest of the baddest and him falling over like wuzz! If levelling scaling is the way to keep him challenging then so be it.

I know of no game where level scaling improved my experience.

I know of several games where it was detrimental to my experience.

That's really all there is to it.

If you like it, fine - no need to speculate endlessly on how I'm wrong because I don't agree.

I don't recall level scaling in BG - so it must have worked well.

You don't recall it because there was none in BG 1 as you correctly assumed. :)

In BG 2 level scaling was very limited - i.e. named/unique enemies never scaled. Level scaling was done by adding a certain amount of *extra* generic enemies to *some* areas depending on your level; and that was an exception as well. It's so different than what DA does it's not even comparable.

I guess I'm much more tolerant to adding a couple of extra creatures than altering the default ones up and down depending on your level.

Yeah..

Level scaling is the easy way of handling balance, and if the player isn't aware of it, then it can work.

The problem is that to many of us, the experience of growing powerful is INCREDIBLY vital to the game - and if we become aware that power is irrelevant - then the game is potentially ruined.

Not all feel the same way, and obviously it's a direct result of the audience changing from enthusiastic to casual.

I suspect the reason Oblivion wasn't hurt more because of level scaling, isn't so much that the casual audience didn't mind it - but that they weren't aware of it.

But that's just a theory.

I feel the same way you do. Basically it's lazy design.

Also, it doesn't matter to me if I notice there is level scaling or not; knowing there's level scaling spoils my experience to a certain degree no matter what.

I feel the same way you do. Basically it's lazy design.

Also, it doesn't matter to me if I notice there is level scaling or not; knowing there's level scaling spoils my experience to a certain degree no matter what.

If you know it's there, you're hardly capable of not noticing it ;)

Certainly, that's how my mind works.

Back
Top Bottom