Torchlight II - Opening Cinematic Revealed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Runic has revealed the opening cinematic for Torchlight II, titled New Heroes Will Arise. The post at Runic discusses why they chose to include cinematics and the choice of style:
What led to the decision to include cinematics in Torchlight II?
It was really two things that led to the decision to include cinematics in Torchlight II.
One, we simply had the time and budget for it this time around... things that were in short supply for the first game.
Two, we were very aware that the story was an area where we could improve upon Torchlight greatly in a sequel. Like I said, we didn't have a whole lot of time to invest into properly setting up, fleshing out, and delivering a particularly engaging story for the first Torchlight. We had a lot of our backstory and key points mapped out "in our heads" (we have a collective hive mind), and we tried to hint at greater things where we could, but it wasn't necessarily translating into a narrative. We wanted to make sure we addressed that for Torchlight II.
We're still not making a "story game", but I think we do a much greater job for providing context and motivation with Torchlight II.
More information.

Sorry to say the opening cinematic isn't impressive at all. I realize they are an "indie" dev, but it wasn't well scripted at all. Plus the sound mixing was quite poor. The sound effects were way to quiet and muffled. Anyway, just not a good way to make an impression. Good thing it has almost nothing to do with the game.

Lastly I do have to bring up Diablo 3 coming out first… things don't bode well for Torchlight II, but perhaps it can overcome. I give it a 40% chance.

Thats a sad cinematic, but I dislike the entire artistic design of the game, so it comes as no surprise. I find it fitting, unlike the one from D3 that really was a pain to watch.

Actually cinematic looks like something art team of "Shank" did.
But without great will or passion.

Technically inept but wonderful art direction.

I really like the changes that they made coming from Torchlight (which I loathe passionatly). Including cinematics is a good step.

Now remove the effects chaos during the game, get totally rid of the WoW elements and include an interesting lore.

Then I will buy at release.

Not that bad,not that great either.I like the art and i like how the heros from the original TL were sent running. You can tell that they didnt put alot of effort into this.

Meh, why did they bother? I understand lore and story are important to a lot of folks but I couldn't care less about such things for either Diablo or Torchlight. Both are very much about killing, looting and playing with your friends. Solid core gameplay, that's what I want out of these two titles. Everything else is fluff. If I want good lore and story, there are far better choices out there.

This is all, obviously, my opinion but I can not fathom why anybody would choose either title in search of an awesome story.

This is all, obviously, my opinion but I can not fathom why anybody would choose either title in search of an awesome story.

I feel the same way, but I have plenty of friends who insist that the lore and story for the Diablo games rich, deep, and novel. Of course they also (some even after Pandyland) say the same thing about WoW so…. there's that. That and the Goosebumps series has sold something like 360,000,000 copies; so I guess there's awesome stories and then there's stories that have awesome sales figures associated with them. You can have both, but you only need one to make money.

Last edited:
The art sucks.. I hate this type of art.. Borderline cell shade, borderline anime..

Blech.

I hate to sound like a fanboy, but I played the original Torchlight to tide me over until D3s release. Does Torchlight 2 stand a chance? I know I won't be picking it up when it's released. Maybe sometime far down the road when I'm over Diablo and looking for a similar experience. I feel sorry for these guys.

I hate to sound like a fanboy, but I played the original Torchlight to tide me over until D3s release. Does Torchlight 2 stand a chance? I know I won't be picking it up when it's released. Maybe sometime far down the road when I'm over Diablo and looking for a similar experience. I feel sorry for these guys.

Depends what you mean by stand a chance?

Does it stand a chance of being a worthwhile release from a business point of view? Certainly. It cost far less to make than D3 so even if it only sells a fraction of D3 I'm sure it'll be good from a business perspective.

Does it stand a chance of being a fun game to play? Absolutely - classic gaming, LAN play, no online connection, ability to play on a netbook on the move.. it's got a lot going for it.

Back
Top Bottom