Dragon Age 2 - Desslock's View on DA2 @ PC Gamer

aries100

SasqWatch
In an editorial colum, Alternate Lives, Desslock looks at Dragon Age 2. And he does not seem to like it much, particularly the combat:
What annoys me most, though, are the changes to Dragon Age’s combat. The tactical, isometric perspective has been pointlessly removed, characters hop around the battlefield like spastic Spider-Men, and combat is so frenetically paced that it’s needlessly difficult to manage an entire party of characters. To compensate for the design (which seems primarily intended to allow gamers who don’t like messing with details to control a single character) the game has been made incredibly unchallenging. Friendly fire has essentially been removed, since it’s now relegated to an impractical option only available on the highest difficulty level—and it doesn’t even work there, since the game clearly wasn’t designed to accommodate it.
He also talks about disliking the art design changes and comparing DA2 to Ultima VIII: Pagan.
At least Dragon Age 2, unlike Pagan, does have some significant strengths, particularly in its storytelling. Additionally, the UI is effectively streamlined, and the new skill trees are an interesting way to shape character development. The look and combat aren’t inherently poor, and would’ve been perfectly worthwhile in a sequel to BioWare’s other experimental action RPG, Jade Empire. As part of the Dragon Age saga, however, this is more like a spin-off than a sequel.
More information.

I was disappointed that he did not bash the very linear and closed storyline, but then Desslock has never been as much about choice and consequence as many other RPG enthusiasts.

He counts the storytelling as one of the only redeeming features. Sorry, i just dont get the epic feeling in DA2 running around doing odd jobs, it just doesnt compare to DA:O's "uniting of the tribes" appoach to the main storyline…

Hell, just the Orzammar section of DA:O was more compelling!

Desslock lost it a while ago, so I can't really take him seriously anymore.

Desslock lost it a while ago, so I can't really take him seriously anymore.

At least he is more honest than the reviewer that gave it a 94% and called it the rpg of the year. I wonder what he was smoking.

Why wasn't this the PC gamer's review? I find this small editorial far more informative and honest than the actual review.

Why wasn't this the PC gamer's review? I find this small editorial far more informative and honest than the actual review.

The PCG reviews editor said it was because Desslock did not have time to review it before release. However true that might be it doesn't excuse the laughable "review" by Rich Mccormick.

PCG is pretty pointless now-a-days for reviews though. They gave Arcania a higher review than Risen.

maybe they are trying to fight da powah

Back
Top Bottom