Xenoblade Chronicles

D

Deleted User

It comes out tomorrow in the US. Anyone interested in this game or picking it up?

I'm picking up a Wii just to play this and the Last Story which comes out later this summer. I think both of these games are "must-plays" if you are interested at all in JRPGs.

Anyone else buying a Wii to play these?

Here's the US trailer for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Xc6in86rs&ob=av3e

It's impressive from a visual standpoint for a Wii game, but I can't say I'm much interested after reading the story.

It's also coming out at a bad time with Legend of Grimrock less than a week away and Risen 2 two weeks after that.

Does it require the Wii Plus or just a regular Wiimote?

I've already played it and finished it. Hopefully it won't get re-dubbed, because the voice acting was the best I've ever heard in a JRPG (which means that it was alright).

Anyway, the game was decent enough, offering an interesting world and story, and when the story was moving forward at a decent pace it was an enjoyable game, but sadly during the second half of the game, the story just slows down, and there is a lot of filler combat. The sidequests are all of the standard MMO-fare of kill X of Y or gather Z of A, and not very fun. Had the story kept the pace of the first half, then I would have been able to fully recommend this game, but due to the second half, I just can't.
It is also a 50h experience, and not a 75-100h one (which most reviews seemed to promise).

Does it require the Wii Plus or just a regular Wiimote?
Just a regular one.

Also, I'm hearing that the US release is a Gamestop exclusive. If that's true then I almost certainly won't be buying it.

I all ready played The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles. The pal versions were available all ready in English. Both are good and make you feel nostalgic of the PS One rpgs that once dominated the era.

Xenoblade Chronicles is really nice, plays great on Dolphin too and looks way better than on my Wii :)

Why would it be re-dubbed? Americans don't understand brittish accent or something? :p

Considering the fact that they re-edited Harry Potter (the books, not the movies) for the American market…
There was talk about re-localizing the game, to make it appeal more to the american audience. The current version is very British. Xenoblade would not have been the first game to receive such a treatment, Normality was re-dubbed to appeal more to Americans.

Both are good and make you feel nostalgic of the PS One rpgs that once dominated the era.

Ah, the PS1 days. If these games remind me anything of PS1 RPGs I will be extremely pleased with them.

I did get a very old-school feeling when I played Lost Odyssey too. It felt like I was playing this generation's Final Fantasy 7. Blue Dragon felt very old-school as well. But amazingly both those games were still fresh as a new game should be. I imagine the Last Story will continue that trend.

Xenoblade is a must have for JRPG fans. The Last Story is less so, which I have heard mixed opinions.

Xenoblade is easily one of the best JRPGs I've played in years. It has a solid system, backed up with quality JRPG mechanics. It also adds some of those little things, which makes the journey a more enjoyable such as day/night cycles and environmental effects. I got sucked into the hundreds of MMO style side quests, which also are linked to an NPC relationship diagram (between NPCs) that fills out over time as quests are completed.

Xenoblade is a must have for JRPG fans. The Last Story is less so, which I have heard mixed opinions.

Xenoblade is easily one of the best JRPGs I've played in years. It has a solid system, backed up with quality JRPG mechanics. It also adds some of those little things, which makes the journey a more enjoyable such as day/night cycles and environmental effects. I got sucked into the hundreds of MMO style side quests, which also are linked to an NPC relationship diagram (between NPCs) that fills out over time as quests are completed.

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the mini-review.

I'm not worried about the Last Story though. I fully expect that game to blow me away. Why? Because Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were amazing to me, and I am a huge fan of Mistwalker at this point, and the duo of Sakaguchi/Uematsu, and I'm pretty sure that they couldn't possibly let me down. If it's made by Mistwalker I will probably love it. Not out of blind love for the company but just because they seem to make games that really resonate with me. I actually expect to enjoy The Last Story more than Xenoblade, even though Xenoblade looks amazing as well. Not sure how that will turn out but I'm sure I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of both games.

I actually expect to enjoy The Last Story more than Xenoblade, even though Xenoblade looks amazing as well. .

The Last Story does look good. From the videos I've seen, it actually looks more like a Western RPG than a jRPG, and it has the type of dark and serious atmosphere that I like.

The Last Story does look good. From the videos I've seen, it actually looks more like a Western RPG than a jRPG, and it has the type of dark and serious atmosphere that I like.

Have you tried Lost Odyssey? It's not a Western-type RPG, it's very much a traditional JRPG, but it's got a pretty serious tone to it. Well, there is a classic comic relief character that lightens things up, but for the most part it's pretty serious. Personally I think Lost Odyssey is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. It felt very much like this generation's Final Fantasy 7, if I had to compare it to another game. So if you played and enjoyed FF7 and classic PS1 JRPGs you might like Lost Odyssey.

Well my Wii came in the mail today so I am finally able to play Xenoblade. Initial impressions are....the game is really cool. Surprise, I like a JRPG! But seriously, it is done very well for the most part and has some high production values. It looks really good visually, the cutscenes are cool, and there are some really cool gameplay mechanics at work, such as the Affinity system and how the quests are handled. Pretty cool stuff. I like it a lot so far.

But seriously, it is done very well for the most part and has some high production values. It looks really good visually, the cutscenes are cool, and there are some really cool gameplay mechanics at work, such as the Affinity system and how the quests are handled. Pretty cool stuff. I like it a lot so far.

I have to admit.. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. So far I've only explored Colony 9 and some of the surrounding areas, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The music in particular is very good. I didn't like the MMO-style combat at first, but it's slowly growing on me. It's safe to say this is the first jRPG that has impressed me in a long time.

I'm going to force myself to quit playing for now though. The Legend of Grimrock unlocks tomorrow night, and I want to play through that first. I've heard Xenoblade can take 100+ hours to finish, and I don't have that kind of time right now.

Reviewers claims that it takes 100+h, but for me it was almost exactly 50h. I'm not a completionist though, so there were plenty of side quests and such left for me to do.

it'd have to be something like Baldur's Gate 3 or Wizardry 9 made by the original creators and being a Wii exclusive for me to buy a Wii, specially this late in development.

I bought a Wii for 2 games basically - Xenoblade and The Last Story. I think it's worth buying a Wii for those 2 games, if you are into JRPGs of course. You can get a Wii off Ebay for like $70-100. I paid $200 but mine came with a ton of extras. You can also grab some worthwhile RPGs off Virtual Console that makes it even more worth owning a Wii for. Just my opinion of course. I'm gonna love mine though for those reasons. Throw in Gamecube compatibility and I am really happy with my purchase.

I have to admit.. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. So far I've only explored Colony 9 and some of the surrounding areas, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The music in particular is very good. I didn't like the MMO-style combat at first, but it's slowly growing on me. It's safe to say this is the first jRPG that has impressed me in a long time.

The combat grew on me as well. At first it was a bit awkward, the system was a bit foreign. But after a few battles it started to become enjoyable. Once you get the hang of using your arts it becomes a lot of fun. It's rewarding to pull off a perfect back slash for maximum damage. The game has some really cool gameplay mechanics going for it. I really like how they did the affinity system and how quests are handled. It reminds me of an MMO in some ways. But yeah, this game has a lot going for it. I'm giddy that I'm able to play it on my new Wii.

Back
Top Bottom