Infinity Engine (BG1&2, PST, IWD1&2) Combat Poll

How do you rate Infinity Engine (BG1&2, PST, IWD1&2) game's combat?

• I think the combat of the Infinity Engine games are the best of any games I’ve played.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • The combat is great as is, but could use some more interactivity.

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • The combat was okay

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • The combat was very bland and choice-lite, but the rest of the game more than made up for it

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • The combat was so poorly done it ruined all of the Infinity Engine games for me.

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
It is a fact that through the 75% or BG2 and PST I played, and the 50% of BG, I was able to click on an enemy and watch until combat was over for 90% or more of the combats. This is not opinion, it is fact. You can say it is not fact but I know there are other competent players out there that can back this up. This is also true for the NWNs and Kotors.

In fact, if this isn't the experience of anyone, then people really, really, really suck at combat and chardev. I mean really, really suck badly. Like close to needing to wear a helmet in real life suck.

I was referring to your belief that the combat is "bad" in general and not enjoyable. It's completely subjective. You can repeat your opinion as many times as you want, but that won't make it true. You're free to believe what you wish though. :)

This poll is specifically made to find out how many people agree or disagree with me. I think I made an objective poll too for the most part. In my opinion, click and forget combat is awful. Some people seem to love it.

But, we can objectively look Bioware games, and crpgs in general to see what gamers and the developers believe is "bad" combat.

I don't know what came fiurst, NWN, or Kotor, but Bioware specifically tried to make combat more interactive. NWN2 and Kotor 2 even more so. Dragon Age was a ton more interactive combat than the IE games, with the latest interaction not even having autoattack for the player you have selected. The Drakensang's tried to make make combat as interactive and hands on as possible for RTwP game, and then we have Arklash Legacy which absolutely cannot be played without constant player input.

We have the new RTwP game Pillars of Eternity coming out soon, and we know for certain they have tried to make combat interactive and not click and forget.

So it seems, objectively, developers and players both dislike click and forget combat or else they'd have stuck with the generic and boring click and forget of the IE games.

So it seems, objectively, developers and players both dislike click and forget combat or else they'd have stuck with the generic and boring click and forget of the IE games.

I guess that would explain the overwhelming success of the Project Eternity kickstarter as well as the Enhanced Editions of BG and IWD. :)

I guess that would explain the overwhelming success of the Project Eternity kickstarter as well as the Enhanced Editions of BG and IWD. :)

I wrote this the paragraph before you quoted-

We have the new RTwP game Pillars of Eternity coming out soon, and we know for certain they have tried to make combat interactive and not click and forget.

If you watch the videos you will see it does not have click and forget combat.

Honestly, with the exception of DA:O, and ME2 (never played ME3, or DA:I), the combat in every game Bioware has ever released has bored the hell out of me, making them difficult to get through.

On topic, the only infinity engine game I've ever enjoyed is Icewind Dale 2. I generally prefer turn based, or "elaborate real time" (think Dark Souls, and to a -much- lesser extent, Fallout NV, Skyrim) combat in my RPG's.

So what exactly is click and forget combat? Mouse-clicking with cause and consequence? mouse-play for amnesiacs? :)

Silliness aside, to be honest, I'd probably associate this concept more with NWN and the Kotors than with the IE games, as their combat had a much stronger "passenger" quality than the IE games did.

I've played and completed all of the IE games multiple times, except for PST which unfortunately I've only played through the once. As others have mentioned, out of all of the IE games, it has the most awkward and most relatively forgettable combat (it's the closest I come to "clicking and forgetting") which resulted in me practically fleeing from most encounters once I got to Baator. However, it's certainly a game I need to experience again narratively from a roleplaying point of view - probably as a high int/wis mage next time. ;)

Anyway, I quite enjoy IE combat. It was the spiritual successor to the Goldbox gaming experience party size wise and whilst real time with pause took a short period of adjustment, ultimately the legacy of the games speak for themselves. Looking forward to seeing the combat style resurrected to some degree at least within Pillars of Eternity when it comes out. :)

Back
Top Bottom