Machinarium

Uriziel

Sentinel
I don't often recommend a game if it isn't Gothic or Homeworld, but I gotta make an exception for Machinarium. You can play an online demo, and that small portion will prolly crush your lil tiny pea-sized brain. And if you get the full version…and you should….be prepared for severe mental torture worse than acne on a teen during prom week.

Not since OddWorld have I enjoyed such a game. Quirky, fun, and deviously hard…yet quite simple once you know what to do and HOW. Pride won't let me say how long the first play-thru of the full game took, but…..1:34:18 is my best after that first play.(BTW that is like TheWonderer fast for you Gothic fans who know who I'm referring to.)

I don't use walk-throughs or other such cheats, but for this game I won't look down on ya for doing it. Some of the puzzles are off the chart hard. But since it is a rather short game…give it an honest try….because other play-throughs get very easy. Good luck….and don't say I didn't warn ya :p

Yeah, their previous title, Samorost 2, was great and I´ve no doubt Machinarium is at least of the same quality.
I´ve yet to play it through since I´m sorta waiting to be in proper mood so that I wouldn´t spoil the first time experience.

From the little I´ve played, it´s quite clear that all aspects that made Samorost 2 great are there and probably in higher doses.
Artistically unique and detailed visuals, great soundtrack worth listening to even outside the game, playful puzzles, fun animations…
And I really like the way game handles "dialogues".

Just a great package of all kinds of creativity. Sorta point´n´click art :).
I´m really looking forward to playing it once I get over the annoying flu.

Demo can be played here: http://machinarium.net/demo/

I definitely support Uriziel´s recommendation, chances are you´ll be mesmerized!

Moved this from Off-Topic to Non-RPG.

Thanks for the recommendation! I loved Samorost so this looks like a must have. Going to try out the demo soon (only did the first screen so far). There was a post about it in the "playing now" thread I think .. was it Jaz who was playing it back then? Anyway, I forgot about it, but will not anymore. :)

zzajin posted about Machinarium here a little while ago, and I played the demo. Loved it just like I loved Samorost 2... I should buy this little gem, I think!

I think I read somewhere that Samorost 2 is packaged together with Machinarium - at least here.

I don't often recommend a game if it isn't Gothic or Homeworld

Oh, another Homeworld fan ? ;)

Sadly I have never been able to play it online when I was "active" with the game. (Homeworld 1, I mean, never bought Homeworld 2, because I heard it would be too difficult.) I loved playing multiplayer against the AI. ;)

And loved the album by Yes as well. :D

Homeworld is in a class by itself and was years ahead of it's time. Homeworld 2 blows chunks. I played on WON as Deathbringer and the last time I checked, there is still a large loyal following playing online matches on another server. At one point I looked into financing a remake of Homeworld in todays graphics, but Sierra wouldn't budge an inch even though I had a HUGE fan base screaming for it. I think Gothic and Homeworld should be made into movies. The storylines are that good. You mentioned the music and it is very good. Whenever I here it, it makes me quite calm and serene :)

Anyway, back to topic. I have since played Samarost and Samarost 2 and they are a solid 70 score to me. Machinarium is a 95, but would have scored higher if it was longer. I suspect the devs will not have much problems getting funds for their next game. The game didn't have a single bug....and I tried my best to break the storyline/sequences. In one place you could screw up and miss getting a key....the game gives you this key so you are not stuck. It is well thought out, and I can't imagine how many hours went into the puzzle designs and game integration.

I have since played Samarost and Samarost 2 and they are a solid 70 score to me.
Whaa? Sorry, I absolutely must disagree! :p At least Samorost is, for being a 15 minutes game, in a league of its own and as such transcendentally good. Bonus points for the main character being a sleepyhead.

Homeworld is in a class by itself and was years ahead of it's time.

I most certainly agree. Having been a fan for some time as well, I had been active under this name of Alrik Fassbauer at the Relicnews forums, too. ;)

I once translated one of the first articles about Homeworld 2 into the English language. ;)

I still hope for the Goat-Thrower being implemented in any Homeworld-like game. ;)

If you are looking for quite a unique experience, then try to get the game "Treasure Planet - Battle Of Procyon" or so was its name. By Disney. ;) It was released to be more or less fitting to the movie "The Treasure Planet".

It plays quite a bit like Homeworld, minus the Y-axis, and is said to have been made by the "Cataclysm" people.

That game shows up in my CD inventory, but god knows how long it will take to find it. I haven't used a CD in years, as I have everything backed up on DVD or HDD's. The CD note is amusing: Homeworld wannabe ripoff :p Apparently this game is leftover inventory from our old vid/game store. I'll see if I can find it and give it a shot :)

Edit: I found the CD, installed and played for a short time but it was not for me. If I wanted to listen to a bitchy bossy british lady I'd go visit my neighbor :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom