This week in computer security

The patch is called "2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4056894)" for those who want to avoid it.

Thanks a lot for the tip Arkadia. Didn't have any crashes abut my comp behaved strangely for the last few days. Patch uninstalled and hidden.

If you guys are dodging the patch, just make sure you have good security on your browser. It's true that you would need to install malicious software in order to be compromised, but your installed browser tricked into running malicious code could fulfill that role.

Javascripts could do it, right?

Yes, potentially. I don't know of any specific attack in the wild, but it's more to make the general point that the malicious software installed on your PC could be your browser, if it's running scripts from dodgy or hacked sites. Sometimes people think they're safe unless they install infected software, or open dodgy attachments - it's important to know that your browser can effectively become that malicious software.

Yes, always good to take precautions… always run a premium anti-virus/security program. Malwarebytes has a premium version that protects and detects any unauthorized changes or attempts to breach your system, and so do other top of the line anti-virus/security suites. One I was recommended by a computer repair shop and use is ESET antivirus, and another good one is Kaspersky internet security.

Plus, regarding javascript, which has always been a security issue, there are good Firefox add ons like "no script" which basically disables javascript on all websites, and if you don't want to go that hardcore, because it is sort of a hassle when surfing the Internet, there is another one called "no-script suite lite" which is a lighter version, in that you only have to do an easy one click and then websites you trust will be white-listed and allowed to do javascript, and there are other add ons too, that do similar things regarding javascript.

*Have to do a small rant here about windows 10, lol, because win 10 does that to me*

Finally, to go a little bit tinfoil - I would not be shocked if this was a deliberate act by Microsoft to try and get people to abandon windows 7. There was a recent thing where Apple issued a patch that deliberately slowed down older phones and their systems, and they didn't tell people about it. They got caught, and then said they had to do it based on some technological reason, but many people felt the whole thing was very fishy…(in order to encourage people to upgrade)

Do I know for sure Microsoft is doing this on purpose? No. But Microsoft from the start was extremely and annoyingly aggressive in trying to get people to switch to windows 10. I mean, everyone knows this and it was to a ridiculous degree with endless nag screens and later on, very sneaky updates and all kinds of crap they were trying to pull.

They (microsoft) are even trying to say that if you want a newer Intel processor, that windows 7 won't work or they won't support it. And that you have to move to windows 10 to buy a new system. It's bullshit though! There are several youtube videos by computer experts showing that windows 7 can work on the newest generation of Intel processors….you have to have some technical know-how, and the videos instruct you step-by-step on the process, but it can be done.

Yes. There was a proof of concept demonstrating the attack. I personally disable javascript in chrome (i used to in firefox but they disabled the feature and i stopped using firefox). I enable for specific sites as needed. It isn't because of spectra but a host of other security issues with javascript.

Javascripts could do it, right?

Well specifically they won't supply drivers for newer chipsets/devices. Yes to a limited degree you can get it to work if the chipset does not support new devices but there are limitations. And yes this is a marketing decision to get you to switch. And yes MS sucks rotten egg that is why i use linux for everything but games.

They (microsoft) are even trying to say that if you want a newer Intel processor, that windows 7 won't work or they won't support it. And that you have to move to windows 10 to buy a new system. It's bullshit though! There are several youtube videos by computer experts showing that windows 7 can work on the newest generation of Intel processors….you have to have some technical know-how, and the videos instruct you step-by-step on the process, but it can be done.

Yep, if you are like me and many others who are holding onto windows 7 come hell or high water, this "fix" hits those systems hard. No way in hell am I downloading this patch.

Conspiracy theorist in me says : Could be intended by Microsoft to push even more people to get Windows 10 ...

Finally, to go a little bit tinfoil - I would not be shocked if this was a deliberate act by Microsoft to try and get people to abandon windows 7. There was a recent thing where Apple issued a patch that deliberately slowed down older phones and their systems, and they didn't tell people about it. They got caught, and then said they had to do it based on some technological reason, but many people felt the whole thing was very fishy…(in order to encourage people to upgrade)

Do I know for sure Microsoft is doing this on purpose? No. But Microsoft from the start was extremely and annoyingly aggressive in trying to get people to switch to windows 10. I mean, everyone knows this and it was to a ridiculous degree with endless nag screens and later on, very sneaky updates and all kinds of crap they were trying to pull.

I have a very similar thinking.

Microsoft is going on my nerves now. I think I'll be swittching over to Linux & Consoles in the next generation. I just don't want to let Microforce force me to use their shitty UI.
That completely apart from "other alternatives" being available (like Classic Shell, which is now Freeware and is stopped to be "actively developed" because Microsoft always changes things in everey new Win10 Patch … "Ein Schelm, wer Böses dabei denkt …" ).

Microsoft is going on my nerves now. Too bad that the American approach towards economy and monopolism made them "too big to fail" and even if I'd protest, they'd ignore me, thanks to American policy of letting companies grow way out of healthy proportions.
In an interview with a former medical doctor, he said a while ago that "unlimited growth" in economy is something known from the medicine world as well - they call it cancer there. (My words, retelling what he said.)

Those protections might be helpful, but shouldn't give a false sense of security. That's the whack-a-mole style of security, where they try to maintain a blocklist of known problems. The trouble is, small changes by the nasties will evade them, and they will always be playing catchup.

Yep, my virus protection found a miner on my machine a few weeks ago.

I blame the gampressure site as I was using it a lot playing Elex and when I opened it, it was deathly slow at times and had annoying noisy video ads. I am attributing the slowness to trying to circumvent active virus protection, but maybe it just was mining my CPU to death.

Last edited:
I have MS Security Essentials turned on, and Malware Bytes on standby. Is that good enough?

Isn't it sufficient to disable javascript ?

Depends what you mean by sufficient. Javascript is by far the biggest risk, but there are still other ways to attack the browser without it.

tl;dr: It's XKCD.

2018_cve_list.png

pibbur who maybe should have posted this elsewhere and therefore will accept hostile comments/actions. Even insults.

I'm clicking on blue letters but nothing happens. Not that I need it personally - the plan is to earn some buck by scamming reselling through ebay.

Back
Top Bottom