Code of the Savage - Ultima Style RPG - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Code of the Savage - Ultima Style RPG

Default Code of the Savage - Ultima Style RPG

July 26th, 2018, 14:52
Code of the Savage is an Ultima style RPG now on Kickstarter seeking a modest goal.

Introduction

Code of the Savage is a tale of vengeance and survival. After escaping a slave ship, you have found yourself in chains and washed ashore on the island Kingdom of Daneth. You must find your way in a brutal and unforgiving world where nothing is black and white.

Deep and disturbing quandaries underpin the driving force of the game.

Code of the Savage is a no-holds-barred classic western style RPG. Inspired by the greats from the 80-90’s with a modern flair. There is a strong emphasis on player freedom through social and moral interactions… Will you choose to fire bomb the brothel, the church… Or both? Will you do it for money, glory or just because?

I think a problem with many of today's RPGs is that they expect you to know and care about their lore and backstory before you even take your first steps. In Code of the Savage, you and the main character are totally new to Daneth. So I don't want you to know the lore and backstory straight away. I want you to discover these things on your own terms as you play the game and interact with its inhabitants.

I wanted to create a role playing game that brought me back to my gamer days as a child on the C64 and MS-DOS PC. There is just something lacking in today's RPG's that I miss. Tired of micro-transactions, and randomly generated worlds; I am creating a world that is hand crafted with purpose. Essentially, I am creating the game that I want to play.

I believe one of the most important aspects of an RPG is the characters you meet in the game. I have therefore placed a great emphasis on NPC interaction. Each NPC in Code of The Savage has their own story, their own character portrait and a daily schedule. They will, go about their daily lives, going to work, eating and sleeping.

Level up your character and adventure forth to discover the treasures, history, and people of Daneth.

loading…

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

July 26th, 2018, 14:59
Dark themes - I don't hold back on what some may consider offensive content. If you're easily offended, Code of The Savage is probably not for you… This is not a "slay the dragon" and "save the princess" RPG.
Not a joke, I'm definetly backing this if it doesn't reach $20K which is stretch goals not for more srtory and content but for phones version.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)

July 26th, 2018, 15:42
Already backed this simply on the genre/premise alone. If the word gets out on this project, there should be no shortage of funds.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

July 26th, 2018, 16:56
Background music was very good too

Copper Coin

Outspoken D&D critic

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

July 26th, 2018, 17:04
I had enough of these lame attempts at begging for money and not even bothering with an attack animation, just inane single sprites pushing each other. Check out ARCHON on Commodore 64, it had proper walk-attack animations.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

July 26th, 2018, 17:32
Backed for $10 so lets hope it gets funded.
--
"Remember EA thinks Single-player games are dead & gamers are all basically idiots."

Check out my news Thread it's updated weekly.

Couchpotato

Anti-EA Supporter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

July 26th, 2018, 17:43
The walking animation threw me off but i like the premise and will back, hopefully the action animations can be fixed.

shaf

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 26th, 2018, 17:56
Yeah backed for 10 AUD, I wish them luck.

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

July 26th, 2018, 18:57
How is this different from Balrum? and is there any details of the developer to give some confidence?

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

July 26th, 2018, 20:04
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
How is this different from Balrum? and is there any details of the developer to give some confidence?
Afaik no hunger/thirst and crafting/building, a bit more straightforward battles.

I've been on the same dev forum with the creator of this game(tested an early version) and linked that topic to him, so he can answer your questions.

YanBG

Watcher

July 26th, 2018, 21:09
Looks ok but nothing to really pull me in. Lack of animations and combat look like simple button mashing. Will keep an eye on this though.

Saxon1974

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 26th, 2018, 21:23
Originally Posted by YanBG View Post
Afaik no hunger/thirst and crafting/building, a bit more straightforward battles.

I've been on the same dev forum with the creator of this game(tested an early version) and linked that topic to him, so he can answer your questions.
Thank you.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

July 26th, 2018, 23:10
Yeah I'd say the battle system it a bit more comprehensive, assuming of course that it doesn't change during development.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

July 27th, 2018, 00:10
Hey this is Geoff, the Developer.

Thanks for the feedback. and Thanks also to those that have backed it so far.

I'm actually considering totally reworking the walk animation and also character sprites so they can have a left and right facing view (similar to how they face in Crashlands and more how the deer move in the video).

The game is still very much in the early stages. The combat system will be a lot more comprehensive than it is right now. I have been very busy writing dialog and books to appear in the game.

I've not played Balrum, so I can't specifically address how It is different from that. All I can tell you is that I am focusing more on the situations that the player finds himself in, and the characters he meets in the game. Such as encountering a priest who is wrestling with his cognitive dissonance railing against the local brothel; calling them a "Den of sluts and whores", and then later finding out that the priest is a frequent and secret patron. I'm peppering the game with situations and characters who have life, and who I hope you remember long after playing the game. I know its a gamble to back a project like this, and I know everything has been done before, but " I'm hoping it will be different to you in this respect.

Anyway thanks again. If anyone has more questions I'd be happy to respond.

Geoff

Eggbert333

Traveler

July 27th, 2018, 00:45
Woah, spoiler alert Mr developer

I never played any of ultima games but your project look intriguing. Good luck with your project! (Good to see Aussies developing cRPG!!)
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)

July 27th, 2018, 03:14
I'm always happy to see more single character indie RPGs being made. The Eschalon series and Balrum have been some of my favourite games of the last few years.

Thalion

Traveler

July 27th, 2018, 03:47
Geoff, do you expect this to be released on any OS/platform other than Windows? I know that is asking a lot from a small developer.

Korplem

Shipwreck
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 27th, 2018, 05:47
Thanks for the post Geoff. I am interested enough to keep an eye on it. Is the combat turn based? It looks similar to eschalon where each side takes a turn and the game freezes until each move. Is that correct?

I like what you have to sat about the NPCs in the game. Good luck to you, RPGs are HUGE endeavor.

Saxon1974

Keeper of the Watch

July 27th, 2018, 06:55
Originally Posted by Korplem View Post
Geoff, do you expect this to be released on any OS/platform other than Windows? I know that is asking a lot from a small developer.
I'm hoping to release on mobile if there is demand for it, but that's going to be something to consider only after the PC release I would have to look into mac release. That is a possibility too.

Originally Posted by Saxon1974 View Post
Thanks for the post Geoff. I am interested enough to keep an eye on it. Is the combat turn based? It looks similar to eschalon where each side takes a turn and the game freezes until each move. Is that correct?
I like what you have to sat about the NPCs in the game. Good luck to you, RPGs are HUGE endeavor.
Thanks Saxon! Basically with the combat, player and move in real time. So I wouldn't call it strictly turn based, but combat pauses while the player either chooses the action he is taking, or choosing a spell to cast (a bit like the real time combat in Xcom games). There certainly is an element of button mashing as you said, but I'm open to suggestions Thanks for the comment!
EDIT: At the moment in the video of the combat, its a bit hard to tell when the combat is pausing. I'll need to add something to make that more clear.

Eggbert333

Traveler

July 27th, 2018, 07:04
I like the overall approach (backed). But the first thing i thought to myself was: where is the party.
Could it be possible to include like 2-3 party members besides your main hero? I dont know, you would not have to include party banter or else (it thats too complex). Just some class variety for combat and skills.

Or add a dog i can control.

Ah and ideally: make it turn based.
Last edited by vidder; July 27th, 2018 at 07:23.

vidder

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Code of the Savage - Ultima Style RPG