Baldur's Gate 3 - Full Release in 2023

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The full release of Baldur's Gate 3 is planned for 2023:

Baldur's Gate 3 - The Journey So Far | D&D Direct

A look back at the journey so far in Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access. Join the Baldur's Gate 3 today. The game continues to get better and better, with a planned full release in 2023.
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

Not sure if this really needed an announcement. I'm pretty sure most people assumed it was a given. I can't imagine it getting delayed all the way to 2024. Swen might have to hire bodyguards if that were to actually happen. ;)

Not sure if this really needed an announcement. I'm pretty sure most people assumed it was a given. I can't imagine it getting delayed all the way to 2024. Swen might have to hire bodyguards if that were to actually happen. ;)

I think they needed to announce something about BG3 at D&D direct, and that was the best thing they had in store.

I think they needed to announce something about BG3 at D&D direct, and that was the best thing they had in store.

I was more excited by the announcement that Wizards of the Coast is resurrecting Spelljammer. I hope it leads to a crpg in that setting. They're also bringing back Dragonlance.

I was more excited by the announcement that Wizards of the Coast is resurrecting Spelljammer. I hope it leads to a crpg in that setting. They're also bringing back Dragonlance.

I remember playing the Spelljammer crpg from SSI in 1992 and having fun with it(even though it was a bit buggy). Always wished for some sequels.

Hmm I still wonder what that Ex-BioWare studio Archetype Entertainment is working on?
Wizards of the Coast and their parent company Hasbro have established a new video games studio, Archetype Entertainment. The have gone all in on recruiting former BioWare stalwarts to work at the studio, which will focus on single-player computer roleplaying games.

I really don't get the complaints about it taking this long. Besides the fact that game development is hard as hell, wouldn't you want it to be as good as it possibly can, when it finally comes out? I'm of the opinion that they should take as much as they think is needed. What's the hurry? If we get to enjoy it in 1 year, or in 3-5 years?

I get the general sentiment of wanting good stuff as fast as possible, but if it's undercooked, I don't want it. I want it when they think it's ready. I want the experience they want to offer.

Generally, I'd be more worried or complain if the game was out too soon. I'm happy they apparently have the budget to keep developing it, and not run out of money and push it out in a half-assed state.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Well lets see this game was supposedly in production after OS 2 so it's safe to assume it already has been in development for at least 3-5 years already. The problem is in Swen's own words the game got bloated, and is now 3x bigger then originally planned.

Well lets see this game was supposedly in production after OS 2 so it's safe to assume it already has been in development for at least 3-5 years already. The problem is in Swen's own words the game got bloated, and is now 3x bigger then originally planned.

Bloated or just more content than originally planned? Because I'm not sure it's so easy to differentiate between the two. If it's the latter, then great, imo. Again, game dev is probably one of the most difficult software development fields. I'd rather let them have the time they need. I'm in no hurry. There's literally hundreds of other things to play.

Take a guess as the team is 10 times larger as well. Anyway I would love to see what the fiances of Larian are nowadays. Just to see income earned vs income spent.
This contains something I've been waiting since it launched in Early Access - someone in the company to utter the words "We were wrong."

I bought the game because I believed them when they said it would probably be out within a year. And I was pretty disappointed to see that year become two years, become three years.

And I know Early Access is subject to change - I'm not sitting here agitating that I was ripped off and demanding my money back. I'm just saying it was disappointing to see a game I expected to play within a year disappear onto the horizon.

And I appreciate that they're finally saying explicitly that they were just wrong, instead of the constantly positive business-speak about how excited they are at each new stage.

I have no issue with them being 3 years late. They've provided constant updates. From the general feel I get from the community it seems to be going ok, unless I'm missing something. I've been part of the initial backers. It's a video game project. They're not 3D printing bricks and assembling a house. It's design. It's programming. It's writing. It's music. It's inevitable that plans are just estimations. I'm just happy it's getting done, and not abandoned due to mismanagement. It would be so easy for them to just end up with no more money, unable to continue.

I get that people payed money before hand, but if it's that big of a deal, maybe don't pay before hand hext time, and just wait until it's done. You payed money, and it'll come, as far as we currently know. We were never promised when it'll come out. We were given an estimate. This is the sort of shit I also experience when I need to give estimates at my job, and as soon as the estimate comes out of my mouth, it becomes a delivery date for management. If what I was building came off a conveyer belt, then sure, we can talk precise estimates. Otherwise, it's gonna be subject to unforseen complexity.

The same vague "2023" they told before, but it makes it official at least. I don't mind when the game comes out, as a kid I couldn't wait to get my presents but I've learned to be patient. :)

I fully agree with @danutz_plusplus; - except that planning house construction is hell too ;) However I believe in having a motivating target for any project, both for the scope and the date, even if we know it'll change.

Any developer would go on developing a game forever if there wasn't a financial limit somewhere, maybe that's why so many games are not finished when they come out. I hope that without this limitation the game won't be too bloated indeed.

I still think they should have released the game in reasonably-sized chapters, instead of a huge game of hundreds of hours in one go. That's the way forward, especially if they depend on feedback.

Nothing about Planescape I assume? That setting is still "dead"?

Looking forward to it. Still got some time then. And a release in 2023 also just means "Not before 2023" ;)

Back
Top Bottom