Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Ten Reasons It's Faithful

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
CVG offers up ten reasons why fans shouldn't be worried about the faithfulness of this game. Here are a few of them:

KEEP THE FAITH
Eidos Montreal didn't just play the bejesus out of Deus Ex, Invisible War and Project Snowblind, they also commissioned a whole bunch of consumer studies to quiz fans on their recollections of the series - and what they wanted to see play in future instalments.
This painstaking prep lasted a full two years... now that's what you call a faithful homage.
SIZE MATTERS
With most games nowadays clocking in at a relatively measly eight hours, Human Revolution looks set to buck that trend... and then some!
In keeping with the spirit of the original, Eidos reckon you can potentially rattle through in 20 hours - but tackle the side quests and it's closer to 30
More information.

I know the reasons, but it's kind of sad when modern games advertize 20-30 hours like it's, well, groundbreaking. Makes me nostalgic.

Yea, I thought that as well. I'm on hour 80 of Fallout: New Vegas and I still haven't passed it yet.

Same here guys. 30 hours would be the demo right? ;) They might need to work on it another year and give us something to play for a while.

LOL, no not quite a demo.

I'm still very excited about this game. It can keep it's 30 hours as long as it offers up a Dues Ex more in line with the first one. I'll still buy it in a heartbeat.

Well, the original Deus Ex wasn't much longer than that.

Not that you can ever count on these things, but I actually spent around 30 hours completing it.

To be honest, I think it went on for a few hours too long.

A strong 20-25 hour experience seems just right for a game of this kind.

Also, I think it sounds absolutely fantastic - but I'm trying to curtail my excitement. I can't deal with more disappointments on the level it would be if they let me down.

Yea, I thought that as well. I'm on hour 80 of Fallout: New Vegas and I still haven't passed it yet.

Yep, I'm 70 hours in to Fallout and I just doing side quests in the Vegas area. I'm no where close to half way done with the game and I'm still loving it. crashes and all. OTH I don't mind short games either. I had a blast with the short term Arcania. Some games just aren't worth the extended hours (ahem Dragon Age). If Deus Ex is pretty much a linear game with no real side quests, then 30 hours might be enough.

Yup, recently replayed Deus Ex and I reckon I spent about 25 hours on it (I did it the stealth/hacker way, doing pretty much everything there is to do, everything explored, but only died a couple of times), so that's certainly a good number. It was of course a highly re-playable game on top of being of decent length.

I agree with DArtagnan that the original was just a TAD too long. Just a little.

I've also been cautiously optimistic about the game. Come to think of it, the planned release date is a lot closer than I originally thought. Perhaps I can finally get a PC upgrade by March :)

Of all those reasons only a few are "faithful" to the original, somewhat. This kind of idiotic hype is the kind that starts to turn me off from a game. stop it. more details - less cheerleading.

Hell the fact that there ARE 10 hours of optional things to do in a shooter (hybrid whatever) is a pretty good sign. Not many shooter type games have anything optional (the newest Wolfenstein game did, but I can think of no others recently).

Of course it could still be 30 hours or crappy game but so far it looks and sounds like it might be good.

I'm still excited about the game too. I'd rather see a longer game and it probably will be longer for me as I generally replay whole sections of a game just to see which way feels best for me.

As far as FNV, I'm on 160+ hours but haven't finished the game either. I'd say 100 hours on my level 20 character and the other 60 with other builds. I've got a slow leveler mod in my games.

Last edited:
Mostly the only games that are really long are open world or semi-open world games which this isn't. Hopefully this is going to have enough differences between the ways you go though the game to make it worth a few replays.

yes, but claiming they are faithful to the original is false…

again I'm taking aim at the reviewer not the game. :)

Agreed. I thought the rest of the reasons were a load of crap. Gold colors??? I was lucky to find those two in the ten listed. Maybe could have included the realistic tech, but that didn't seem faithful just well researched.

I have no idea why this person did not mention the fact that the game allows you to take multiple different paths to solve a problem. That right there is faithful enough for me.

Eidos Montreal didn't just play the bejesus out of Deus Ex, Invisible War and Project Snowblind, they also commissioned a whole bunch of consumer studies to quiz fans on their recollections of the series - and what they wanted to see play in future instalments.

Heck, they could have just asked me, I would have told them the truth. :)

Deux Ex is a classic, Invisible War was a dumbed down disappointment, and Project Snowblind wasn't worth the cardboard box it shipped in.

1) Bless them for making the game look even half as amazing as it does. I was one of the original detractors when I heard it was going to be a prequel but the art design and breaking with canon has, oddly enough, saved it (i.e. not going for the bulky look of pre-nano mods established in Deus Ex 1).

2) If this game really does offer three distinct paths (stealth, combat, dialog) to every major goal it will definitely be my 2011 Game of the Year (and perhaps the first game to raise the bar on 90s PC titans like Fallout 1 and Arcanum).

3) I can't wait to see what they do with Thief. I have faith in these kids.

I'm hearing scary things about Thief 4, though.

It can't be the same team, can it?

Back
Top Bottom