Elder Scrolls Online - Coldharbour and Molag Bal

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
ZeniMax Online and publisher Bethesda released a new trailer for The Elder Scrolls Online. The trailer takes players to the plane of Coldharbour to catch a glimpse of the twisted mind of Molag Bal.

Molag Bal, the God of Schemes, threatens all of Tamriel in The Elder Scrolls Online. Watch this new video to visit his Oblivion plane of Coldharbour and learn more about his plans.

We're taking you straight to Molag Bal's realm in this new video. Watch it to get a glimpse of Coldharbour and some of its inhabitants and to learn more about this malevolent Daedric Prince's plans for Tamriel—and your soul.

For more information and to learn about answer submission options, please visit elderscrollsonline.com!
More information.

Last edited:
I do think that Elder Scrolls lore is a distinct advantage for ESO and they seem to be aware of the importance of creating a convincing world. I feel the lore in Guild Wars 2, for instance, is a bit of a weakness and they never manage to create a wholly convincing illusion.

I love the monsters designs so far (especially the walking tree/spriggan). The sense of scale is amazing too (especially when ESO doesn't use super-sized corridors/path like most MMOs do).

Coldharbour looks like a corrupted Tamriel too. Although, it seems to be missing the "burning" sky. Oh and that jumping puzzle is going to be a pain.

I feel the lore in Guild Wars 2, for instance, is a bit of a weakness and they never manage to create a wholly convincing illusion.

GW2 lore is less in-your-face. Although, if you played GW and read the novels, you can shed a few tears here and there while playing.

*sniff*Snafffff*sniff*

It's not just less in-your-face - it's not there unless you go out of your way to find it.

I think that was big mistake in GW2 - and I actually like that you don't have it shoved in your face. They just went too much in the opposite direction.

It doesn't exactly help that the personal storylines are awful with awful voice acting. It was supposed to be one of the main drives - ala SWtOR and Secret World - but it's so inferior I lack the words. It's like a couple of 12 year olds wrote that part of the game, and all the talent had the other jobs.

A prophecy cliche, environment from Disney animation haunted forest(s) and a soulless player - in MMO? Um... You're that soulless player... In MMO. Then others are what?

What kind of *** is that?
I'm really not very interested in MMO, but was planning to try this one. This video however is just turning me off from it.

LOL joxer, did you have your medical checkup lately? You sound like somebody with stomach ulcers or kidney stones :)
Each one to its own of course but I like this game more and more with every teaser released.

You sure it's me who needs a medical?

I wasn't only talking about your comments about this game...

Oh, there is someone who reads my other comments?
I only hope devs who know only how to design grinding do too.

Pretty cool video. I like the look of Coldharbour, and of course the lore of ES is some of my favorite fantasy lore out there. I really can't wait for this one to release.

The player's soul is missing and (s)he is on a quest to reclaim it. Well, that's a rather dumb plot premise in my opinion.

If I wanted lore in an MMO, I'd go play Everquest 2. But what I really want is a fun, social, and impactful gaming experience. And TES Online has previewed absolutely nothing along this avenue.

re: GW2

It's unfortunate that the human personal story, which by far the greatest number of players see, is the weakest of all. None are that great, but not all are as poor as that one.

Everquest 2 has good lore? I should try that game, but isn't it ancient by now? Lots of people still playing?

How does this plot even begin to make sense? Every single one of the zillions of players is "The special one"?

Or is it just supposed to send a message that each human / bosmer / dwemer / etc being is unique and special in its own way? ;)

GW2 lore is less in-your-face. Although, if you played GW and read the novels, you can shed a few tears here and there while playing.

*sniff*Snafffff*sniff*

Yes, me too, cried like a baby when I found Gwen's grave (much to the bewilderment of a guildie on Teamspeak), although I hate to admit it. In many ways I was more immersed by GW1's world, although I can't quite put a finger on why.

How does this plot even begin to make sense? Every single one of the zillions of players is "The special one"?

Or is it just supposed to send a message that each human / bosmer / dwemer / etc being is unique and special in its own way? ;)

Well it's much the same for single player games - in reality there are zillions of Dragonborns and you are just one! Sorry to disillusion you :).

In many ways I was more immersed by GW1's world, although I can't quite put a finger on why.

Likewise. The pacing is much less frenetic in the original; you can plan out your strategy for dealing with subsequent packs of enemies. In GW2, it's simply a case of hopping from one enemy to the next, from one event to the next. This, combined with the stark lack of comparable skill variety is why I prefer GW1 to to its sequel.

Everquest 1 and 2 are both alive and doing well. I've played a few online games, and none do it quite as well as these two have. I still raid in EQ2, Sony briefly dabbled with the toilet that is social bullcrap but they quickly backed off a few years ago, and the game has improved for it. Warcraft held my interest for 5 days, EQ has had me since 1998.

-Carn

Every MMO with a personal story does this. Every smuggler in SWotOR has exactly the same storyline, every player of GW2 is the one who kills the undead dragon, etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom