Expeditions: Viking - Goes Gold

Day 1 purchase for me. But I'll be buying on GOG. DRM in any form is gross and besides I'd much rather support CDPR than Valve.

I expect it will be between this and No Truce With the Furies for my GOTY.

Day 1 purchase for me. But I'll be buying on GOG. DRM in any form is gross and besides I'd much rather support CDPR than Valve.

This is a good point i havent considered. I'll try and play as much as I can on GoG from now.

I will add Copper Dreams into the mix and then decide :)

$29.99 seems quite high? To me it seems quite low for a release price, was expecting $40 actually.

I think it will empirically be *worth* $40 (to me at least), especially considering game prices have basically plummeted in the last 15 years, but I don't think it would be wise to price it that high, since even asking for $20 engenders a slew of "Games should never cost more than $15" complaints.

Expeditions: Conquistador was a great game, my personal Game of The Year 2013 and it received the Silver Medal here on RPGWatch (Granted there weren't many competitors that year).

30€ is a great price point. I Would even pay 40€ for Expeditions Conquistador in Hindsight.

And Vikings puts a little more focus on RPG-Aspects on what I can judge. The Character and Skill System is much more detailed.

Now the only question is how good the combat will feel. But I am quite optimistic.

If you would pay those prices for EC, you're a sucker. The RPG aspects in EV is more detailed, but it is by no means groundbreaking, and definitely not worth a $30 USD pricetag, maybe $20-25, max.

Expect to pay GOG's extra price gouge then. The only time I buy games on GOG is if they are on sale, or if I cannot get them on Steam.

Good for you but some of us do stuff on a whim I guess.
Me? I bought plenty of new releases like TW3 directly on GOG, when possible I take GOG key from KS projects I supported, etc. Doesn't mean I won't buy something on Steam, Origin or uPlay.

About Expeditions2 I've already said I'm buying it, will it be on Steam or GOG, honestly, couldn't care less. I just know I want it.

If you would pay those prices for EC, you're a sucker. The RPG aspects in EV is more detailed, but it is by no means groundbreaking, and definitely not worth a $30 USD pricetag, maybe $20-25, max.

I don't think the price tag is purely about "RPG Aspects" in a game. Played Expeditions Conquistador for over 50 hours and had lots of fun with it.

Personally I always go with a rule of thumb that 1€ for 1h of gaming is fine. If I get more time out of it, it's great. FPS games and other games which are expected to be finished in 15h or so, but still cost 50€ I normally buy in a sale when they hit that low price point.

And if a game is expected to suck, I wouldn't buy it at all.

The by-the-hour assessment makes a lot of sense. I do that too. Battle Brothers, for instance, cost me about $0.20/hour so far, though it's still dropping.

As for whether or not I'm a "sucker" for paying x dollars for a game, it doesn't even matter, since every game goes on sale for progressively smaller prices until it ends up as part of a Humble Bundle for five bucks, or even for free.

So why complain about the price on release? Also, what do you think these devs do for a living? How do you think they pay the rent? There aren't any microtransactions, they're not going to make up the income selling t-shirts. They spend *years* of their lives developing and supporting their games, but you think thirty bucks is some kind of ripoff?

Good for you but some of us do stuff on a whim I guess.
Me? I bought plenty of new releases like TW3 directly on GOG, when possible I take GOG key from KS projects I supported, etc. Doesn't mean I won't buy something on Steam, Origin or uPlay.

About Expeditions2 I've already said I'm buying it, will it be on Steam or GOG, honestly, couldn't care less. I just know I want it.

I am very judicious when it comes to my gaming purchases and whenever possible utilize the isthereanydeal.com web site to hunt down the cheapest price possible. A very useful site, if I may add. Sites like GOG and Steam prey on people who make purchases on "whims".

So why complain about the price on release? Also, what do you think these devs do for a living? How do you think they pay the rent? There aren't any microtransactions, they're not going to make up the income selling t-shirts. They spend *years* of their lives developing and supporting their games, but you think thirty bucks is some kind of ripoff?

I, personally, couldn't give a bleeding shite about the devs, they have their lives, I have mine. I am sure they are compensated accordingly. Bottom line -- after playing the final closed beta of EV, I am hesitant to pay $30 USD for such a product. It is a simple as that.

Not an odd position to take!
Though on a forum for fans of computer games, on RPGWatch, I find it an odd position to take. And after all, as I said, you don't have to pay $30 to play it. It will basically be pay-what-you-want, simply a matter of time.

Sales and some deluxe indie releases at low price have psychologically drop down prices. There's still players who don't bother much, but they are more and more in minority.

For me it's crystal clear that game price isn't coming just from its production cost, but as much from how much sells it can expect. It means niche games can only cost more for a similar production value.

In this case I'm hesitant because myself I'm far to have find really fun the first game. It was definitely a game interesting to play because of its original aspects that for most are quite well done, but as a whole it wasn't my type of game. I found games as Antharion and Baldum a lot more fun, despite they are certainly more flawed and quite more cheap.

I will add Copper Dreams into the mix and then decide :)

Yes, only reason I didn't mention CD is last I heard from Joe of Whalenought was that it will probably won't release until early next year... Depends on how the alpha / beta goes I guess.

Back
Top Bottom