Conan Exiles - Reinvents Itself for Launch

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TechRaptor reports that Conan Exiles will have new areas and gameplay elements at launch on May 8:

Conan Exiles Reinvents Itself for Launch

Funcom has heard the lamentations of the fans regarding their game Conan Exiles, and while the community won’t see everything people have requested (Conan Exiles isn’t getting an army of mounts or the like), at a digital press event I was able to get hands-on and see some impressive changes addressing many concerns people have expressed for this next adventure in the Hyborian Age.

Conan’s New Soul

Perhaps the change that will impact the game most on a moment to moment basis is the complete combat overhaul that Funcom has pulled off. Originally, Conan Exiles had a simplistic combat system that they based off of Skyrim. Many players had issues with it, and as combat is a core component to basically anything with the name Conan, Funcom listened. Instead of messing around with small tweaks, they opted to make a new combat system for Conan Exiles to do justice to the barbarian, taking more inspiration from recent Action RPGs.

While hesitant to name it, the Souls series is the clear inspiration, with each of the different weapons having heavy and light attacks that chain together into combos. Beyond that, there are also special finisher effects on heavy attack finishers (like bleed for daggers), dodge rolling around, and the secondary weapon/block button varies based on what you have equipped. Shields block and quickly break, two-handed attacks kick, and double daggers get a quicker, special backward dodge roll.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I picked the game up today. Seems like it could be fun playing on your own private server or with a few friends. I don't PvP too much so will stay away from those servers. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Conan ever since I bought my first Conan comic, in the late 70's. Barry Windsor Smith was a hell of an artist.

I don't play any of the twitch games, so I haven't touched CE since they started messing with it. I was hoping they would flesh out the RPG elements but that didn't happen. This is a base-builder/gore fest button masher now. You do have to time the button mashing so that it's even more inane.

I watched some videos and it doesn't seem much worse than Skyrim combat which I enjoyed. It was only $30 so I jumped in. If it was $50 or more I would have waited I think. As long as it's single person and not group combat I don't mind action combat.

I have a friend that bought this last week, so I'm waiting to hear what she thinks of it before I grab it for myself. I'm a huge Howard fan, have been since I was a wee little one, but most of the endeavours I've seen have been disappointments. May this one prove to be a delight.

Another trend to be taken into account: splitting things into bits when being unable to consider the whole. The RPG genre already gave a lot to that stuff.

While hesitant to name it, the Souls series is the clear inspiration, with each of the different weapons having heavy and light attacks that chain together into combos. Beyond that, there are also special finisher effects on heavy attack finishers (like bleed for daggers), dodge rolling around, and the secondary weapon/block button varies based on what you have equipped. Shields block and quickly break, two-handed attacks kick, and double daggers get a quicker, special backward dodge roll.

These bits can be found into many games. It looks like reviewers have no background in gaming. The same scheme that operated in RPGs is at work: bits are found in two products so they must be the same. Review misses the point that bits can appear together while delivering a different whole.
There will be no DS combat style in this Conan product. The review evades core design that makes it not possible.

Next is that the combat is inspired from the very excellent God of War since it has the same bits in it.

Gaming happens on consoles, not on PCs.

My gaming happens on my computer, as it has since the early eighties. Consoles are amusing, but they will never capture the inspiration and awe that comes with a true machine of the now.

Sure, sure, it can be believed.

God Of War gave several thoughts, one is that it takes a lot to keep believing that PC gaming is not dead.

God of War is clearly a game that could have taken full advantage on being developped on PC, yet it happened on consoles.

Well, God of War is a PS exclusive franchise, so hardly surprising it's on console.

Actually, the franchise changed course. It took a new dimension. They could have pushed it to the PC scene for that occasion. They did not.

Game is pretty fun. A little too much crafting for me but the grinding to get better weapons and armor doesn't take too long. I like the world so far and the exploring is fun. Combat is decent. Just playing it in single player as I learn it.

I also own this game and poke around with it now and then. Graphics are not bad. It doesn't engage me like other games do but I enjoy puttering with it now and then.

What is there to do except grinding, crafting and base building? Quests of any kind? Instances?

Back
Top Bottom