Beamdog - New Baldur's Gate incoming?

I dunno. This feels off somehow.

Their work on the EE versions was pretty good. It was almost required these days since the ancient "direct play" and stuff Infinity engine uses, especially for multiplayer, can be tricky to get going on modern systems. If we want classics to be bootable into the future someone has to do this kinda work or we'll eventually have to mess about with emulators and probably never get a co-op game working!

But, I mean, they've been the guys restoring Infinity engine games and nothing else… Now they're making their own original one and you, what? Wish it wasn't in the setting all their work and experience is in? What they're passionate about?

Nah. Someone else can and will come up with an original IP (Intellectual Property) for you to ignore. These guys should obviously stick to what they know and with a fully original campaign they can really show us what they've made of what they're made of. :)

If you don't like the work they've done why would you want an original IP from them? And if you liked their EE work why would you want a original IP from them?

I don't know about JDR, but I didn't think *enhancing* original game is a proof that they can do a good job in making original content. I didn't like any of the new NPCs in BG1 EE and that's pretty much the only new content they've added (apart from The Black Pits, which is really was not much of a new idea). So in summary, I don't want neither new BG game from the scratch nor new IP from them :)

I don't know about JDR, but I didn't think *enhancing* original game is a proof that they can do a good job in making original content. I didn't like any of the new NPCs in BG1 EE and that's pretty much the only new content they've added (apart from The Black Pits, which is really was not much of a new idea). So in summary, I don't want neither new BG game from the scratch nor new IP from them :)

Lets be honest here. Anyone that has anything to do with the BB gates games is planning on, going to or has attempted to release the next BB or BB3.

We have yet to see it, though as long as people are willing to try I am willing to support them in their attempts.

I've played and own none of the enhanced editions at this point though have been tempted to pick up just to have an updated version so I won't comment on the ability of Beamdog.

Like others I am actually not interested in new Baldur's Gate game at this point (which surprises me given I think BG2 was one of top 3 games ever made). I would love something in the general Forgotten Realms setting but not anything to do with the Bhaal storyline since we know what happened there. I'm more interested in new characters and storylines.

I want to know if they got rights from Hasbro/WotC to develop new content for D&D under 2e. According to this article, Atari/Infogrames had the license locked down for 15 years starting in 2000 which means it has finally expired I guess. Anyone have details on this? This possibly unlocks the D&D deadlock that seems to have been going on for too long which might mean they can do something more interesting with the engine.

Mmm. I wasn't a fan of the original content in the EEs. So I won't be getting excited about this. Wish them well, though, and I'll pick it up if it is well received by the right people.

I dunno. This feels off somehow.

Their work on the EE versions was pretty good. It was almost required these days since the ancient "direct play" and stuff Infinity engine uses, especially for multiplayer, can be tricky to get going on modern systems. If we want classics to be bootable into the future someone has to do this kinda work or we'll eventually have to mess about with emulators and probably never get a co-op game working!

But, I mean, they've been the guys restoring Infinity engine games and nothing else… Now they're making their own original one and you, what? Wish it wasn't in the setting all their work and experience is in? What they're passionate about?

Nah. Someone else can and will come up with an original IP (Intellectual Property) for you to ignore. These guys should obviously stick to what they know and with a fully original campaign they can really show us what they've made of what they're made of. :)

If you don't like the work they've done why would you want an original IP from them? And if you liked their EE work why would you want a original IP from them?

Not sure what was off about what I posted, but I have no problem spelling it out for you if you're confused.

They're using a modified version of a 17 year old engine to make a sequel/prequel to two games that are generally considered classics. It's a cash grab if I've ever seen one.

As to why I'd rather see an original game (And by "orginal", I didn't mean a new IP, but don't let me stop you from jumping to conclusions. ;) ), that shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I'm a fan of D&D and especially the Forgotten Realms setting. Like others here, I'd like to see a new adventure somewhere else in Faerûn. There's a lot of untapped potential there.

As far as these guys showing us what they're made of with a fully original campaign, well… how about you wake me when they actually create something that's fully original? :)

I think Beamdog did wonderfull job with these beloved classic. The fact that i don't have to install tons of fixpacks just to get these games running on modern pc is a reason enough to rebuy them and getting b2 functionality to bg1 is a big plus. Not to mention all the new features, updated graphics, improved user interface and new content. I don't see any negatives.

edit: I think with ee editions they have shown us that they have skill to work with the engine which is a good omen for success of the upcoming adventure-y. I read from the official forums that they even managed to hire many familiar voice actors. So lets keep our mind open. :)

Maybe if adventure y is a success they can start developping a new game on more modern engine.

Last edited:
After Pillars of Eternity and how it improved the controls and comfort of RTwP, I don't think I'm too excited about a game using the infinity engine again. Wasn't too fond of the new EE content, either. My impression was that Beamdog mainly employs the old tech department, not the narrative design group of old Bioware. As a result the EEs have been a mainly technical thing. I'm also still disappointed about how they handled localizations.

Meh.
Cashgrab.

Back
Top Bottom