Risen 3: Titan Lords - RPC 2014 Presentation

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
i just hope someday they'll stop presenting graphics like its some kind of art

it should be the last thing on the list.. showing off the sky and you random objects

if anyone can gather something good from it please make a list. I dind;t feel like it

Curses! I feel the stirrings of hope in my gut… That is all ;)

Damn that spoiler! but what better way to display that swimming is a thing again though! :)

Anyways its the world design that makes or breaks their games but this little vid (although you gotta use your imagination a bit due to the bad shaky cam) and some of the screens make me cautiously optimistic :fingerscrossed:

I'd be sooo grateful to our german friends for a short rundown/highlights of Bjorn's speech :[

I held off playing Risen for years because of its average reviews, but I actually enjoyed it more than any of the gothic games when I got around to playing it. Didn't finish it yet. Didn't play Risen2, either.

People who love complaining about KB+mouse controls don't mess with Gothic! xD

This is looking pretty cool. I'm keen to give it a look. :)

Thanks for reminding me.;)

I recall you had to use just your keyboard but I quickly got used to it.

Anyway The problem with bad ports of any PC game though is they require way to many keys to play. I find it's easier to just use a game-pad.:)
I'd be sooo grateful to our german friends for a short rundown/highlights of Bjorn's speech :[

I concur as the goggle translate for subs is terrible. It can't even translate half the video.

The original Gothic had a console-inspired control layout, which took a little while to get used to.

But it made a lot of sense after a while, and it soon became second nature. That's because it wasn't a lazy port - and the developers had actually put some thought into their controls.

PB games are usually worth the investment of time and effort, because they reward your dedication. Their games tend to start out hard - which is how it should be for you to get a sense of progression, and they have a powercurve that makes sense.

Their worlds are so well crafted, that you feel compelled to explore - and that's exactly the kind of thing that makes me want to invest.

TES games, for instance, tend to start out easy and they keep getting easier. Much less compelling in terms of character progression - but the freedom is second to none, and there's always a massive amount of content.

It's my hope that The Witcher 3 will be a combination - and as close to the ideal open world RPG as we're likely to get.

I held off playing Risen for years because of its average reviews, but I actually enjoyed it more than any of the gothic games when I got around to playing it. Didn't finish it yet. Didn't play Risen2, either.

This is looking pretty cool. I'm keen to give it a look. :)

You should give G2 +NOTR a chance again then. Risen 1 is a very very decent (very good imo ;) ) game but really its just a more streamlined "remake" sort of thing of G2 for the first 50% with a much more limited scope overall that really narrows down to the still decent later chapters.

Not to mention that for those that enjoy challenging gameplay. I'd say G2+NOTR is the only thing that I'd put on a level somewhat close to the Souls games. Especially if you play a firemage.

Not that this is the #1 reason you'd play it. Rather its the exploration and unique world building and atmosphere (a bit inferior to #1's imo) and great art direction and monster design together with the gritty humor and character building of PB. Then again those are pretty much the same reason I am obsessed with the souls games :)
(Yes right down to the gritty humor and NPCs although there is probably less emphasis on that on DS)

P.S. Once again I display how little controls and GUI's mean to my enjoyment of games I guess... People shoud probably ignore me on that aspect. :biggrin:

You should give G2 +NOTR a chance again then. Risen 1 is a very very decent (very good imo ;) ) game but really its just a more streamlined "remake" sort of thing of G2 for the first 50% with a much more limited scope overall that really narrows down to the still decent later chapters.

Not to mention that for those that enjoy challenging gameplay. I'd say G2+NOTR is the only thing that I'd put on a level somewhat close to the Souls games. Especially if you play a firemage.

Not that this is the #1 reason you'd play it. Rather its the exploration and unique world building and atmosphere (a bit inferior to #1's imo) and great art direction and monster design together with the gritty humor and character building of PB. Then again those are pretty much the same reason I am obsessed with the souls games :)
(Yes right down to the gritty humor and NPCs although there is probably less emphasis on that on DS)

I'd agree with that.

Gothic and Risen aren't anywhere near as refined as Dark Souls when it comes to the combat system, but then again - they're open world RPGs - not combat simulators set in a relatively open world, like Dark Souls.

That said, I find G2:NotR a bit too tiresome when it comes to the initial challenge. It's more about the grind to a decent level than the challenge of it. Monsters have predictable AI - and they're highly exploitable if you're into that sort of thing - and as such, it's just work to get your skills and gear to a sufficient level.

It's my hope that The Witcher 3 will be a combination - and as close to the ideal open world RPG as we're likely to get.

Don't want to start an off topic discussion here. But this is indeed my hope too.

TW2 cooled me off a bit towards them (old discussion lets not go into it again). But they really sound like they want to make my dream game in #3 (and Cyberpunk ;) )…
Lets see what they deliver…

P.S. Not going into the other one either ;)

Don't want to start an off topic discussion here. But this is indeed my hope too.

TW2 cooled me off a bit towards them (old discussion lets not go into it again). But they really sound like they want to make my dream game in #3 (and Cyberpunk ;) )…
Lets see what they deliver…

P.S. Not going into the other one either ;)

I'm possibly even more excited about Cyberpunk - but it's too early to tell.

Keeping my fingers crossed for both titles :)

Come on you know you want to JonNik.;)

Just be sure to keep it confined to one page this time. It will also give me something to complain about once again. I need to flex my mod powers sometimes anyway.:lol:

Me two but it's a shame Cyberpunk 2077 wont be out till at least 2017-18. They also better not delay The Witcher 3 game again.:mad:

Last off topic post. HONEST ;)

Yeah, damn I mean I love DX:HR despite its a bit too streamlined gameplay (def. lacks to the original in that) and world design/mission style design(*). But open world cyberpunk with CDPR's approach to story design and CnC … :wheresthefriggindroolsmilie: ;)

(*the tone theme and atmosphere were just spot on. I need to replay that sometime!)
aright back to work ;)

You guys are tempting me into a fanboy gamegasm..... Let's not go there :)

I don't know - it kind of looks a lot like we've gone from Gothic games that had wide open areas to games that can be best described as 'open-corridor' with the largest areas being in towns.

That was one of the things (amongst many mind) that soured me on Risen2 - the claustrophobic nature of it all and the feeling of not exploring so much as being 'funneled'.

I still think this has been done as it makes it easier to keep framerates up on bloody consoles.

I don't know - it kind of looks a lot like we've gone from Gothic games that had wide open areas to games that can be best described as 'open-corridor' with the largest areas being in towns.

That was one of the things (amongst many mind) that soured me on Risen2 - the claustrophobic nature of it all and the feeling of not exploring so much as being 'funneled'.

I still think this has been done as it makes it easier to keep framerates up on bloody consoles.

I'm betting that Risen 3 is significantly more open than Risen 2 was. Exploration is a topic that PB has repeatedly brought up when talking about Risen 3, and it seems to be something they want to improve on.

I still thought Risen 2 had good exploration compared to most recent RPGs, but it was obviously below PB's previous standards.

I agree overall, though some of the islands in Risen 2 were quite large.

My problem with Risen 2 - beyond the broken combat mechanics and crappy magic system - was the lack of variety in the islands, not so much the size of them. I never completed it for that reason, as I felt the latter islands weren't worth exploring.

Quite unfortunate, because if they'd made each island feel different - it might actually have been better than the Gothics. As much as I love Gothic and Gothic 2 - their worlds didn't have much in the way of visual variety.

Isle of the Magicians - they are building a large reactor. (possibly to fight the Main Game Evil) release date 15th August

Sandbox,
no linear story / no forced missions,
Use powerful combat magic
Hungry Chocobos and some Gothic I monsters are back,
Climbing
Swim Underwater
No kicking in fights?
Swords, rapiers / daggers, axes powerful weapons (possibly magical)
Lure strong monster into medieval city and let the guards handle it. :DD
The sneaky Gnomes are back and live underground - (jumping into the well)

Awesome that Piranha Bytes can get away by creating same Gothic I basic design again with Gothic II then again with Gothic III again with Risen I again with Risen II then again with Risen III.

Mage Guilds & Whatever Guilds to join, more detailed world, Titans rummaging around, powerful Guardians guardianing the Mages/changing their diapers, but listen:

- Our hero lost His Soul. and must find it again or he will become a Hollow / Undead/ ghost. And then he cannot get more ice cream and girlfriends and cars and stuff. OMG! Isn't this Dark Souls? No.

What good they did:
- Obviously an amazing new engine
- They fixed the Combat System, at least they claim.. well our hero doesn't fight like Witcher(tm) Streamlined YouCan'tMoveWhile MoCap is Playing crap.
- Rolls and blocks seem to work, fighting techniques seem to be very nicely separated and unique.
- Beautiful falling - toppling animations
- No One-hit Monsters! Amazing that monsters have a lot of HP and cannot be taken down as easily as GoW skeletons.

Swim Underwater

I haven't heard that yet, but I hope it's true.

Awesome that Piranha Bytes can get away by creating same Gothic I basic design again with Gothic II then again with Gothic III again with Risen I again with Risen II then again with Risen III.

You mean like every AAA developer does with their primary franchise? i.e. TES, Assassin's Creed, GTA, etc. etc…

It's all about execution - and PB tend to execute this particular formula very well. Sure, they've lost some of their magic - but they still have more than most :)

Back
Top Bottom