HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Underrail will get a global map:

Dev Log #55: Global Map

Hi guys,

While our development is mostly focused on the expansion there are a couple of issues that we wanted to address before its release as we think that they will greatly influence the experience of playing the DLC as well as the base game.

First of these is the global map. This was a contested issue since the alpha versions and is probably the most frequent complaint we get from the people that have a positive view of the game as a whole. Some people may be wondering if the global map was something that was originally planned for the game and, truth to be told, I don't really remember (original plans for the game were laid almost 10 years ago now), but knowing myself I would probably implement one if I had the (time) resources that I have now. Back when I was at it alone I had to cut corners in both content and feature departments, and map is a bit of both really. Later, when the game has grown monstrously in size, even though I then had the time to add new features, a good amount of geographical inconsistencies made sure that there was no quick and easy way to produce a quality map, but instead some major rearragements were going to have to be made.

[...]
More information.

I really enjoyed Underrail but was always annoyed by the lack of a global map. This made it easy to get lost at times. When the DLC finally gets released I'm going to do another complete playthrough of the game.

I'm hoping he'll change his mind and rejig the endgame.

Hurray for a global map! But yeah, I stopped playing because of things that were mentioned about the Deep Caverns. It didn't sound worth the bother.

So they'll never fix the final parts? Those parts are respawn abusing, closed and suddenly not compatible with many builds ruling fine everything before. This game has many great aspects, but the dev is a stubborn to not realize how stupid is the design of last parts.

Dang no time, lots of games. Where we're all these games in 1998 when I had tons of time?!?

I hope he makes the map part of the actual game. Make the player have to acquire it rather than having it from the start.

Deep Caverns were atmospheric… but not fun due to respawns, mainly. I had to use a walkthrough, too, due to not being able to connect the dots between the little bits of exposition regarding what the hell you're supposed to do down there! Using a walkthrough always sucks the enjoyment out of a game, also.

I hope he makes the map part of the actual game. Make the player have to acquire it rather than having it from the start.
From what he said you will need to visit whole area and explore it to have it added to your map and have notes added.
If you are talking about finding a device that allows you to see any map at all, not sure why it is needed to keep players away from it until X moment.. maybe at best they could give you one when you have dealt with rathound problem.

This game has many great aspects, but the dev is a stubborn to not realize how stupid is the design of last parts.
This isn't uncommon even among great indie devs. The "I'm going to do it my way!" attitude can definitely go too far when you throw out or change design features established for decades.

This isn't uncommon even among great indie devs. The "I'm going to do it my way!" attitude can definitely go too far when you throw out or change design features established for decades.
To be stubborn? That's right, I could list a few, but in that case it's like the extreme, the gobal map is a pointless hand holding crap, the game was working very fine without it, and the few problems was only coming from some bad path/direction description coming from many changes of the game.

But last parts, which definitely had also ton of great aspects, have some mad design elements, that the dev should have tuned since long. Without those last parts this game should have been in the classics list. Instead, for me, because of that, it will never end in my top thirty.

I enjoyed this when I bought and played it years ago, yet the areas were unfinished. But I can't see going back to try the complete game with the mixed reviews and the promised tedium. (I remember the sloooow backtracking)

I enjoyed this when I bought and played it years ago, yet the areas were unfinished. But I can't see going back to try the complete game with the mixed reviews and the promised tedium. (I remember the sloooow backtracking)
Devs said they got one more feature in the works that people asked for.
And people asked for faster moving in addition to maps.

i think the main problem with the caves is that they dont fit together
its like a giant mesh up of maps
no wonder there was no map from the start

i think the main problem with the caves is that they dont fit together
its like a giant mesh up of maps
no wonder there was no map from the start

I used a spreadsheet some guy made, though I mainly used it for DC.

the patch with he map is out of beta and live on steam for a few days, got 700 mb update

Back
Top Bottom