The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

checkin out the new Tool in the shed - Yep, it's definitely Tool~

Like Van Halen, they have such a distinct sound, before the vocals even begin, that bass line starts poppin' and you know ol' Maynard is warming up.

As Pibbur said - no bad music yet from them.
Great, iconic band !

Like Van Halen, they have such a distinct sound, before the vocals even begin, that bass line starts poppin' and you know ol' Maynard is warming up.
I first heard about Tool in 2001, when I found a review of the "Lateralus" album. I bought it, and as soon as I heard the first notes of the opening track:

- I knew that these guys meant business, and I was in for a treat.

… More Tool is always a good thing.
So true. Which is kind of sad, given that we almost never get new Tool. 13 years!!!
If they continue like that I'll be 77 when the next album comes.

pibbur who fortunately has got more than 50% chance of being alive then.

This autumn seems to be great for music lover. Especially prog music lovers. We've already got Tool. And by the end of the month Opeth a new Opeth album is coming. Here's:

This time we get two versions of the album, one in English, and one in ... Swedish. The video above contains both versions. English versionstarts at 8:30.

pibbur who think he'll get the Swedish album.

Not bad, Thrasher. The vocals sound a little too much like a call to 3:00 prayers for me to really embrace it (don't know the appropriate term for that high-vibrato wail thing the middle easterners do), but definitely not bad.

I'm gonna go old school today. Popped up during the drive home and now I want to watch 16 Candles for the millionth time.

I'd post links to the Piano Guys, but I think it'd make most of you ill :D Piano and Cello.

It's here. Well, actually it's been here for 13 at the time of writing. I'm of course talking about "The Gereg", the debut album of The Hu (from Mongolia, remember?). This is the title track:

pibbur who admits he like weird music, but claims that this one isn't particularly so.

PS. 4 more days until "In Cauda Venenum" by….. DS.

OK, I promised I would take a break, but so far I've not been able to keep that promise.

Here's a song from a Norwegian prog rock band from the early 70's, Popol Vuh (they later changed their name to Popol Ace, because there already was a German band named Poplol Vuh). This song from 1973 is in may ways the essence of their music (I like it).

The admittedly weird singer but with an (IMO) incredible voice is Jahn Teigen, which after his tenure in the band, started a successful career as a solo artist (in Norway). Unfortunately with increasingly twee repertoire. To me, a very clear example of wasted talent. Here's "Mil etter mil" ("Mile after mile"), the 1978 Norwegian participation in the European Song Contest, where he managed to receive 0 - zero - points.

The song is in Norwegian, but trust me, those of you who don't understand it aren't missing anything (I won't bother you with a translation).

For reasons that eludes me, the tune became very populular in Norway - that probably says something. It has to be said, though, that he certainly had self-irony, as he later that year released an album which he named "This Year's Loser".

pibbur who in his youth quite often ran half a mile after a mile.

There was a small mistake in the translation of the title "Mil etter mil". The correct translation is "0.62137119224 mile after 0.62137119224 mile".

pibbur who admits that he only ran 0.31068559612 mile after 0.62137119224 mile.

Really enjoying this live KCRW performance by Big Wild.

Hard to categorize, but this is close "though rooted in electronica, the album features elements of energetic pop, indie & disco music". Also some nice guitar work and vocal harmonies.

https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/morning-becomes-eclectic/big-wild

This track in particular is rather moving for me: Maker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom