Keeping smoke in one room (incense burning question)

D

Deleted User

I'm wondering, is it true that a wet towel underneath a door will keep the smell of incense from seeping into other rooms? I am going to be burning some incense and want to make sure others in the house don't smell it, because they hate the stuff. And yes, I am really talking about incense here, nothing illegal :)

I have a 25 pack of Indian varieties coming tomorrow and I want to be prepared for the first burning session :). Any tips here?

What if you have to hit the john halfway through the "incense" session? Wouldn't the smoke escape then? Don't know how long the stuff lasts. A towel blocks smoke very well, as long as the rest of the room is sealed.

A wet towel will block the slit below the door quite well, yes. However, the question is whether that slit (if there even is one) is your main problem. Depending on your door / your building smoke may go through other vents or cracks etc. or even through an active venting system. Even if you can keep it in, the smell may drift to the people above when you open your windows after your session. Also, be aware that some incense may linger strongly in your carpet and furniture. Maybe start really small and see (or smell) for yourself how it goes.

Don't put a wet towel down. You'll just make mold.

Incense should be used outdoors! If you're going to use it to make your room smell nice just light it up, wave it around for 5 seconds then put it out again.

Even having the pack opened up and not ignited will stink the room out.

I have a box of "Nag Champa" in my bathroom, its been there for YEARS and I can still smell it even though I almost never light them up. It was a gift. :)

Thanks for the responses!

My first session went well :). The smell surprisingly didn't even leave the room! I'm only burning medium sized sticks that burn for approximately 20-25 minutes, and the room never really filled up with smoke or anything. I didn't even use a towel, because I wanted to see how it would go without one.

The room smells really nice long after the burning is done. Oh, and I made sure to keep a window cracked a few inches (the top portion closer to the ceiling), just for some added ventilation. Seems to work great so far.

I'd recommend incense burning to anyone who is looking to relax a bit. The session was really nice. I bought a package of 25 Indian varieties that all smell amazing.

I'd recommend incense burning to anyone who is looking to relax a bit.
Peh.

Not gonna do.
In my case, nothing beats a roll of pot.

I burn incense frequently as well. It's quite nice and relaxing plus it happens to be much cheaper than pot. :p

Errrr, you're buying it?
Peh.

Plant your own!

The only advice I could give is this : Close the doors.

I sometimes use incense during the Christmas days - it surely adds a "special note" to it. :)

My problems are rather with how to get it burning in the first place, because the coal I used was usually *very* smokey ...

I vote for incense AND pot.

I burn incense while on the pot :p

crpgnut proud sponsor of TMI

If you think that you can burn something and not have the smell permeate everything in the house ... you are probably 'nose-blind'.

I was out running last weekend and a minivan passed me on the opposite side of the road - and since the temperature was ~20F (-6C) all the windows were closed ... but I had no question that they were smoking ... ack.

Actually, I must be getting really lucky, because I've been burning it a lot and the smell hasn't left my room! I put a towel under the door but my carpeting is so close to the door's bottom that it really doesn't matter. My door overall is pretty air-tight, so I guess that helps a lot. So far, so good. :)

Actually, I must be getting really lucky, because I've been burning it a lot and the smell hasn't left my room! I put a towel under the door but my carpeting is so close to the door's bottom that it really doesn't matter. My door overall is pretty air-tight, so I guess that helps a lot. So far, so good. :)

I am sure that all of those steps have greatly reduced things, but I am not sure the reason for the initial inquiry - was it the complaints of others? I know that many have an intolerance for smoking things including incense, etc ... which triggers headaches, migraines, etc.

So what I am saying is that if it is due to a trigger ... good luck. Just like a smoker has no idea how atrocious they smell or how their stench is more like a 50-foot trail as they walk even when not smoking, so too do I firmly believe that someone who is never around smoke / incense would walk into the general area of your room and immediately know.

Simply put, my dad (who stays in the room next to mine), doesn't care much for incense smoke. In the last place we lived, if I burned a stick you could smell it throughout the entire upstairs. I decided to try again in our new house, just to see if I could make it work without upsetting him. Surprisingly, he says the smell has not entered his room and you can't even smell it in the hallway at all! So, I'm happy about that, obviously :)

As for it gunking up a PC, it probably can, although the sticks I'm burning are very high quality, and I'm only burning a stick or two a day maximum, so I'm not sure it's going to matter much. I will keep the room somewhat ventilated and perhaps consider covering my laptop when I burn one, though, just to be safe ;)

Simply put, my dad (who stays in the room next to mine), doesn't care much for incense smoke. In the last place we lived, if I burned a stick you could smell it throughout the entire upstairs. I decided to try again in our new house, just to see if I could make it work without upsetting him. Surprisingly, he says the smell has not entered his room and you can't even smell it in the hallway at all! So, I'm happy about that, obviously :)

Awesome! That is why I asked :)

I'm wondering if this will gunk up the inside of a pc

Incense inside of the PC ? To "smoke out" / drive away all of the evil kobolds, fairies, bugs, ghosts, wraiths ... Oh, wait ...

Just ask your dad to notify you if he ever smells it - you will undoubtedly become accustomed to the smell too much to pick it up in trace amounts.

Back
Top Bottom