Upgrading CPU to Ryzen 2700x

My question is why upgrade. Are you noticing issue with games being cpu bound ?
-
Also the 4690 is a few generation old (not that much slower than current i5); but chances are finding a cpu that fits that mb are not good (unless you feel comfortable on the used market).

Hey, just curious if it will plug into the same slot seamlessly as my i5 4690 cpu currently occupies? Do I have to get a new motherboard or will it just pop right in?

The PSU is borderline given the model and 1080TI which is a bit power hungry under load. I mean don't take me wrong it has a lovely name being a heavy duty tough psu but names don't do much for performance. You might be able to find an i7 on the use market and it shouldn't be too expensive; but you would have to make sure it is from a reliable person or they might send one that they burned out trying to overclock.
-
You want an i7-4790 (or i7-4790k if your mb supports);
why you want an I9 i have no clue; perhaps because it sounds nifty but to be honest I think you are throwing your money away - it is your money but still... you could by an i5 and donate the extra to your local red cross.

This is my current build

Computer Case : Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case
Power Supply Upgrade : 550W Heavy Duty TOUGH Series SATA Power Supply
Motherboard : Asus H81M Series Intel H81/ DDR3/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ MicroATX
DDR3 Memory : 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3-1333/1600 PC3-10666/12800
Processor : Intel Core i5 4670 3.4GHz Quad Core 6MB
CPU Cooling Fan : Cooler Master Hyper T2 CPU Fan For Intel & AMD Processors
SSD : Kingston SSD 240 GB SATA3 Solid State Drive
Sound Card : 8-Channel Digital Sound Card (onboard)
Network Card : 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)

plus several 2 TB hard drives, a 1080ti GPU and an Emu 1212m soundcard.

Depends on the specific cpu - an I9 which is not the same as a 9th gen - can eat a lot of power depending on specific model. 750 watts should be fine but really that is one bottom line piece of trash psu. I mean for a $500 dollar system it is probably fine but you want to buy over 1K of equipment (cpu/gpu/ram) and trust it to that piece of trash?
-
I usually start backwards and pick a quality psu and then pick components around it because if the psu sucks well i can forget the rest of the system.
-
That psu goes for around $70 - and if htat is all you want to spend - try this one (i wuold pick something better but it would cost more):

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438054
-
Mind you it isn't a great psu but it is a decent one and only $70. It is 650 watt so if you go with a fancy 100 core i9 super duper you might need to increase the wattage.
-

Ok, so how would this build look?

Intel 8th / 9th Gen. Ultimate Custom Gaming PC System
Computer Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Case Fan: 120mm Ball Bearing Case Fan
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390 GAMING LGA1151/ Intel Z390/ DDR4/ Quad-GPU CrossFireX & Quad-GPU SLI/ SATA3&USB3.1/ M.2/ A&GbE/ ATX
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake Processor 3.6GHz 8.0GT/s 16MB LGA 1151 CPU
CPU Cooling Fan: Corsair Hydro Series H50-60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory: 16GB Hyper-X DDR4-2800/3000
M.2 SSD: 250GB WD M.2 2280 Internal SSD Solid State Drive
Video card: Integrated HD Video Card DVI, SVGA, HDMI, 2x Monitor Support (onboard)
Sound Card: High Definition Audio with High Quality Audio Capacitors (onboard)
Network Card: 100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
Warranty: Assembled and tested, 3 years parts and 3 Year labor warranty

of course I'd pop in my 1080ti, another SSD and a few regular HDDs, and my Emu 1212m soundcard.

I dunno, I just want to get the best I can afford right now and not have to worry about upgrading as much later. It came from wanting to upgrade my CPU, which does become a limit I've noticed already in games like FFXV, and I'm trying to build a VR capable machine with some headroom. I will be playing stuff like Skyrim VR heavily modded and what not so I want to be safe. Why do you say the Thermaltake 750w is trash? I can get an 850w for $30 extra in the build, do you think I should do that?

And since my case sucks and motherboard is terrible I might as well just upgrade the whole thing, which is why I'm going to have it built to my specs but then pop my premium parts into it when it arrives. The old computer will just go to a family member (the one with the i5 cpu).

Ther's nothing wrong with that PSU, unless you're trying hard to be an elitist.

Sure, it's not the 80 PLUS Gold certified like the EVGA recommended by "you", but it's not crap. Incidentally, the Toughpower 80 PLUS Gold certified Thermaltake is about almost the same price over this part of the world as the equivalent 750W EVGA 80 PLUS Gold. I don't think there's much difference in brand quality there.

It's decent enough. You could do a LOT worse, and people (ME! lol) have done a lot worse with no issues.

I dunno, I just want to get the best I can afford right now and not have to worry about upgrading as much later. It came from wanting to upgrade my CPU, which does become a limit I've noticed already in games like FFXV, and I'm trying to build a VR capable machine with some headroom. I will be playing stuff like Skyrim VR heavily modded and what not so I want to be safe. Why do you say the Thermaltake 750w is trash? I can get an 850w for $30 extra in the build, do you think I should do that?

And since my case sucks and motherboard is terrible I might as well just upgrade the whole thing, which is why I'm going to have it built to my specs but then pop my premium parts into it when it arrives. The old computer will just go to a family member (the one with the i5 cpu).

Yeah fluent, listen to @you;, get an i5 and donate the rest of the money. As a matter of fact don’t get anything. Give all the money to charity, then sell your current computer and donate that. Dont stop there give any money you make that you don’t need for food, clothing and shelter to charity as well. So easy to be altruistic with others lives and money. :lol:

Or buy what you want. You want an i9 9900 then get it. Games are going to start using more cores, they already have. When new consoles come out with even more cores then PCs will need to follow suit.

It is true that if you're playing games today at 1440p or higher even 1080p in many case you’re not going to see much difference in cpu performance because games are gpu limited. So what you need to do is find benchmarks that aren’t gpu limited. This is achieved by either lowering resolution or game settings. When you go down to 720p or set a game to low settings you aren’t gpu limited then and can see the difference the cpus make. As is shown here.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/first-third-party-gaming-benchmarks-released-for-the-intel-core-i9-9900k-and-intel-core-i7-9700k/

If you look at the f1 benchmark You’re see that there actually almost 70fps difference between the 4790 cpu you were told you need and the 9900. That’s a huge difference. You’re not going to run at 720p or low setting though, so why do these benchmarks matter? They matter because they help you see how much better the cpus will be when future video cards are released and the cpu has room to scale with the gpu. It does look like hyperthreading doesn’t help at all and may even hurt as the i7 7900 bests the 9900. So you could save a little there if you want.

Imo, there’s no such thing as overkill when it comes to building a pc. no matter how fast you build it it will be too slow eventually. If you save money now you’ll ll need to upgrade sooner. Beside if you buy the 9900 or 9700 and don’t need it you be a some cash and have a cpu that way overpowered and lasts you for several years. Oh , the horror. ;)

Can’t help you with wether or not your setup will run skyrim from with mods as I have the gpu and vr headset but not the game. However I would think it would. You can always just add mods one at a time until you hit your target FPS.

I said it suck due to the quality not wattage. Look for the rated wattage and price point it isn't a horrible psu; but it tends to use cheaper parts and has less ripple suppression than the better psu. Then we can look at the warranty. This one is a bit better than the previous low-end 750 they offered by upping the warranty to 5 years (from 3) but most of the psu i buy have 8 to 12 years (mind you warranties on psu aren't that great because they don't cover shipping - if you have to ship one be sure to use usps flat rate boxes - great savings. When I build a pc i have to worry about faulty ram and other crap - i just don't want to worry about the psu but for you this psu is probably fine so don't sweat it.
-
I'll add this that even the best built psu can fail catastrophically so there is always a luck of the draw deal here.
-
Btw be sure to check your ram for parity errors on your new builds - parts are just not as good as they used to be.

Yeah fluent, listen to @you;, get an i5 and donate the rest of the money. As a matter of fact don’t get anything. Give all the money to charity, then sell your current computer and donate that. Dont stop there give any money you make that you don’t need for food, clothing and shelter to charity as well. So easy to be altruistic with others lives and money. :lol:

Or buy what you want. You want an i9 9900 then get it. Games are going to start using more cores, they already have. When new consoles come out with even more cores then PCs will need to follow suit.

It is true that if you're playing games today at 1440p or higher even 1080p in many case you’re not going to see much difference in cpu performance because games are gpu limited. So what you need to do is find benchmarks that aren’t gpu limited. This is achieved by either lowering resolution or game settings. When you go down to 720p or set a game to low settings you aren’t gpu limited then and can see the difference the cpus make. As is shown here.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/first-third-party-gaming-benchmarks-released-for-the-intel-core-i9-9900k-and-intel-core-i7-9700k/

If you look at the f1 benchmark You’re see that there actually almost 70fps difference between the 4790 cpu you were told you need and the 9900. That’s a huge difference. You’re not going to run at 720p or low setting though, so why do these benchmarks matter? They matter because they help you see how much better the cpus will be when future video cards are released and the cpu has room to scale with the gpu. It does look like hyperthreading doesn’t help at all and may even hurt as the i7 7900 bests the 9900. So you could save a little there if you want.

Imo, there’s no such thing as overkill when it comes to building a pc. no matter how fast you build it it will be too slow eventually. If you save money now you’ll ll need to upgrade sooner. Beside if you buy the 9900 or 9700 and don’t need it you be a some cash and have a cpu that way overpowered and lasts you for several years. Oh , the horror. ;)

Can’t help you with wether or not your setup will run skyrim from with mods as I have the gpu and vr headset but not the game. However I would think it would. You can always just add mods one at a time until you hit your target FPS.

I'll probably spend the extra $30 and get the 850w power supply to be safe. @sakichop;, Do you really think the i7 7900 is worth it over the 9900? The difference is $150, do you think there will eventually be that much of a difference in the overall quality? $150 is a nice savings but I'm wondering if like you said down the line the hyperthreading and other features might start being used more games.

I'll probably spend the extra $30 and get the 850w power supply to be safe. @sakichop;, Do you really think the i7 7900 is worth it over the 9900? The difference is $150, do you think there will eventually be that much of a difference in the overall quality? $150 is a nice savings but I'm wondering if like you said down the line the hyperthreading and other features might start being used more games.

Can’t really say. If I had to guess Id say, consoles still largely dictate game development. So unless consoles start using 16 cores it probably won’t matter.

I’m also not sure if the extra cores would help with vr so that’s something you might want to do a google search on.

As for 7900 vs 9900? Well, I still haven’t decided myself but those benchmarks I provided above are hard to ignore.

Can’t really say. If I had to guess Id say, consoles still largely dictate game development. So unless consoles start using 16 cores it probably won’t matter.

I’m also not sure if the extra cores would help with vr so that’s something you might want to do a google search on.

As for 7900 vs 9900? Well, I still haven’t decided myself but those benchmarks I provided above are hard to ignore.

Seems that VR relies on a strong single thread/core or whatever, but future games obviously will get more complex. The benchmarks you provided are pretty close, it's a tough decision for $150. I can add another SSD instead strictly for games but can't really add both as it's slightly above my current budget. An M.2 SSD at that (whatever that is, I assume it's good :p).

Well if it’s 7900 and as ssd or 9900 and no ssd, I’d go 7900. Yes, m.2 is about 4-5 times faster than a standard ssd.

I have my os on an m.2 ssd and put all my games on Sata ssd’s.

Well if it’s 7900 and as ssd or 9900 and no ssd, I’d go 7900. Yes, m.2 is about 4-5 times faster than a standard ssd.

I have my os on an m.2 ssd and put all my games on Sata ssd’s.

Well it gets tricky, because I'm keeping my 250 gb SSD I already have as my Windows 10 drive, so the M.2 would be the secondary SSD for games. Is there a way to switch the OS to the M.2 drive in an easy way once I get both drives?

Well it gets tricky, because I'm keeping my 250 gb SSD I already have as my Windows 10 drive, so the M.2 would be the secondary SSD for games. Is there a way to switch the OS to the M.2 drive in an easy way once I get both drives?

When you get a new motherboard and processor I highly recommend doing a clean install of windows.

When you get a new motherboard and processor I highly recommend doing a clean install of windows.

Hmm. How would I do that then and keep all my files on my current SSD? I don't want to buy Windows 10 again, I already own it, so how do I install it on the M.2 SSD then and make that my primary drive?

I assume you have win 10 on usb stick. Just format your drive, boot to the usb stick and install. There’s really too many steps to tell you exactly how to do it. A quick google search though and you will find detailed how tos and you tube videos that will walk you through it.

I don't have it on a USB stick. Should I just buy one and how do I then transfer it to the USB stick (and how many GB stick do I need?) If it's too much of a hassle I'll just have them add Windows 10 for $100 to make things easy, unless I can save some money doing it the USB stick way (I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 when it was free, so not sure if I can install it again).

Ah, I see.

Yeah if you haven’t built or install a new OS it might be better to let them put win 10 on it. I would ask them if they give you a physical copy ( not just a copy on a partition of the Ssd) of win 10 so you can reinstall down the road if you wish to.

Also I assume your not actually getting a 2070 your going to use your 1080ti.

Ah, I see.

Yeah if you haven’t built or install a new OS it might be better to let them put win 10 on it. I would ask them if they give you a physical copy ( not just a copy on a partition of the Ssd) of win 10 so you can reinstall down the road if you wish to.

Also I assume your not actually getting a 2070 your going to use your 1080ti.

Yep. And I'll add my Emu 1212m soundcard and various sata HDDs. I'll have them install it then. Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom