Personal things you don't need to know

Ugh. Nor much fun, I’ve 95% left and 90% occlusion on right c1 & c2 foramen. Only numbness so far so pilates to strengthen Supporting muscles etc.

The joys of age being written from hospital bed recovering from A revision of a right medial hemisphere metal Knee ta full total knee replacement

Ouch ! Get better soon !

Gee, you live in Melb; I thought that would be torture enough, especially with your Premiers attitude to freedom!! :)

Gee, you live in Melb; I thought that would be torture enough, especially with your Premiers attitude to freedom!! :)

Yeah, right! I actually survived 4 years in Brisbane during the Joe the peanut farmer ’year's of freedom’. And why would the minister of police also be the minister of gaming?? No conflict of interest there...

Beside Queensland now has too many people from NSW and VIC.

Although I enjoyed watching the hockey at the Gold Coast Commonwealth games.

Yeah, right! I actually survived 4 years in Brisbane during the Joe the peanut farmer ’year's of freedom’. And why would the minister of police also be the minister of gaming?? No conflict of interest there…

Beside Queensland now has too many people from NSW and VIC.

Although I enjoyed watching the hockey at the Gold Coast Commonwealth games.

Nah, didn't you hear, we kicked out all those furriners and closed our borders!! :) And what's wrong with peanuts? Someone has to grow them!! :D

Nah, didn't you hear, we kicked out all those furriners and closed our borders!! :) And what's wrong with peanuts? Someone has to grow them!! :D

Well, the furthest north I have lived in our better southern hemisphere was Port Moresby and probably the hottest was Woomera.

No spinal anomalies or knee replacements to report from here. I hope you get better, Watchers. Or at least, that things don't get any worse.

Yesterday something happened and it's still on my mind. Just as background, I live in Egypt with my family and things don't exactly work the same way here as they do back in America. So I was sitting in my apartment's living room and I saw something drop past the window and I heard a loud clang. My daughter and I ran out to the balcony and looked down and we saw a cat twitching on the ground. It stopped twitching, and I told my daughter that the cat died, and she started crying. And then the other kids ran out to see what was wrong.

I told the kids to come inside, but they wouldn't listen and they all ran out to the balcony to cry over the dead cat. I went to ask the building's maintenance guy to get rid of the cat. But it turns out the cat was still alive. Its back was broken and it couldn't move its back legs. It tried struggling up onto its front legs, but I think its front legs were broken. The maintenance guy didn't want to go near it. He said he would get rid of it when it dies.

I had no idea how long that would be and I didn't want the cat suffering and I didn't want my kids watching it. So I got a cardboard box and a plastic trash bag. I put the cat in the box, went into the parking garage, and sealed up the box in the plastic bag. I didn't know how much air was in the bag, but I hoped that asphyxiation would be a kinder death than starvation. I set the box out by the trash.

This morning I went for my daily jog. And I saw the dead cat lying half out of the box that it apparently clawed its way out of.

Sorry to give all of you those mental images. It has just been on my mind and I'm not having PTSD or anything but I just wanted to tell someone.

No spinal anomalies or knee replacements to report from here. I hope you get better, Watchers. Or at least, that things don't get any worse.

Yesterday something happened and it's still on my mind. Just as background, I live in Egypt with my family and things don't exactly work the same way here as they do back in America. So I was sitting in my apartment's living room and I saw something drop past the window and I heard a loud clang. My daughter and I ran out to the balcony and looked down and we saw a cat twitching on the ground. It stopped twitching, and I told my daughter that the cat died, and she started crying. And then the other kids ran out to see what was wrong.

I told the kids to come inside, but they wouldn't listen and they all ran out to the balcony to cry over the dead cat. I went to ask the building's maintenance guy to get rid of the cat. But it turns out the cat was still alive. Its back was broken and it couldn't move its back legs. It tried struggling up onto its front legs, but I think its front legs were broken. The maintenance guy didn't want to go near it. He said he would get rid of it when it dies.

I had no idea how long that would be and I didn't want the cat suffering and I didn't want my kids watching it. So I got a cardboard box and a plastic trash bag. I put the cat in the box, went into the parking garage, and sealed up the box in the plastic bag. I didn't know how much air was in the bag, but I hoped that asphyxiation would be a kinder death than starvation. I set the box out by the trash.

This morning I went for my daily jog. And I saw the dead cat lying half out of the box that it apparently clawed its way out of.

Sorry to give all of you those mental images. It has just been on my mind and I'm not having PTSD or anything but I just wanted to tell someone.
Damn that's just wow…just have no words to say. :wideeyed:

Is the city under lock-down where you live in Egypt? Was there no way to get the cat to a vet? Hope your kids aren't to traumatized. You as well this stuff is traumatizing.

Ouch. Just ouch.

a pibbur who likes cats.

PS. I liked the post, not because I like what happened, but because I appreciate you telling us about this. DS

Is the city under lock-down where you live in Egypt? …

From Worldometers it seems that Egypt, along with South Africa are countries where the infection is spreading very fast.

a pibbur who would like to go to Egypt for archeology reasons, but who won't go to Egypt no matter what. Not beacuse of Covid or dying cats, but because of the heat. Anything above 20 C (297K)…yeeeech. And probably too little rain.

Damn that's just wow…just have no words to say. :wideeyed:

Is the city under lock-down where you live in Egypt? Was there no way to get the cat to a vet? Hope your kids aren't to traumatized. You as well this stuff is traumatizing.
Cairo is under curfew. No one out after 8:00 PM and non-essential businesses are supposed to be closed. This happened in the evening and I don't think we could have gotten it to a vet and I don't know that there was really anything a vet could have done for the cat except maybe euthanize it.

My kids seem to be OK today. Yesterday they were pretty shaken up. I'm fine. Maybe just a little unsettled, but fine. Thanks.

It's kind of unfortunate that my kids have been introduced to death from stuff like that here. There are lots of stray cats and dogs around our neighborhood. And my kids have gotten attached to lots of kittens and a lot of them ended up dead, and a lot of others we don't know what happened to them.

Although we would be the same family wherever in the world we go, our kids' experiences are still shaped a LOT by where they are. My wife really likes living here. I think I'm ready to trade it in and move back to the American suburbs, or at least some place new. We'll see.

From Worldometers it seems that Egypt, along with South Africa are countries where the infection is spreading very fast.

a pibbur who would like to go to Egypt for archeology reasons, but who won't go to Egypt no matter what. Not beacuse of Covid or dying cats, but because of the heat. Anything above 20 C (297K)…yeeeech. And probably too little rain.

Yeah, we've been pretty lucky with COVID so far. We literally don't know anyone who has it. But we're kind of vaguely aware that it's spreading here. At first we didn't think Egypt would get hit too hard. It has a very young population, and the weather is hot and dry and not conducive to spreading respiratory viruses. The country shut down for Eid at the end of Ramadan last week. The government declared a 7-day holiday instead of the usual 3. Hopefully that slowed it down some.

The weather here has been pretty nice considering it's Egypt. We've had cool mornings and highs of around 30 C. In a couple of months the highs will probably be over 40.

My wife likes it here though, for lots of reasons. And she does like hot weather. I always prefer cold. I could be freezing to death and I would still tell myself "At least I'm not too hot."

@Nathaniel3W;

Sorry to hear about that experience, and I think it is important to talk about it, even if it's only with strangers online (sometimes I think that's actually quite a good initial option if you can find a sane space online, as it can be that bit easier than addressing it in person.)

In the absence of a vet, you did your best to end its suffering quickly, which I think is all you can do. I think, unfortunately, that sometimes a violent method is the only way to ensure swiftness, but not everyone should cross that line.

Yeah, take a big rock and end it in one strike.
It's not nice but it's quick.

Last edited:
Here, people would rather go to a Veterinarian, but on the other hand, we have a different culture here.

My parents came home from a short vacation. First thing they do is clean the garten etc. … When I came home from work and visited them (both are getting older), I found a dead salamander or something similar on their second terrace there. It wasn't dead not for long, and the intense summer heat must have dried it to death. Nearby was a container which had had a tiny bit of water preserved through the heat, it was now empty.
I have rarely personally lived to see more unempathy, unsensitive peoiple than my parents.
That salamander must have been from the not too far away wood (it has a tiny river in it) or maybe someone in the gardens around has a pool, I don't know.
I just cannot understand how they could not have seen that animal.

Back
Top Bottom