Neverwinter Nights: EE - Plans and more

Oh gawd the Beamdog complainers are back. Why not just start a thread called RPGUnwatch?
We would not complain if they would rename their cash grabs SEE instead of EE.
SEE means Slightly Enhanced Edition.

All of the games they've done up to now have profited from extra content. Extra character building options, extra companions, et. That's in addition to improved resolutions, graphics, U.I., et. We've heard some people have problems running NWN without it crashing. For them a new version makes sense. Also for people who want to play on tablet. It just seems feature poor in comparison to the other EEs they've done. Hopefully there will be more to it then just what they've revealed.

They are going to do a lot more with this specific EE. The Advisory Board, which is a select group of people from the NWN community, will set their direction on features to add. They plan to continually work on this game, patching the game frequently, adding features, improvements and even content over time. They are taking feature suggestions right now on their forum, and will actually discuss and implement ones that they agree on. They also have a separate team working on this EE than on the Infinity Engine projects.

What's already there is:

Advanced resolution support with UI scaling.
A few enhanced graphics options.
Re-vamped multiplayer support.
Tweaks made to the tools that were requested by the community.

And that's about it so far. Oh, and no Android or mobile version is planned yet, which I'm disappointed by and I hope they change their mind on later. Imagine having the world of NWN modules at your fingertips on a nice tablet! While BG, IWD, PS:T et. al are nice to have on tablet, none can compare to the sheer wealth of modules and D&D goodness that NWN offers.

Going forward we could see features like:

Quickloot bar.
Advanced spell bars and further UI tweaks.
Tilesets and other content made by Beamdog.
More graphics enhancement options.
And whatever else they decide to focus on and implement from the community suggestions.

I believe they went this route in order to involve the community much more. Since NWN's mod community thrived, they wanted to actively involve them in how they add new features.

They're taking suggestions for every facet of the game right now on their forum - https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/nwn-general-discussions

And here is the main set of forums that will house the game and community stuff - https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/neverwinter-nights

We would not complain if they would rename their cash grabs SEE instead of EE.
SEE means Slightly Enhanced Edition.

"Hey guys! I don't like Beamdog. I hate Beamdog. Cashgrab guys. Beamdog is what I hate. BTW I don't like Beamdog. Did you hear me? I said they're a cashgrab. Oh on an unrelated note, I don't like Beamdog. Everyone? Here let me set aside this time to write 20 posts on how I don't like Beamdog."

Excessive emote award goes to NewDArt for his constant winky face. May his semicolon and zero key live long and prosper. It's his version of this:

xgz9nkR.gif

Merry Beamdog Thread, everyone!

Beamdog is alright but it would take a much bigger developer to give NWN3 the attention it deserves.

I'd like to see them work on more expansions like Siege of Dragonspear. Even if I found a user mod which added 50 new areas to BG2 I'd be interested in it.

I haven't played Siege of Dragonspear, btw.

Beamdog is alright but it would take a much bigger developer to give NWN3 the attention it deserves.

NWN = Excellent engine and toolkit for it's generation, and mods are great to play even today, but almost 20 years later, graphics and physics are limiting

NWN2 = Much prettier, but interface and controls leave something to be desired

NWN3 = Just give us NWN in a new engine. Unity would be an excellent fit.

Sounds like you need a hug again Caddy ;)

I don't find graphics in NWN that bad, in fact I much prefer it over NWN2 graphics. Some of the face animations during the cut scene in NWN2 really freaks me out...

Sounds like you need a hug again Caddy ;)

I don't find graphics in NWN that bad, in fact I much prefer it over NWN2 graphics. Some of the face animations during the cut scene in NWN2 really freaks me out…

Aw those freaky face animations were the best part! NWN2 was a horror comedy right?

As shameless a cashgrab as this may (definitely) be, my one hope is that it rekindles some interest in module creation. I still play NWN mods, and I'm still certain there's some good ones to be found.

One bit of good news is that the creator of the (unfinished) Sanctum of the Archmage modules is considering actually finishing / releasing the next chapter in his series in large part because of the EE.

Aielund Saga creator is apparently considering doing an EE update for his series, too.

Now I just hope Fester Pot releases Fate of the Auren someday.

I know it’s fun to just spam cash grab in every beamdog thread, but a serious question, does anyone know how much money they are actually grabbing?

steam and gog take 30% off the top, then I assume there’s licensing fees or royalties for the rights to the game, labor, insurance, rent, etc, etc. Then I would think many people do what I do and wait for it to hit $10 or less to buy it or get it at some discount.

Has there ever been any sales figures released as to how much money they make off these?

I’m sure if we ask them, they’re just barely staying afloat ;)

I’m sure thier not starving but I don’t think thier sitting in thier offices surrounded by bags of money laughing evilly either.

After all thier enhancing 20 year old niche games not gta’s or call of duty games.

No matter, I was just curious if anyone knew any actual sales figures. A quick google search turn up nothing.

I've been to the Beamdog office, my office in a quiet bank almost twenty years ago was far more opulent. I seriously doubt they are raking in huge revenues, and I bet they pay decent salaries to boot.

Cute :)

About cash grabbing, the concept is, yet again, not about how much money you're making on something. It's about selling something for more than it's worth - which, yet again, will depend on your own subjective point of view.

To me, there are two sides to this. One is how much effort was involved in creating the product on the part of the seller (including how much they might have paid to acquire the rights) - and second is how much the product is worth to me, personally. That's how I estimate value. Based on my personal perception of those two aspects of any product.

Sometimes, I don't care and I pay stupid amounts of money for stuff I just happen to want - but that doesn't mean I can't call a cash grab a cash grab. It's not a complaint or a result of entitlement - it's a statement of opinion made because it's true. True to me, that is.

I know they don't teach this in greed school - but not everyone thinks that whatever the market will hold is a fair price :)

If I had a problem with people earning tons of money for a limited amount of work - I could never buy a burger at McDonald's - or a game published by EA.

I don't really fret about it much - I just like to stay focused on what is and what isn't.

I don't need to believe that everything I do is "right" or fair - which is why I don't need to create all these illusions about how supply and demand is all that matters.

If I had any interest in these absolutely minimal enhancements - I'd buy the game without a second thought. But it would still be a cash grab and I'd know it.

Back
Top Bottom