Worlds of Magic - PC Version Gone Gold

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Wastelands Interactive sent out a press release with information the PC version of Worlds of Magic has gone gold, and talks about the PS4 console version.

Worlds of Magic PC Version Gone Gold, PS4 version Announced

Worlds of Magic - a 4X turn-based strategy game from Wastelands Interactive has just reached the Gold Master status on PC platform and developers announced that the game will also be released on PlayStation 4

February 19th, Lodz, Poland - Exactly a month before the planned release date on PC Worlds of Magic – a 4X turn-based strategy game being the true spiritual successor of classic Master of Magic, has reached the Gold Master status on PC. That’s an excellent news for all fans of the game who will finally be able to purchase it’s final version on March 19th this year. But developers don’t forget about gamers owning PlayStation 4 console and confirming that the game will also be released on this platform in Q3 2015.

You can buy the PC version of the game now via Steam Early Access visiting Worlds of Magic product page HERE or you can also support developers directly and buy the game from their store HERE.

Worlds of Magic will be the first 4X game ever released on PS4 console and developers confirm that there will be no changes in content or features comparing this version to the PC one. The PS4 version will be released by a Polish publisher Teyon: http://www.teyon.com
More information.

Interested but that forty dollars is hard to swallow. I must be getting spoiled.

I'm glad I backed it when it was only $20.:)

I agree about getting spoiled though as to many bundles, and other sales are released nowadays. I no longer feel the need to pay $60 for most PC games.

Last edited:
Yeah it's "gone gold" but like other 4X games it will need months of patches to even play decently.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265970/

This game is being created in the image of a classic from the 90's called Master of Magic, or MoM for short. In its current state, if offers significantly less than MoM in terms of content, a user friendly UI, tooltips/descriptions, AI, game balance, and game stability.

I do not see this game being anywhere near completion by its official release date. In fact, I would say it needs another 6 months of work at least. Now I'll explain each shortcoming individually.

Content - Worlds of Magic has less to offer in races, artifacts (I assume more customization options are in the works), and world monsters. In general, there is also simply less to do in each turn (early game especially). You will find yourself hitting end turn a dozen times in a row, because there was litterally nothing to do that turn.

User Interface - The menu/information system in this game needs a major overhaul. No one wants to have to page through multiple tabs on EVERY unit just to find out what their basic abilities are. They need to condense the menus so that they no longer have tabs. Those who have played the origional Master of Magic will understand what I'm talking about, as all the pertinent information on any given thing in that game was easily gleaned at a quick glance. A graph-like layout would be prefered, and less… chaotic.

Tooltips/Descriptions - The number of missing tooltips and descriptions in this game astounds me. Lets say you are creating your own leader and want to pick out spells for them, well the spell descriptions don't even list what their mana upkeep is. As your fame grows, you will get offers to hire X hero for Y price, but they tell you NOTHING about that hero. How could you possibly know if they are worth hiring?

AI - The AI in this game is extremely weak at best. To the point where the AI oponents will fill their city with a dozen beginner troops and then sit and do NOTHING with them. They will not build more buildings, will not explore, will not sail to other islands etc. The AI in combat is not much better.

Game Balance - Races in this game are not balanced, especially with regard to the undead. Undead use negative energy instead of food, however negative energy is the upkeep for troops AND buildings. And there are no "farm" type buildings to produce negative energy. Shrines give you a % increase, but it is not sufficient. How can anyone hope to "feed" an army as undead. If there is a way around this, please tell me.

Game Stability - Game lockups, units unable to move unless you fortify them and then "unfortify" them, clicking to end turn and the next turn never starts etc. Thank god for auto save or this game would be unplayable.

Now I realize this game is not yet released, but it still has a LONG way to go, and in my opinion should not even be in Beta yet. All that being said, I do enjoy playing it for the most part, but I would rather play the 20 year old game it is based off of. Had I not already paid for this game, I would not be playing it at all. In it's current state, I would says it's worth no more than $10.

I'll keep playing it as they release new patches/updates and likewise update this review as needed. Sorry for being long winded and thank you for reading.

Lol I knew it. No thanks.

This game will never come close to being as good as Master of Magic, simply because the original computer engineers who made it like Steve Barcia were extremely brilliant men.

I saw wait one more year, but you'll probably see then it's better to stick with Master of Magic + the fan patch.

I don't mind as I would not pay 40$ anyways. If I can get it patched and on Steam sale that is cool.
But I must say Endless Legend spoiled me with its slick UI and different factions, this game will need to step up a lot if I will even bother at all.

The game is not even remotely done. It reminds me of the epic release failure of Eador, Master of the Broken Worlds (one of the best games I have ever played, mind you). I was closely involved with the beta and for months the developers were saying to relax, the game would be ready by the release date… It shipped with a load of the most outrageous bugs, and it was completely destroyed by reviews. Since I loved the game so much, I spent months trying to defend it, especially since the developers were furiously patching the game. But the damage was done. This appears to be the same story. For months now people who love the game are trying to tell the developers that it is far from being ready. The developers respond to relax, the game will be ready. Stay clear for now unless you like the drama that will ensue.

Word of warning, the user 'humanity has risen' above is Ronnie Branch, who was banned from the WoM forums after spamming that very article he wrote on the forums there. Not once or twice, but in every thread on the forums. It got in the way of constructive discussion and in the end the devs had to ban the guy. He is self righteous (you can tell this from his overly-religious theme in his user accounts). Here he is doing his thing and comparing himself to 'Jesus who was impaled'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYyGsjaXWCM

Yes the game is still in development, yes the devs are improving AI. No, this does not entitle you to spam forums and paste the same stuff in everywhere. That's called trolling, kids.

trolls get banned.

Word of warning, the user 'humanity has risen' above is Ronnie Branch, who was banned from the WoM forums after spamming that very article he wrote on the forums there. Not once or twice, but in every thread on the forums. It got in the way of constructive discussion and in the end the devs had to ban the guy. He is self righteous (you can tell this from his overly-religious theme in his user accounts). Here he is doing his thing and comparing himself to 'Jesus who was impaled'.

Yes the game is still in development, yes the devs are improving AI. No, this does not entitle you to spam forums and paste the same stuff in everywhere. That's called trolling, kids.

trolls get banned.

I don't know about the official forums - and I can't say I care much.

But around here, people are entitled to their opinions - and they can post them freely.

I've got HHR on ignore, personally, because I don't enjoy exchanging with closed minds, but he's got plenty of good points about games, and he has experience.

It's rather tasteless to "reveal" his YT identity here - if that's indeed HHR, as it's a personal choice whether you want to be anonymous or not.

As for WoM, I really like the premise - and though it's more or less a complete MoM rip-off, I don't mind - as I love MoM and I'm dying for a modern version - but it's BY FAR not complete.

I think people need to be warned before investing in a game like that.

Crazy is crazy....

I have hopes for this one...I haven't played in awhile mind you. The devs are very motivated though so I'm not to worried.

wasn't MoM also very 'raw' at release? In that aspect, maybe these guys want to emulate the game on every aspect, including releasing it before it's ready :)

trolls get banned.

Sorry but with all due respect what are you even saying? I never posted on their forums or viewed them even once. I certainly didn't write these impressions either, I never played the game or bought it.

And that guy certainly is not me, I am Canadian French.

They'd do well to take care to make as good a release impression as they possibly can, historical 4X blunders withstanding. I hope it works out in the end, but they've got to stay aggressive on polish as seldom things are more prone to having the wheels fall off than games like this---and the results of it happening are terrible especially if something highly visible like the PS4. Indie games already operate under something of a stigma on the platform, so if they should trumpet one launching in bad shape...

This is a big problem with indie games, they need an influx of funding to keep going so at some point they just have to release a very incomplete game as a "gold" version. With 4x games which are just about the most complex genre this can have disastrous results as was the case with Eador.

They should probably delay the game some more, but I guess the financial side will not let them. As I recall the game only earned about $100,000 from two campaigns.

They have released new updates on Steam that try to fix the AI.

1. AI improvement - Diplomacy - build has been released
  2. Second AI beta update uploaded (2523M)
  3. Second AI update uploaded (2540:2541)
  4. Improving the AI and quality of life
I also had the chance to interview them last month.

Link- http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/worlds-of-magic-interview-283.html

At some point though when you're not a big name the Early Access purchases will dry up, and it is necessary to release a "final" version to generate more awareness and interest.

I'm glad I backed it when it was only $20.:)

I agree about getting spoiled though as to many bundles, and other sales are released nowadays. I no longer feel the need to pay $60 for most PC games.

I backed the original UK KS, just £9 for that one! I rarely pay above $20 or so these days. :)

Daniel.

wasn't MoM also very 'raw' at release? In that aspect, maybe these guys want to emulate the game on every aspect, including releasing it before it's ready :)

That would be an understatement! Even the final version of MoM never quite managed to come up with a working AI or any semblance of game balance, but the release version had far more serious problems.

trolls get banned.

Hmmm, Mr. 1 post.
I saw nothing disruptive or self righteous in his post here at the Watch. And just what is wrong with a wait awhile to buy suggestion? Sounds like good advise to me.

My spidey senses are tingling . . . .

Back
Top Bottom