Return of the Daily Smile

I wonder…, do you guys who live in hot areas, Corwin and Steven Peeler, have airconditioning in your homes and workplace, (small) shops, restaurants and bars?

I agreee with @Corwin;. I’m in Melbourne and most businesses, small & large, have some a/c, still uncommon in homes, particularly older. For example where we live most house on the streeet block are 130+ years old and limited if any a/c. Also hard to install, bricks get powdery after that many years

Thanks for all your replies. I now understand why you have little trouble facing the heat. :)

Because we are used to a moderate climate schools, many small shops/offices, many factories, especially those built before 1990, most (large) distribution halls, some homes for the elderly, the cars before 2005 that were not that luxurious, practically all of the churches and houses do not have airconditioning. Ceiling fans are even more rare.

Unlike the south of Europe our houses have big glass windows without shutters, same goes for our bedrooms. In the South of Europe the houses are often white, our houses are usually made of red brick with red or black tiled roofs.
Most businesses have the same big transparent windows, meaning they are not dark or with a layer that reflects sunlight., but they do often have sun screens.

So it is getting hard here for lots of people to have to work, study, eat and live in daytime temps > 27 C (80.6F) for weeks. In my region > 30C (86F).

Portable fans are practically sold out. Only the expensive ones that cost 300 euro ($347) or more (Dyson cooling towers and fans) are easily available.

Do pity us. :)

Last edited:
Here, the summer is so dry like really seldoim. All grass is brown, trees begin to die, it is really beginning to frighten me. Temperatures are around 30 degrees Celsius for a long time, and spikes of 36 degrees aren't that seldom anymore.
It is really shattering to see so many dead bushes and trees out there. :(

Most people don't have air conditioning in their houses. Normally, it's just´not needed.
Only bureaus and offices have that.

People will remember this super-hot summer here for a very long time.

And what's *really* frightening me is the prospect that we might have more of these summers in the future due to The Climate Change ... :(

Indeed, everywhere you look, here in the southern part of The Netherlands: yellow grass. In the forests, parks, and fields. The first dead trees in the streets. Fish and frogs are dying because ponds and small streams have dried up. Larger lakes have been affected by blue-green algae that produce toxins and botulism. Birds die. People are advised not to take a dip or swim.
Some ecosystems are affected that much that they will not recover when rain returns.

Many farmers are forbidden to irrigate their lands. Crops die. For the water has to go to the dykes.

Remember, large parts of the Netherlands are below sea level. Without enough pressure from sweet water inlands salt water will be sucked in, through and beneath the dykes.
So the remaining water has to go to the rivers as well, otherwise the river flow will change and sea water will flow into the rivers, thereby making it possible that salt water (from the sea) will be sucked into the lands behind the dykes, thus ruining the lands for agriculture and nature for ages.
In the Netherlands we have a very large basin of sweet water (Ijsselmeer). The authorities are now supplying the rivers with water from the Ijsselmeer, pumping it forward, and closing sluices more often than usual for recreational boats and cargo ships, to make sure the water in the rivers stays sweet, that it does not become salt.

The asphalt (tarmac) is melting (we use a different kind of bitumen than in southern Europe.
Several municipalities have begun pouring out salt on the roads to make sure cars can still drive on it. Usually the salt is scattered in winter when it is raining and freezing at the same time. Now the salt helps against the melting of the bitumen.

Some typical Dutch houses that you’ll find in ever Dutch city and village.
Notice that the small windows are those of the bathroom, and that even the front door is often made of glass (so does the backdoor btw).

image-20150814-2585-5r6nzo.jpg

0355dd072685412c3fee2db6f60ae9f3.jpg

A house with back garden and living room facing the south has always been very popular and a huge selling point in the Netherlands for as long as there have been Dutch (and then the dining room is facing north). In these houses the master bedroom, on the first floor, is facing south as well.
I am glad my living room and bed room is facing north. :)

Last edited:
My cat when I'm at work.:biggrin:

tumblr_oy2zbfRnTA1rhz81io1_1280.jpg

I present the ……..
asshole.gif

So just fill in the blank for anyone even yourself.:biggrin:

Q. What is the biggest lie in the entire universe?
A. “I have read and agree to the Terms & Conditions.”

Don't know if I've posted this one before, but in case not:

"Would I Lie to You" is a British comedy show, with two teams, each member telling a story, with the other team trying to find out if it's fake news or not.

pibbur who still finds it hilarious.

"I was raised as an only child. Which really annoyed my sister."

pibbur who was a really good looking child, but then some bad guys came and replaced him.

And here we thought it was your sister who was the only child!! :)

I guess so did the sister. Hence being annoyed.

pibbur who has a sister who until he passed 60 never forgave him for being older than her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom