Gaming BS of the week

Sorry, there was no written article to link to.
It's about so called content creator program where if you don't praise the product you get ingame ban. In other words - censorship.

I can't bring myself to watch a video in which the Youtuber is dressed like the captain of the Love Boat.

My first guess was that he was banned from some Tropico game. It does look like a typical Tropico Dictator outfit, just see the Thumbnail for this Tropico 6 Video.

I honestly still do not know what game he was banned from. I assume some Star Wars mobile thingy.

That, along with deleting my Facebook account are two of the best things I did for my mental health.

I know where you're coming from, but with regards to the political youtubers, I find them very useful for catching up on the BS when it happens without having to necessarily endure the fake surreality of regular news shows. The regular news shows are sadly now spamming youtube making it very difficult to find actual opinions rather than sanitised diarrhoea.

And watching a cross-section of opinions is quite an enjoyable way to go about it, I find it only gets tedious if you always watch the same people banging the same drum day-in day-out.

A bit like here really ;) Hence why we all take little breaks here and there, but come back when we're in the mood again.

For example, While searching google for Avellone content I stumbled across an old youtuber I hadn't seen for a while: Angry Joe. Someone I think @joxer; used to link to quite regularly. Well it seems in the past few days 'some woman' has tried to MeToo him as well, only apparently with even more obvious disingenuity:

And apparently chess is now racist? This lady thinks not:

And apparently The Last of Us 2 devs wanted to compare their game to Schindler's List! ? ! ? ! LOL:

But it turns out it was just another generally average game:

And none of these are even really political channels per-se, it's just that the BS is so rampant at the moment as a whole in our society that it's fairly unavoidable.

But like I say, I'll probably dip out of it again for a bit and post here again for a bit, then somewhere else, then back to youtube, etc etc etc.

The last time I was checking out the daily BS on Youtube it was trying to find out how Woody Allen's latest movie is doing, which is not at all in America, but in the rest of the world it's been a huge lockdown hit. The 'hip' reviewers are bombing it, but, interestingly, virtually the only youtube vid about it at that point was a very positive one that has lots of positive comments:

And that's the kind of stuff that all keeps Youtube the great Youtube it can and should be, not just another portal for organised propaganda.

@lackblogger;:
A talking head is a talking head, doesn't matter if it is Youtube or CNN or Fox News. You are still watching/hearing an opinion of one person, or possibly a team of people. It's not really efficient at gauging the public opinion. There are forums, Reddit, news boards, etc. where you can have a glimpse at what other people think and engage them directly. Youtube videos are just not made for that.

A Youtuber might reply to few comments on their video, but not all. Compare that to a forum where the OP will usually engage with most of the people that reply. The trade-off is that a typical forum post doesn't get as much traffic as a Youtube video.

I treat Youtube as an entertainment only outlet, meaning the most serious content I watch there are game reviews. Followed by different kind of game analysis, science videos, tech and hardware/software videos, etc. If I start watching a video and it becomes apparent that the video is pushing some political idea, whether I agree with it or not, I stop. That line of thinking made me feel much better. Nowadays, if I want to read or hear anything political, I brace myself and go into it full aware of what I'm going to encounter.

I'm going to have to disagree about that. I think there's something fundamentally different between an individual's take on a topic and the relentlessly 'holier than though' inevitability of propaganda. Not to mention the restrictive nature of professional news outlets which almost demands they only ever show a political-party perspective rather than an individual's perspective. Even right down to the idea of what is news in the first place.

Like with my examples in the above post, each of those topics simply wouldn't be 'in the news' in the first place, or, if they were, would be brief almost meaningless factual statements before they got back to relentlessly shaming people about something or other, like whether the government needs to ban all beaches because one fight broke out on one beach that was unusually busy for one day.

Days and days of news coverage about one mountain from a molehill for the sole purpose of 'behavioural management', meanwhile other stuff is happening every single day, usually much more interesting (and therefore much more entertaining) stuff.

Yes, forums are pretty cool in this regard, but you know as well as anyone that the ban-hammer floats above every user on a forum, usually for the most arbitrary reasons and so will always still be a much diluted version of genuine human interaction. Whether it be choice of language or topic-angle or simply finding people that just sound intelligent about a subject rather than people either parroting/reading from an autocue or shitposting/baiting.

Youtibers are in a unique position whereby they are not necessarily beholden to anybody's specific whims other than their own, or, at least, the most free it's possible to be. Which is why the site is banned in China…

I'm not sure that is entirely true, for youtube. There, too, is a ban hammer. Youtube videos do get removed. And channels get cancelled.

Sometimes, it's because of obvious violations, regarding the content. But there are also cases where stuff got cancelled because of, let's say, "extreme reactions of the public" and not necessarily because of extreme content.

If you want "most free" you might have to go to some other places on the internet (which may not necessarily be pleasant places).

Goggle's not very fair and is in fact very biased. Its very easy to get removed nowadays. Twitter is the same, and Facebook is under pressure to go the same route now.

Meanwhile Trump makes a powerless executive order, and other elected officials don't bother to make legalization, and let the corporations police their own software.

Your amendments/rights don't mean shit on the internet anymore.:(

(Yeah I went political don't care.)

Maybe Mike Pondsmith was a prophet.:lol:

Last edited:
I did a cursory search for banned Youtube channels and it was pretty much what I was expecting. Not so much 'you'tube channels as extremist political rallying channels and dedicated conspiracy theorists.

None of these people were what I would describe as 'regular human beings just chatting about stuff', they are people so focused on one specific angle or sidetrack that reality bares little influence upon their musings.

And it looked like those banned came from both the 'left' and the 'right', or, to be more precise, the crackerjacks. And yes, I remember when all that started with Alex Jones as society knee-jerked to a Trump victory.

I was supportive of Alex Jones getting the boot. He was everything he pretended he hated, just as all the whack-job agenda-based channels are.

Youtube 'talking' channels should be about 'You', speaking as an everyman. It's no coincidence that every channel I've known about and watched regularly since 2008 is still there, doing their thing.

And it's for the same reason I don't think regular news networks should even be on Youtube beyond raw footage videos or talking head individual speakers. A news item clip is not 'you'tube, just as The Alex Jones Network is not 'you'tube, just as The Young Turks are not 'you'tube and just as 'charity' channels are not 'you'tube and etc.

If we're talking about bans from copywrite strike shenanigans then that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Last edited:
Can you give some examples? The Partnership programme allows for channels to get a certain amount of protection from report button nutjobs.

I did a cursory search for banned Youtube channels and it was pretty much what I was expecting. Not so much 'you'tube channels as extremist political rallying channels and dedicated conspiracy theorists.

You searched on the internet for proof of deletion on the internet using a browser & engine owned by a company that intentionally deletes things on the internet. :)

Control the information, control the people. Media has been doing that forever. This recent push for 'fairness' has been awesome for the media. They can control more information than ever AND have the population ask for it and rejoice!

You think Coke, Hershey, Unilever & Verizon are all just joining a boycott to push an information control agenda because its the 'right thing to do'?

You searched on the internet for proof of deletion on the internet using a browser & engine owned by a company that intentionally deletes things on the internet. :)

Control the information, control the people. Media has been doing that forever. This recent push for 'fairness' has been awesome for the media. They can control more information than ever AND have the population ask for it and rejoice!

You think Coke, Hershey, Unilever & Verizon are all just joining a boycott to push an information control agenda because its the 'right thing to do'?

A nice speech, but sadly lacking in any evidential content. You could say "pure conspiracy theory" ;)

And, yes, you can freely find plenty of websites detailing which 'truthers' LOL, have been deleted over the years. Now show me channels that have been deleted because of banal reasons...

Its working :)

I'm going to have to disagree about that. I think there's something fundamentally different between an individual's take on a topic and the relentlessly 'holier than though' inevitability of propaganda. Not to mention the restrictive nature of professional news outlets which almost demands they only ever show a political-party perspective rather than an individual's perspective. Even right down to the idea of what is news in the first place.

I agree, but in the context of my personal mental well being, there is not much difference. Youtube = entertainment only for me, and politics on YT is still politics. I will still watch an occasional political video on YT but it's rare and usually linked from elsewhere, and I am much more focused on local politics. But 99% of the time I watch it as someone would watch a sitcom or a science show.

My main reason is the dreaded "Youtube algorithm". It will very rarely serve you a video outside of your interests, and in the context of politics it can be very dangerous. Echo chambers and all that.

My main reason is the dreaded "Youtube algorithm". It will very rarely serve you a video outside of your interests, and in the context of politics it can be very dangerous. Echo chambers and all that.
100% agree I hate most of the recommended videos from the algorithm.

It works the way it was designed to though.:(

Yes, the 'recommended' algorithm does indeed suck balls, I agree.

While searching google for Avellone content I stumbled across an old youtuber I hadn't seen for a while: Angry Joe. Someone I think @joxer; used to link to quite regularly.
He's regular in the thread yes. Here's his latest take on microtransactions BS… Blue.

Whether it's one's favorite genre or not, or if one likes the direction the story went or not, The Last of Us 2 is decidedly not an average game. We should be so lucky.
Nah it's just your usual over-bloated blockbuster with good advertising. When you have fans who will buy anything, and money from huge publishers on consoles you rarely fail.

So no not average just over-hyped and lots of fans. Not the only game either.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom