XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Two DLCs on the Way

aries100

SasqWatch
2K announced today that this game will get two DLCs as well as the Elite Soldier Pack now can be purchased. As for the two DLCs, 2K announced that one of them is named the Slingshot Content Pack.

Games Radar has more:
The story-driven Slingshot pack adds armor decoration options for mid- and late-game armor as well as three missions starring a new central character, Triad operative Zhang. According to Ananda Gupta, the lead designer of the Slingshot pack, the purpose of the DLC is to add a miniature story arc to a game propelled by strategy and emergent narrative. “There are these external [narrative] moments on the strategy layer where you’re talking to personnel at base and you hit these key moments in the game where the invasion is progressing,” Gupta says. “But we’ve never done designed storytelling in combat. We thought it would be cool to touch on that in DLC outside the core scope of the game and give players a designed character that can enter their squad of player-driven characters.”
VG 24/7 has this to say about the Slingshot Content Pack:
Players will come into contact with a Triad operative, “divert an alien ship’s course, and do battle with the aliens in the skies over China.” The Slingshot Content Pack includes three new maps tied to the Council missions, a new playable squad character and a unique story and voice and new character customization options. The release date and pricing of the Slingshot Content Pack will be announced soon.
As for the other DLC, no name has yet been given to this DLC.
As for purchasing the elite soldier, according to VG 24/7 you can buy it for
$4.99/400 MS Points, and comes with the Classic X-COM soldier, Soldier Deco packs, and complete color customization.
More information.

A super-character and some 'shortcuts' to higher techs?? Do they balance this by making missions harder??

Is Firaxis taking the same approach they took with Civ 5 DLC?

(lots of small DLC and an expansion much later)

Annoyed that DLC is already in the pipe - what, two weeks after release? - when the original game itself is so short. Sadly, the Facebook announcement has dozens of enthusiastic comments, "please take more of my money" etc. I hate what DLC has done to the economy of game development. So much hate.

Uhm, thanks for giving us credit but we hadn't gotten to that news yet as of the posting :p

More story-driven missions is just what I don't want. I'm already getting pretty miffed about how much the story drives the game experience (and intrudes upon it). I know already, even when I've not finished my first playthrough, that this story empasis will seriously sap my will to do a second playthrough, as I fear the story will not change much (if at all) from game to game and I'll have to go through it each and every game. I would have preferred to craft my own story via gameplay and random events, etc.

Also, "Slingshot pack adds armor decoration options for mid- and late-game armor". Seriously? Selling cosmetic options. Sigh. Et tu, Brute.

How about a "We fixed the goddamned camera clipping!" DLC, but for free?

Smells like bioware DLC style...

Much more excited about rebalance mods out there than DLC...

Smells like bioware DLC style…

Much more excited about rebalance mods out there than DLC…

Can you tell me more about those mods?
What are there names and where can they be found?

Ontopic, DLCs i will never buy. Cost/value is more then low.
Besides i would like a patch of two alot more.

That's quite a change list. I just purchased XCOM last night, and now I'm trying to decide whether I should play vanilla or modded for my first time.

Also trying to decide if I should go with Normal or Classic difficulty. I never played much of the original XCOM, but I keep hearing about how easy this one is.

That's quite a change list. I just purchased XCOM last night, and now I'm trying to decide whether I should play vanilla or modded for my first time.

Also trying to decide if I should go with Normal or Classic difficulty. I never played much of the original XCOM, but I keep hearing about how easy this one is.

An opinion, for what it's worth: play vanilla. I'm finding it awesome. The balance is perfect, and DLC can't help but screw that up.

If you're not playing Ironman, play on Classic difficulty. I've played many squad-based strategy games over the years, but I don't consider myself 'hardcore'. At the start it seems like you have a lot to accomplish with very small resources, but the game isn't completely merciless on Classic.

Play vanilla. Always play the standard game of any game up to the point that you stop playing it because you are sick of it (if it happens anyways), else just end the game with no mods.

Then try mods for the 2nd playthrough. I'm a firm believer that any game must be played as the original makers wanted it to be experienced, in your own way.

Only go around this rule if you realy don't like the original game for some reason and you are thinking about stop playing. Unfortunately in my case this happens more and more with recent titles.

Here you go:

http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/27/

There are more, just browse the files part of the x.com nexus.

Ah, thnx !
How could i forget, the famous nexus.

After reading the rebalance mod text, i decided to use this one and not the vanilla version. In contrast to you guys i take my chances with THIS game on first try WITH balance mod.

I put this down after less than 100 hours, which for me is pretty incredible since I love this genre. I spent more time playing the latest Jagged Alliance thing. i liked the game fine but it's too short and it's too monty-haul-in-your-face propelling you to the end game tech, the end game missions, and the end game conclusion. I figured I might like it more if I broke the strategy layer and played it like a sandbox game but that got old REALLY FAST because you don't get far in XCOM before every mission seems exactly like missions you've done a dozen times before. And the icing on the cake is all the user interface bugs that can lock up the UI and can only be cleared with a game load. Not only is that a constant annoyance, it prevents me from playing Iron Man mode (unless I'd enjoy starting over from the beginning every hour or so, which I wouldn't) so the game doesn't even feel very challenging. Also, I'm miffed they gimped the stock version of the game just to spruce up the preorder version. Cheap ass stunt, and I won't forget it.

Nothing in this announced DLC does anything about my issues with XCOM. A different game mode might help, but in order to to that they've have to completely rework the strategy layer, add more maps and maybe (dynamically created maps) on the tactical layer, improve enemy AI scripting, and randomize enemy spawning to some extent. Oh, and add a boatload more enemy types as well as more weaponry and armor for the player's team so that I have more than 4 cookie-cutter soldier types exactly the same as all the others except for their level.

This game is better than the reviews led me to believe. I loved the original games. Hopefully we will get decent mods for the game that add content and playability and maybe some sequels. When are they going to figure out that turn based games are better?

Back
Top Bottom