What games are you playing now?

I almost stop playing the TW2 last time because of the Kayran fight and just might this as I have played the game before to its end.

I had a few moments this morning to myself and wanted to play for a hour or so.

I have zero interest this sort of boss fights that if you make one wrong move you have to start over again.
I remember that I hated this boss fight as well. (Generally I hate boss fights where you have different game mechanics than in "normal" fights. Hear me, Risen1?).

Hope I'll get over it when I'll replay TW2 in a few weeks…
Oh boy, I had to fight the Kayran yesterday and hated it from the very start, although I knew the strategy. Took me about 10 attempts and I hated every single one of them.

I bought Two World 1 and 2 some time back, but they don't seem to start up at all for some reason. Right now I'm playing Heroes of Steel, having fun with it so far, I wasn't expecting much from the game so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Currently playing The Last of Us. Amazing game. Utterly atmospheric. Great gameplay and combat. Really likeable characters. Just brilliant. Naughty Dog really know their stuff. I have a strong inclination re-get it when I get a PS4 (when the next-gen Uncharted releases :D)

Combat is just amazingly good. You scrounge for every bullet. Every piece of wood, trying to use it as melee weapons. Sneaking around all the time. A great survival game. One of the only games where I felt no remorse, when I sneaked around bands of survivors, and didn't get to loot them. Because I know that if I risked it, I'd probably get overwhelmed and just wouldn't make it.

And man, can the actors act. The guy that did the voice acting for Booker DeWitt in Bioshock Infinite really knows his stuff. He's amazing as Joel. And Ellie is also great. They have great chemistry.

I really liked The last of Us as well. At first i didn't like it much, but i probably wasnt in the mood for that type of game. Gave it another shot and i loved it because of the great characters, they're really on pair with a good movie, something that is very rare to see in a game. The settings and pacing is also great. My biggest gripe was the controlls (/the ps3 controller, which i dont like at all).

Ordered a PS4 today, can't wait to play the remastered version with a much improved controller + better framerate and resolution (i really hope it has some type of antialiasiang as well, the aliasing on the PS3 version is terrible).

The DLC (the single player one) is really great too.

Still playing Baldur's Gate 2. 100h in, chapter 5. It's crazy how little i remember from this game, which is nice i guess since it would be boring to know the story etc. Imo this game is too big / long. And yes things can be too big. A cake can taste like the best thing you've ever tasted but it can still be too big and after a while the greatness will wear off because you've had too much. I will continue though, i know that if i stop for a month or so i probably won't come back at all.

Imo this game is too big / long. And yes things can be too big. A cake can taste like the best thing you've ever tasted but it can still be too big and after a while the greatness will wear off because you've had too much.

Blasphemy! :D

I just played BG:EE for 99 hours and wanted more. I'm playing BG2:EE now and I'm 30 hours in and I don't want it to end, ever! I love these huge games with a billion interesting side quests.

As long as you don't eat too much cake in each sitting you can keep enjoying it for a long time. ;)

I'm still juggling whole bunch of games, not really getting into any of them. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Making progress with Skyrim though, going around doing everyday stuff like cooking, talking to people, crafting, selling (and stealing... ;))

Playing:
BG1:EE
KotOR1&2
Skyrim
D3

Was playing Thief but got to chapter 6 by playing basically non-violent, however the boss fight seems to basically require a violent style with things like blast arrows. Not very likely to go back and get them many chapters before (spent money on other things):(:mad:
So switched over to DOS and enjoying it very much!

Yes playing DOS, had just installed Risen and started it but can't seem to stop playing DOS.

I've started playing The Last of Us : Left Behind. It's the only singleplayer DLC they did. It's good, and it has quite different content from what I imagined from the cover art. At least, it has content which I didn't expect there to be. But it's great. You really feel for Ellie alone in that wasteland. And man, she's a lot more nimble and vulnerable than Joel was. Especially since I also chose to start it on Hard.

And I'm really torn on whether they should do a sequel. On the one hand I'd love more content from them on this setting. On the other, I'm afraid of it becoming a cash-cow. But, seeing as how maturely they treat the subject matter and how it just oozes style and you can just see the hard work they put it, I think I'd like them to attempt it. I just know they'd do it right.

And I can't wait for Uncharted for the PS4 to come out. Then I'll have the perfect excuse to get a PS4 and get the remastered Last of Us edition for the PS4.

After taking a break from TW2, I've dabbled in a few games.

I completed SRR Deadman's Task - which was a pleasant surprise for the most part.

Then I was starting to get into Dead Space 3 - until it turned into a really predictable shooter and all but forgot the fantastic atmosphere and immersion of the past games. I knew it wasn't going to be as good, but the predictability was just too much for me. It reminded me of Mass Effect 2 after Mass Effect. Thinking about all those rooms full of obvious cover still makes me a bit queasy.

I've played Risen 2 again, but it seems I just can't get into it properly. I don't really have the time for it. For a PB game, I really do need a proper week without much to do. I have a lot of vacation left, so I might just take a few weeks to complete R2 and R3 one after the other.

I wanted to play Dragon Age Origins again, but then I read that DA3 will not have a traditional import option. It will instead have a website where you're going to design your past, which means there's really no point at all in replaying the first game for an import option. Since I never completed Dragon Age 2 - I'm thinking about playing that again so as to get the story, but I left it in disgust last time - so I kinda doubt I'll be able to stand it.

I'm also waiting for the companion dialogues for Original Sin, and I'm doing my best not to get too hyped up about the game. All the positive talk makes the game seem like it's sent directly from the god of the old-school at the bottom of a long forgotten sea, but it just can't be that good, can it? Nah.

I've tried picking an MMO to play on the side - but I think I'm finally over that genre for a while. I'll play ESO again once they complete the EU migration in a month or so.

Finally, Fluent has been a bit of an inspiration for yet another BG playthrough. If anyone cared enough to actually remember, it wasn't long ago I started one - and I stopped playing at Baldur's Gate (the city) - as always. But I think it's recent enough to get back to that savegame, if I still have it. If I can get through it this time, it might be time for a brave attempt at getting into BG2.

Well, since Sony seems to have let all their domain names expire or something like that, looks like I'll be playing some Heroes of Steel today! At least until someone decides to pay their bill =p.

Have been playing Skyrim (finally!) for about a week now. It is opening up and I am liking it - in particular the world design, buildings and numerous ways to customise your character. I am playing on Expert difficulty (anything lower is just a joke with the health regeneration system, which makes food, potions, crafting, .. etc. redundant).

However, there are many more things to dislike, including:

- The User Interface: just atrocious and makes the UI of Gothic look like a work of art! Seriously, it is a very immersion breaking interface for a rpg that relies on trait management like magic, melee, ranged, equipment ... etc.

- NPC dialog is immature, and leads to forgettable NPCs. Take the dialog of Fallout New Vegas and the Gothics as good examples of lore introduction and NPC personality development.

- Weapon parameters are very limited: you only have damage and weight (and some enchanting stuff). No added effects such as bleeding, defence to bleeding, blunt, thrust .. etc, such as in Dark Souls.

- Cooking! Yes, your hero can craft the finest weapons and armour, can crap lighting and fire, but can't use a simple fire to cook raw meat - he needs to use someone's ready brewing pot to do his cooking! WOW.

Many inconsistencies that indicate that little thought has gone into creating a believable world in Skyrim (something that PB are very strong at); it looks impressive at the outset as it provides a great escape for people - but deep down it is very shallow.

If, by shallow, you mean ridiculous amount of content with hundreds of locations that each have their own unique little story to tell - then sure.

It's like calling WoW shallow because it doesn't allow C&C for tens of thousands of quests for thousands of players - because whatever singleplayer games does.

PB are masters of crafting a world, but their games are tiny in comparison compared to Skyrim when it comes to scope, freedom and flexibility.

Quality versus quantity? In a way, yes, but when I feel like getting lost in a world - I prefer a certain quantity that PB games usually can't quite provide. I also greatly enjoy the freedom to create my own character exactly as I see fit - and I love stuff like mounts, stealth and archery. Gothic/Risen is a joke compared to Skyrim when it comes to character flexibility and the arsenal of perks and powers.

Comparing Skyrim to a game much smaller in scope without recognising the strengths of both is ignorant, frankly.

Finally, Fluent has been a bit of an inspiration for yet another BG playthrough. If anyone cared enough to actually remember, it wasn't long ago I started one - and I stopped playing at Baldur's Gate (the city) - as always. But I think it's recent enough to get back to that savegame, if I still have it. If I can get through it this time, it might be time for a brave attempt at getting into BG2.

Glad I could be of some inspiration! :)

Baldur's Gate the city is when the game really got good, IMO.

There was a nice lead-up to it, that made me quite anxious to see it. And it was always looming on your world map as a giant city in the north, it just made me very excited to actually explore it.

It's a sprawling city with a lot of interactivity and things to see and do. IMO, it was a pleasant break from the wilderness exploring that had been going on before you reach the city.

If the city seems a bit overwhelming at first, just take it section by section and explore every house you can for now. You will find lots of quests and interesting things as you do.

Don't forget to visit Ulgoth's Beard at some point as well. The expansion is excellent, with memorable quests and a great dungeon, so you'll want to do that content as well. However, be prepared when you visit those places as they are quite nasty and you may have some difficulties.

Above all, have fun and enjoy yourself. Just wait until you get to BG2...it's an amazing game! :)

If, by shallow, you mean ridiculous amount of content with hundreds of locations that each have their own unique little story to tell - then sure.

As I said in the other thread, not sure if all locations are unique or tell an interesting story for what I have so far played. Locations, buildings and settings are well crafted but nothing more. Again, I am using Fallout New Vegas as a reference for good story telling, and unique locations, correlated strongly with interesting stories and memorable NPCs. I was not drawn to any character of location in the game, they are all forgettable so far.

It's like calling WoW shallow because it doesn't allow C&C for tens of thousands of quests for thousands of players - because whatever singleplayer games does.

Don't know anything about WoW as I have not played it nor intend to.

PB are masters of crafting a world, but their games are tiny in comparison compared to Skyrim when it comes to scope, freedom and flexibility.

This is a matter of funding, not capability. PB indeed achieved size, scope, freedom and flexibility in Gothic 3 that far exceeds Skyrim (in my opinion). In Gothic 3, you can side with any of the factions in the game, even bandits if you wish so and the game allowed for that with measurable consequences in the game. Skyrim clearly failed at this important aspect.

Quality versus quantity? In a way, yes, but when I feel like getting lost in a world - I prefer a certain quantity that PB games usually can't quite provide. I also greatly enjoy the freedom to create my own character exactly as I see fit - and I love stuff like mounts, stealth and archery. Gothic/Risen is a joke compared to Skyrim when it comes to character flexibility and the arsenal of perks and powers.

I totally agree here, the character customisation and progression provided by Oblivion and Skyrim is unmatched, coupled with the massive open (responsive and simulated) world is what made them very popular and accessbile. PB did not offer this character creation feature, but excelled in other aspects - we can't have everything!

Comparing Skyrim to a game much smaller in scope without recognising the strengths of both is ignorant, frankly.

I did not mention and specific PB to compare to Skyrim in my post, I just said that PB is much stronger at producing a more immersive and believable world. As for scope, Gothic 3 is of the same or much bigger scope (and thought and world immersion) than Skyrim will ever be (in my opinion and taste of what I like in an open world game, which of course is different for others!).

I've been trying Might and Magic X, but it's just not grabbing me. I think it just doesn't feel quite right and lots of little things are keeping me from getting the most out of it. I might give it a rest and come back to it a bit later on.

In the meantime, I've started a new character in Skyrim. This time I'm going with a heavy armor sword and shield with summing backup, which is quite a bit different from my normal style. Hopefully it'll keep me interested. Oh, but Skyrim doesn't have the Metal Blade from Mega Man 2, which is something I've never been able to get over. ;)

I've also started on Warlock 2, which is really fun so far. The first one was ok, but felt a bit too much like a Civ-clone. The new shard-worlds and planewalking's given it a nice twist. People who expect a straight 4X might be a bit disappointed, but it's not so far off formula that it feels too weird.

As I said in the other thread, not sure if all locations are unique or tell an interesting story for what I have so far played. Locations, buildings and settings are well crafted but nothing more. Again, I am using Fallout New Vegas as a reference for good story telling, and unique locations, correlated strongly with interesting stories and memorable NPCs. I was not drawn to any character of location in the game, they are all forgettable so far.

I believe I've explained what I mean by unique stuff to find in that other thread.

This is a matter of funding, not capability. PB indeed achieved size, scope, freedom and flexibility in Gothic 3 that far exceeds Skyrim (in my opinion). In Gothic 3, you can side with any of the factions in the game, even bandits if you wish so and the game allowed for that with measurable consequences in the game. Skyrim clearly failed at this important aspect.

Well, I'm not psychic - so I don't know the reasons behind PB games being what they are. I'd say it's probably about PB wanting to do something else than Bethesda, more than anything.

Gothic 3 is a complete joke compared to Skyrim when it comes to the amount of content and the freedom provided to the player and his character. Not to mention mounts, the elaborate stealth system, the physics-based archery, the enchanting, the elaborate alchemy, the perks, the dragon shouts and so on. There's just no comparison at all.

As for Skyrim C&C, there are many quests with consequences and the obvious civil war is a good example.

I did not mention and specific PB to compare to Skyrim in my post, I just said that PB is much stronger at producing a more immersive and believable world. As for scope, Gothic 3 is of the same or much bigger scope (and thought and world immersion) than Skyrim will ever be (in my opinion).

Your opinion is not something I can change - but in this case it's, frankly, absurd.

If you want to compare the games in terms of scope and amount of content - Gothic 3 will hardly amount to 10% of Skyrim.

Note that I'm not talking about size of landscape here (which I haven't measured, nor do I think it's interesting) - but about unique locations and the amount of detail you'll find in any given dungeon.

Gothic 3 had caves with exclusively random loot - and I don't even remember a single proper dungeon.

That far exceeds Skyrim? Haha, that has to be a joke.

Anyway, this is hardly worth our time. You think G3 far exceeds Skyrim in terms of scope - and you don't think Skyrim offers much in terms of location variety.

That's cool - we just differ on that.

Aside from Divinity Original Sin, I have been playing too much of Civilization Revolution 2 on the iPad.

In case you are wondering ... YES, it is more or less just a tweaked and prettier CivRev 1, and YES that was just a dumbed down Civ4 ... and YES I love it and keep playing it anyway because it is SO MUCH freaking fun! But NO ... it is not worth $15.

Aside from Divinity Original Sin, I have been playing too much of Civilization Revolution 2 on the iPad.

In case you are wondering … YES, it is more or less just a tweaked and prettier CivRev 1, and YES that was just a dumbed down Civ4 … and YES I love it and keep playing it anyway because it is SO MUCH freaking fun! But NO … it is not worth $15.

I was quite disappointed with CivRev 2. I actually thought it was a real sequel - and not just a buttered up singleplayer-only CivRev.

What a rip-off, frankly.

Back
Top Bottom