LuckyCarbon's Space Adventure Indie

I love the name!!! Heck, anyone that's enjoyed reading Donaldson over the past 35 yrs is likely to love it, also =)).

Keep us updated, please. If you ever need a hippy wanna-be-space-cowboy for beta purposes, count me in!!

-Carn

Carbon, it's looking more and more impressive every day. Keep up the great work! I'll most certainly be checking the website every day for updates. These types of games are right up my alley.

Looks interesting but I have never liked 3rd person space sims. Action or not I need a cockpit. :)

Well then, forget you too!

j/k of course. :)

First person is a press of the "c" key away. I would have loved to do cockpits too, but with my limited art skills and the time it would have taken, it just wasn't realistic.

Stupid question: Can I use a gamepad with it? I prefer the old Thrustmaster joysticks for my flight sims, but those tiny joysticks on a gamepad will do in a pinch.

I'd love to but it's not on my short list right now. Unity's input configuration and native multiple input devices certainly leaves the door open but I don't actually own a joystick or gamepad, so that's going to be a pretty hard one for me to implement and test.

Hey everyone, just wanted to post an update.

I have some new planet textures and new ships in the game now. Ships are normal & specular mapped, they look great in flight.

Here's a sample of the new planet textures and a new ship:
screenshot4.jpg

Work continues as best as I'm able. I'm finding for every item I cross off my to do list, I add two more. Started re-working on the in-flight interface as I'm adding new elements to it, hopefully have a screen shot up soon.

I did put together a logo, what do you guys think?

unfettered.png

Does anyone know someone who does character portraits? I need about a dozen characters, pretty small headshots only, a couple hundred pixels in size. Warning: budget extremely limited right now.

Logo is cool, but how about adding something to give it more of a sci-fi/space vibe? Like maybe one of your ships in the background, or something similar, to make it more identifiable with the theme of your game.

Logo is cool, but how about adding something to give it more of a sci-fi/space vibe? Like maybe one of your ships in the background, or something similar, to make it more identifiable with the theme of your game.

The logo probably won't be used by itself too often, I would think it'll usually have a background in most cases. I was planning on putting it on top of a starry background with a sun or planet or ships or something in the background for the splash settings screen that comes up when you launch the game and other places I have the room.

But....yes, that's a good idea.

My 30 second random ideas:
Make the hole in the D s supernova-ing star or something space looking.
Or make the broken pieces of the chain tiny spaceships, that might be too small and too subtle though.
Perhaps a sun or planet with rings behind the first 20% of the logo.

That might look nice for the small desktop icon I need to make yet, perhaps a sun/planet behind the broken chain.

I'll probably play with the colors yet too, so maybe I can work in something when I do that.

Thanks for the feedback JDR, a good idea and something I'll think about.

I like the look and scheme of the logo, maybe you could have a ship streaking under the name, or flying through the U, to give people more of an idea about the game itself. Other than that, I think it looks fine.

-Carn

The logo above should be updated ( it's linked to my site so it should be current ). I added the ship breaking through the U - implying the spaceship gives you the freedom to break your chains. Also, changed the simple gradient background of "nfettered" to a mask over stars, just slightly more "space" feeling.

As far as the actual games goes, I didn't quite hit my end of the year engine 100% done goal but I came close, end of next week I hope. As always it will depend on the amount of time I can find to work on it. I am updating the blog every day or so and getting a small amount of traffic daily, so if it's anyone here that's reading my ramblings, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom