Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - Interview @Venturebeat

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Venturebeat explored Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and asked some questions.

Odyssey will give you plenty of choices about how you will approach your specific adventure. You can play as either Alexios or Kassandra, you can romance a huge number of characters, and you can approach missions however you want.

In the clip below from my play session, you can see some of how this works. In this video, I took a mission from Socrates to go free a radical freedom fighter. I went in and killed all of the guards to let him go free, but when he lashed out wildly at me, I killed him, too. When I went back to talk to Socrates, the conversation reflected those gameplay choices. But had I avoided killing the guards and/or the radical, that discussion would have played out differently … and the results of those actions could have had consequences on other parts of the game.

[...]

GamesBeat: This is an RPG, so did you ever consider letting people make their own characters?

Scott Phillips: That’s where the balance of Assassin’s Creed versus an Assassin’s Creed RPG comes in. We wanted to tell a story, but we wanted to give you as much freedom as possible within that story. It’s a narrative. It’s going to be different for every player, but the core of that is going to be the same, because that’s part of what Assassin’s Creed is. That’s the DNA of Assassin’s Creed. But we wanted to take that in our own direction by making you — allowing you to choose a lot of different things, small and large, that have an overall impact on that story.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Any greek watchers in these parts? How did Ubi nail accents and chest hair?
Unity was kinda funny. They couldn't get their own right ( french). :biggrin:

I don't know why people still think "create a character" automatically means subscribing to Bethesda's style of blank slate avatar approach. You can have a story with customized characters just as well.

Any greek watchers in these parts? How did Ubi nail accents and chest hair?
Unity was kinda funny. They couldn't get their own right ( french). :biggrin:

I think they did a good job. It sounds a lot like a greek native speaking english. A friend was absolutly sure that the person giving voice to Cassandra was Greek.

Have to admit I like the chick, more and more. True Spartan beauty.

Asscreed devs failed to make even a simple free-prisoner animation, like cutting the ropes or something. Chick isn't exactly a beauty, more like a female tank.

Animations… Nitpicking much? :p

Not every game needs Hollywood plastic boobs and anorexia to sell. Some devs are brave enough to show real proportions humans. That game up there is one of those.

Why is the character in the vid hunched like a monkey all the time. Do people in Greece not stand straight? I find that hard to believe. Was that supposed to be sneaking while running? Does the game have parkour? I've never played an AC game....

Most of those are questions for Ubisoft, except parkour. All AC games have it and it was initially used as puzzle solver mechanics, recent AC games simplified it and it's used basically as movement animation, nothing more.

Buy and play AC Origins. Older titles are not RPGs and are anticompletionist - contain too much of filler (grind). You can still try Ezio trilogy, AC3 and AC: Rogue. Others suck so skip 'em.

Yeah, I think I will pick up Origins next time there's a sale. If there is too much twitch stuff I should learn in less than two hours. I suck at anything twitchy.

I've never played one of those games but I watched a mate playing one, and it appeared to have quite the amount of twitchiness, from what I could observe.

Ironically, the english with greek accent sounded more authentic then the "malaka" swearing. Don't really know why.

I played Assassin's Creed 2 (I got it free) and the combat was relatively easy, and I suck in twitchiness as well. What killed me about that game was the amount of minigames, but the sandbox elements were cool. I'll probably give Origins a try once it goes on sale.

Yes, I'm also waiting for a sale....I played 1 & 2 (1000 years ago) , but lost interest at that point. All that assassinatin' ;-) I loved the visuals, but that simply wasn't enough, the game became too ...samey. Maybe the later ones improved. But I love ancient Egypt (I really wish someone would set an RPG there, I mean a *real* rpg ;), so wlil likely try Origins when its cheap.

Playing Origins right now for the first time, and it's probably the first Assassin Creed game I actually enjoyed playing since part four. It plays and feels like its predecessors.

The lack of Templar's is nice instead we have a cult who wants the power instead. The only thing I hate is the death sermon you get when you kill the targets.

Seems you get a lesson with every Main Target you kill. You murderer.:devilish:

Back
Top Bottom