The TV Series discussion thread

Watched Episode 4 of Colony last night, a really good episode. Also I realised one of the characters is played by the awesome Carl Weathers - I thought he looked familiar but hadn't managed to put a name to him!

Watched Episode 4 of Colony last night, a really good episode. Also I realised one of the characters is played by the awesome Carl Weathers - I thought he looked familiar but hadn't managed to put a name to him!

They offered him free soda refills.

Been enjoying The Terror mostly due to its exotic place and time in history and some slow but interesting character development, though I am disappointed that the creature looks kind of cheap and SyFy-esque in its CGI rendering in the last episode. Hope it doesn't turn to total shit.

I've been really enjoying the Terror up to the third episode, it is staying in line with the book and not descending into some explosion/space alien thingie, but simply sticking with a huge polar bear, which on its' own turf is quite scary enough, with nothing else necessary. I love a good story set in these times, and on ships trapped in ice with men in close quarters, there is no need to deviate at all from the novel to make a compelling tale.

Watching the second series of Jessica Jones, up to the twelfth episode and it is good, but I'm starting to think this might be a show that could do with a little trimming, maybe just have ten episodes per series. It is good to finally get a little more back round information on the experiments that created this altered humans.

but simply sticking with a huge polar bear, which on its' own turf is quite scary enough, with nothing else necessary.

Not just a boring, ordinary, over-sized polar bear, of course. It's a monster, a soul eater from Eskimo mythology that looks like a bear but with a strange head. Unfortunately, I'm on episode 5 already, having special sneak preview access, and the creature in full view looks… disappointing. They should have kept it more out of frame or used skillful camera/editing work to make it more shadowy. Fuck bad CGI. If they had to go that route, they should have hired the guys who do the FX rendering for Game of Thrones.

Watching the second series of Jessica Jones, up to the twelfth episode and it is good, but I'm starting to think this might be a show that could do with a little trimming, maybe just have ten episodes per series. It is good to finally get a little more back round information on the experiments that created this altered humans.

To me it felt like I was watching a soap opera. My patience ran out around the 7th episode, couldn't take it anymore. And I loved season 1!

Finished a couple second season episodes about 2 weeks ago and felt the same. The show is good but it is so obvious that they are just adding unneeded material so that they can get their 13 episodes in. Just tell your story and then get out.

Teen Wolf season 1

Liked it, it was enjoyable mostly because i didnt find those teenagers annoying...that Stiles dude was really cool; and couldnt they find a beautiful girl to play Allison, the present one is fugly.. But 5 more seasons, im expecting it to become a soap opera.

Just finished season 2 of Colony. Really enjoyed it. It has a strong concept, good acting, and lots of surprises. Looking forward to season 3.
In the meantime I need to find something new for my "one episode a day" habit…

Just finished season 2 of Colony. Really enjoyed it. It has a strong concept, good acting, and lots of surprises. Looking forward to season 3.
In the meantime I need to find something new for my "one episode a day" habit…

What do you enjoy ?

Pleasantly surprised by the first episode of The Terror. Kind of like an old school British drama, with solid actors (a couple of Game of Thrones alumni). Same era and similar feel to Sharpe, but with something spooky going on.

Yup, seen four episodes of the Terror so far, and I think it is staying fairly true to the novel. There are some minor changes and additions, but I find it quite worth watching, at least so far.

If you enjoy thrillers/godfather type productions, I'd suggest giving McMafia a go. It stars the bloke from Grantchester, and eventually gets to a point where he is laundering money via funds/investments. I think we've seen six episodes so far, and it is pretty good. Not as good as Counterpart, but certainly worth watching.

What do you enjoy ?

I'm generally looking for stuff I can watch with my wife, so gangster shows and violent crime is sadly generally out (although I did manage to get her to watch the Sopranos once, which went down surprisingly well!). Mad Men, Lost, and the West Wing have been good past successes, but the area where our interests most align is good sci-fi/fantasy. We've recently been through the season 1 of the Last Kingdom (fantastic opening episodes, poor towards the end), the Expanse (enjoyed, good characters and generally a good script), Almost Human (not so much, but a good concept) and Colony. We're generally on Netflix but I'm not against splashing out if something looks decent. Any recommendations welcome!

I have no idea what Netflix offers at your side as stupid geoblocking is still a thing in 2018. It's not the only streaming service and luckily there are legal freebies with specific offers like viki.com. Sadly, as you won't be watching alone I cannot recommend stuff like Lexx which is too crazy and should be enjoyed alone.

Anyway, sci fi that can sit to a couple you say? Lemme remind on some widely unknown (and perhaps some a bit old, yet still awsome) titles.

Äkta människor - can't praise it enough, there is ongoing IIRC brittish remake that went into different direction and ain't finished so till it gets the last season, grab the original wherever you can.

Total Recall 2070 - somewhat old and without proper ending one season show, underrated and forgotten, it was and is still great!

The Lost Room - a scifi/fantasy/mystery masterpiece with cheap production from SyFy, don't die before watching this one.

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - another underrated gem and pretty much unique, to this day I cannot understand the decision not to make more seasons of it.

Farscape - before SG1 Claudia Black appeared in this sci fi meets muppets show and kicked some serious arse there. Have to warn you that a few episodes are boooooooooooring filler, but the rest of it is fantastic. Don't forget after enjoing it's 4 seasons to wrap things up with TV films finale: Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars

Utopia - a thoughtprovoking masterpiece you shouldn't watch if younger than 30, yes, it's disturbing more than actual horrors.

Misfits - fantastic 3 seasons and then 2 boring blanks aka grab and watch only the first three seasons and stop there. Additionally, after second season watch possibly the best of the show special mini episode "Vegas Baby!". Note that this episode is not offered on every streaming service that has Misfits in their catalogue so you can enjoy it in low quality on YouTube. Just don't watch it before you deal with first two season of the show!

Thanks @joxer;, loads of great recommendations there! And stuff I haven't heard of as well, which is gold dust.

I saw the first season of the British version of Akta Manniskor, didn't realise it was a remake. I enjoyed it except for the wet husband character. Might give the original a go.

Loved Farscape. Loved Claudia Black. Loved Rygel. Loved the hero bloke whose name I can't remember. Awesome show.

The others though are new to me. I've heard of Brisco County (only because of Bruce Campbell) but never seen it. The Lost Room has an interesting concept, might see if I can find that for tonight's viewing!

I'm generally looking for stuff I can watch with my wife, so gangster shows and violent crime is sadly generally out (although I did manage to get her to watch the Sopranos once, which went down surprisingly well!). Mad Men, Lost, and the West Wing have been good past successes, but the area where our interests most align is good sci-fi/fantasy. We've recently been through the season 1 of the Last Kingdom (fantastic opening episodes, poor towards the end), the Expanse (enjoyed, good characters and generally a good script), Almost Human (not so much, but a good concept) and Colony. We're generally on Netflix but I'm not against splashing out if something looks decent. Any recommendations welcome!
For Sci fi try altered carbon and timeless
Altered carbon is a bit grim and timeless is more feel good adventure.
I'd say altered carbon is the better of the two.
Both on Netflix

Then there's killjoys if you enjoy some low Sci fi.

I'm not sure about fantasy shows. Other than Game of Thrones, most are low quality.

But in similar veins but not fantasy there's vikings since you sais you like le the last kingdom

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

For Sci fi try altered carbon and timeless
Altered carbon is a bit grim and timeless is more feel good adventure.
I'd say altered carbon is the better of the two.
Both on Netflix
Then there's killjoys if you enjoy some low Sci fi.

Just realised that when I said "almost human" in my earlier post I actually meant "altered carbon". I think they call that a senior moment! ;) Watched it fairly recently, I couldn't make my mind up - some episodes were great, some were a bit poor. It kind of tailed off towards the end with too much ninja stuff, but it was still watchable.

Not seen Timeless or killjoys, I'll add them to the list. One of my friends recommend Vikings as well but I didn't get round to trying it. It looks quite good, thanks for the reminder! And yeah most fantasy TV is pretty poor sadly but my wife is obsessed with Game of Thrones - more than me in fact, which I find bizarre given the levels of violence that she'd normally hate…

Just realised that when I said "almost human" in my earlier post I actually meant "altered carbon". I think they call that a senior moment! ;) Watched it fairly recently, I couldn't make my mind up - some episodes were great, some were a bit poor. It kind of tailed off towards the end with too much ninja stuff, but it was still watchable.

Not seen Timeless or killjoys, I'll add them to the list. One of my friends recommend Vikings as well but I didn't get round to trying it. It looks quite good, thanks for the reminder! And yeah most fantasy TV is pretty poor sadly but my wife is obsessed with Game of Thrones - more than me in fact, which I find bizarre given the levels of violence that she'd normally hate…
It's because of the hot people in the show

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom