The Lord of the Rings Gollum - First Screenshots

What's taters precious.

Some more information from gamestar (translated with deepl):
The German developer Daedalic gives Gollum from the Lord of the Rings universe his own action adventure. Technically the game is based on the Unreal Engine. In the center is Gollum, who will look different than in the movies. In the game mainly stealth, climbing and jumping passages are in the foreground. There will be no gadgets, special skills or real fights. In the course of the game there will always be decisions based on the split personality of Gollum. The Lord of the Rings: Gollum will be released for PS5, Xbox Series X and PC.

I think it's a bold move and damn interesting to make a game about Gollum. Innovation generally is a good thing and having a main protagonist with such a complicated and dramatic personality definitly is something new.

However I don't think I'll play it. Part of it is that I just don't like Gollum and don't want to play as him. The main reason is that the beginning and the end of his story is known and fixed. I have hardly any interest in playing something in between.

What I still cannot figure out is why we've yet to have a true, deep RPG set in Middle Earth? ...
Grrr… so frustrated we've still seen no such game.

It may not look it from screenshots & youtube but I think you'd find that LOTRO world building really nailed the atmosphere and lore of Middle Earth. Start a Hobbit in the Shire and try to get to Moria. And do the pie quest.

Of all the characters in the saga - this is not one I would expect a developer to put in the role of the playable protagonist.

It's not an immediately compelling choice - but I'll keep an open mind.

Being a gigantic Tolkien fan, I'll sniff out everything there is to sniff out.

Back
Top Bottom