The Outer Worlds - Combat Gameplay Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GameInformer continues its coverage of The Outer Worlds by showing some combat gameplay. Video is at the link.

With our new cover story on Obsidian's The Outer Worlds, we're rolling out exclusive features and videos throughout the month. For the video above, we spoke with the game's co-director Tim Cain and lead designer Charles Staples about their approach to combat. The team started out with Fallout: New Vegas as the "touchstone game," but soon deviated by adding things like companion commands and a slow-motion option called "tactical time-dilation". Watch the interview above to see plenty of new combat gameplay and learn how the team at Obsidian balanced shooting action with RPG elements.
More information.

New, Exclusive Impressions Of The Outer Worlds

In this excerpt from The Game Informer Show, Ben Hanson, Joe Juba, and Matt Miller share new details on Obsidian's upcoming RPG The Outer Worlds based on Game Informer's new cover story.
Will The Outer Worlds Live Up To Fan Expectations?

In this exclusive Game Informer interview, the Outer Worlds co-directors Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky talk about some common misconceptions they see online about the gameplay, scope, and length of Obsidian's next RPG

Oy, the AI looks Gamebryoish. And that's not a good thing :(
Maybe but the game is made with Unreal Engine 4. So it wouldn't be Gamebryoish.:biggrin:

Yeah, was specifically referencing the AI - or lack thereof. Enemies just roam around in full view during combat and your companions, ranged or not, simply swarm those enemies in melee range.

Hopefully the rest of the game is exemplary to shore this up. Tim looks tired :(

I saw lots of crates conveniently lying around everywhere. I wish the barriers/cover were a little more realistic. Also the AI seemed to ignore cover.

The TTD thing looks slightly less gimmicky than VATS.

Combat video? I'll save time and watch something else.
Wake me up when there is ingame humor video.

I have absolute faith to Tim and Leonard. We are talking about guys behind Fallout, Arcanum, VtM Bloodlines and ToEE. All cult classics. Instant buy for me.

Or maybe second Underworld Ascendant incident coming. Who knows?

Looks a little tame and clunky to me, but I can be quite forgiving of such things if there's enough meat on its gameplay bones.

That said, I'm not particularly happy with the 40 hours maximum playtime thing I've been hearing about - as that seems like a terrible fit for the kind of game I was hoping this would be.

I'm also getting a strange vibe off of the visuals and the atmosphere. It looks a little confused and busy - for lack of a better term. As if they forgot to hire an art director or something.

Altogether, I have to say the more I hear and see of it - the less interested I'm getting.

Which is really no big deal - as I never expected it to be made for someone like me.

I don't have that much time for gaming these days anyway, and there are several big-time releases much more suited to my preferences just around the corner.

That said, I'm not particularly happy with the 40 hours maximum playtime thing I've been hearing about - as that seems like a terrible fit for the kind of game I was hoping this would be.

You want to watch the "Will The Outer Worlds Live Up To Fan Expectations?" video Couchpotato posted above. It talks about the game length in it, the "40 hours" comes from it...

You want to watch the "Will The Outer Worlds Live Up To Fan Expectations?" video Couchpotato posted above. It talks about the game length in it, the "40 hours" comes from it…

Could you summarize the relevant bits? :)

I'm really not big into these youtube videos.

Watched the first two minutes and my impressions were 100% confirmed. It's not an open world type of game - and it's not going to be about exploring space and so forth.

That was what I was originally hoping it would be, based on a few trailers and such.

Also, they say it's probably about KotOR 2 or less - in terms of length. Meaning 40 hours is sort of optimistic.

Not saying it's a bad thing at all, it's just not what I would have wanted from this type of game.

When I first saw videos of it - I was thinking this might be Obsidian's "Starfield" - which would be fantastic.

I expect Starfield to be exactly the kind of game I'm talking about - which is something akin to Fallout mixed with Mass Effect Andromeda.

If that's true, they blantantly lied during the initial hype. They claimed it was going to be their largest game to date.

The thing to keep in mind is that this game was primarily self-funded by Obsidian. The publishing deal was fleshed out long after the tech and design doc / goals for the game were largely completed.

As such, people on the internets really do have to reign in their expectations (especially new fanboys fresh off the Fallout '76 hate train). This won't be an AAA game in the traditional sense; more like Obsidian giving Tim and Leonard design oversight on a shoestring budget, comparatively speaking.

I'm expecting a blend of Kotor and Jade Empire with a Borderlands aesthetic. It's hard to hope for more given Obsidian's lack of technical experience in creating entirely new 3D worlds. When was the last time they created something entirely new in this fashion? Alpha Protocol?

I'm definitely rooting for Tim & Leonard, but my expectations are firmly grounded given the financial realities of game design in 2019.

If that's true, they blantantly lied during the initial hype. They claimed it was going to be their largest game to date.
It may very well be, world-building wise. Not necessarily in game length.

It's hard to hope for more given Obsidian's lack of technical experience in creating entirely new 3D worlds. When was the last time they created something entirely new in this fashion? Alpha Protocol?

Armored Warfare, a tank MMO, that Obsidian worked on until 2017 when Mail.ru, the publisher, took control back (and the dev team moved to The Outer Worlds).

The POE series use 3D assets too, only the end results is 2D.

FONV was easymode for Obsidian though; they had, by and large, all the technology and assets at their disposal and could jump immediately into story. By "world-building", I did not simply mean a sprawling map but the tech and systems behind the game.

Their biggest tech hurdle was probably manipulating a dialogue tree API (from the infamous Aliens RPG I believe) to shore up Bethesda's lack thereof.

I'm kinda interested in seeing an Obsidian dev quote about that claim. My googlefu is failing me right now. I do remember reading/hearing something similar, but I want the context because the KoTOR2 comparison has been done by Obsidian devs since they announced the game too.

As Drithius is saying, it might have been "biggest/largest" in the sense of development involvement from Obsidian who beside POE and Alpha Protocols have mostly done sequels and mercenary work.

Back
Top Bottom