Firaxis are looking into XCOM 2 performance issues

henriquejr

Fluminense Football Club
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
As per PCGamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-2-performance-issues-being-looked-into-by-firaxis/

Also: there is a FAQ covering a very basic tech troubleshooting for XCOM 2

I started playing the game, beggining with the tutorials and I finished the 1st tutorial mission. Maybe because the tutorial's nature (meaning: a set of predetermined actions in a controlled environment, like 'do this, don't do that', 'click here', 'fire at enemy now', etc) I experienced no laggings or performance issues (again, I just finished the 1st tutorial mission). I forgot to use a program to count the fps (e.g. Fraps).

After that 1st tutorial mission, a cutscene shows up, with some dialogue between characters and, again, no issues happened.

I must say my PC, by the current standards, is a modest machine:
Windows 7 64 bits
Processor: Intel i7 3990k
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Gene
GPU: GTX 760 4G RAM
RAM: 8 GB

Should I finish the tutorials and start the campaign, I will post here on RPGWatch the problems I'll experience (if any) as well as the fps my PC gets. :)

Last edited:
Count me confused.
You're measuring almost 10/10 game's performance? Isn't it rediculous, I mean… If it scored almost 10/10 that must mean the game is near pitch perfect when it comes to performance. At least in some small world of mine.

Also, that machine of yours is much higher than modest. I mean, i7, K version… Are you working on NASA calculation projects as hobby? :D

Performance issues? I looked at the graphics and was thinking it was developed to run on even older PC's... it's not like it is the next The Order 1886 or anything in terms of graphics....

Count me confused.
You're measuring almost 10/10 game's performance? Isn't it rediculous, I mean… If it scored almost 10/10 that must mean the game is near pitch perfect when it comes to performance. At least in some small world of mine.

Also, that machine of yours is much higher than modest. I mean, i7, K version… Are you working on NASA calculation projects as hobby? :D

Joxer,

As I said above I am playing the tutorial, which is a controlled environment. We cannot make moves or actions other than those the game orders us to. Like 'move to that spot and you'll be concealed', 'see that enemy over there, click the icon XXX to fire at him'.

Although I have both XCOM EU and EW in my Steam library, I never played them so I'm starting the series by playing XCOM 2. I'm a newbie, a fresh fish to the series (no, I also haven't played the X-Com games from 1990s) and this was the main reason I choose to play XCOM 2's tutorial.

I am not saying the game has top-notch performance. I said until now I haven't found any issues when playing the tutorial (I didn't even make a team of my own, I didn't toy with the game's char customization :) ). Maybe because of tutorial's nature, the issues are imperceptible. Does the performance issues exist? Well, there are topics and topics about this subject spread all over internet (Reddit, Steam, 2K forums, etc), so surely the issues does exist. Surely the game will be patched soon and things will get better.

I will start playing the tutorial again, from scratch, this time using a program to count my fps (maybe Fraps, although I heard NVidia Shadowplay has this function as well).

Can anyone who played the tutorial tell us if issues were found (in tutorial) ?

PS: as for my PC, I don't think a 8GB RAM paired with a 760 4GB VRAM is a NASA machine. From what I could gather here, people already have 16 GB RAM + GTX 970 (or 980). As you can see, my GPU is two generations old. If only the exchange rate BRL-USD were more affordable to us Brazilians… :)

PS: as for my PC, I don't think a 8GB RAM paired with a 760 4GB VRAM is a NASA machine. From what I could gather here, people already have 16 GB RAM + GTX 970 (or 980). As you can see, my GPU is two generations old. If only the exchange rate BRL-USD were more affordable to us Brazilians… :)
But it is.
People already have... So? Since when and in what game 16Gb of RAM boosted the performance so high it should become standard? Your two generations ols GPU can run *everything* at highest setting except hairworks in TW3 without performance problems (not sure about Tomb Raider 2, I'm waiting for the complete version and heavy discount before buying).

The Order 1886
Good point.

Count me confused.

The thing is, everybody has a different concept of what 10/10 is. To some, it means perfection. To me, it basically means it's between 95 and 100 if the scoring was based on 100. A 95 score means the game is really good, but allows for imperfections.
I also tend to be forgiving of slight performance issues. So what if the game is 'only' 30 FPS, that's perfectly playable to me, but to others it means the game deserves to be burned.

if the game is 'only' 30 FPS, that's perfectly playable to me, but to others it means the game deserves to be burned.
If it's PC game, yes, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn!

If it's not PC game, who cares about FPS there, it's ment for audience who can't tell a difference between apple and orange.

If it's PC game, yes, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn!

If it's not PC game, who cares about FPS there, it's ment for audience who can't tell a difference between apple and orange.

That's what I'm saying, to me a PC game being 30FPS is not a problem at all.

If you need a program to tell you what the framerate is in a game like this then framerate isn't a problem. From what I heard about this issue, though, it's dropping framerates WAY down. Like single digits.

P.S. No need for FRAPS if you've got NVIDIA. Just use that Experience thing. It does framerates and videos very nicely.

Back
Top Bottom