|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Gaming BS of the week

Default Gaming BS of the week

July 3rd, 2018, 10:43
https://www.pcgamesn.com/neo-nazi-recruitment-gaming
Ex-neo Nazi explains how white supremacists use Fortnite, Minecraft, and COD to recruit
No it's not Facebook, not YouTube, not blogs and not e-mails. It's videogames where racism blossoms says this anonymous.
Probably another one on Trump's payroll.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; July 3rd, 2018 at 10:54.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#281

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,138
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2018, 12:07
Huh, and then people wonder why I write so often about the lack of african and south american games or these areas / cultures even used as settings ?

Face it, we know next to nothing about games produced on both continents. And that's part of the problem, imho.
Because we have so few people knowing these continent's languages.





Originally Posted by Farflame View Post
Another statement…

"We have a lot of dad-ification in games now. Father-son stories," says game writer Rihanna Pratchett.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/it…/1100-6458782/

Some of you (joxer?) would probably call it BS. How many father-son stories we really have in games? Ok. But…. she was able to top that with this comment and that is really "BS of the week" IMHO.

"there are so many father stories being explored in games. There are very few mother stories. Mothers-- and THIS GOES FOR FILM AND TV AS WELL AS GAMES --they often tend to be absent or dead or missing."


So there are much more fathers in all those TV shows and movies - mothers are mostly non-existent?? Really? And this comes from a writer!
Personally, i know next to no games with fathers and sons at all. But maybe I'm just not playing the "right" games for that.

Drakan was about a sister trying to rescue her younger brother, for example.
The Longest Journey even has a lesbian couple.

But in principle I agree with Rhianna : There is time for more "mother-daughter" stories because i juast don't know any of them in games, either.

I agree inso far with her that there are far too many clichιs taking over - or rather : have already taken over - in game stories. There is nothing really creative there anymore.

Edit : One very bad example of the lack of female protagonists is the western series "Bonanza".

Edit . The interview mentions "God Of War". Well, this most certainly is a game I would NOT be playing at all …


In our interview, Pratchett also said she would like to see more game stories with older female heroes. She said it's not fair that male characters can age with grace while female ones often cannot.
I fully agree there. There are just no characters in gaming like Calamity Jane.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#282

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 17,838
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2018, 12:09
Kinda no, but in fact is.
https://torrentfreak.com/uganda-to-b…ia-tax-180702/

Uganda has new tax:
Starting yesterday, that’s now the reality in Uganda after the authorities introduced a controversial tax on people using dozens of Internet services including Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, and Instagram.

Passed in May by the Ugandan parliament, the legislation requires local Internet service providers to block a wide range of social media and telecoms platforms until subscribers pay a flat fee of 200 shillings (US$0.051) per day.
What are people doing there now? Using VPN to avoid tax on Facebook.

But… Why is this in gaming thread?
Because ignorant politicians there forgot to tax mmos too! Just imagine all the $ dart would have to pay for grinding. Hell if it's not my wetdream.
Okay, seriously now, lootboxes are a plague and are gambling. Majority of games that scam people with it are mmos. I've said before it needs to be heavily taxed to stop with it and I'm honestly unsure why Uganda didn't do that first and social networks later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Face it, we know next to nothing about games produced on both continents. And that's part of the problem, imho.
Because we have so few people knowing these continent's languages.
Subs and not dubs.
But they refuse to make even subs. If movie industry can, gaming industry should too. Even series streaming services or channels provide numerous languages subs: already mentioned viki.com (all from asia except IIRC north korea and vietnam), already mentioned Tencent's YouTube channel (china), didn't mention GMMTV's YouTube channel (thailand) yet, etc.
Do those game developers expect a common gamer to speak all possible languages in the world?

The problem is not on our side.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; July 3rd, 2018 at 12:22.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#283

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,138
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2018, 12:22
The problem is everywhere where peoiple decide not to look over their boundaries.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#284

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 17,838
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

July 3rd, 2018, 17:18
DRM strikes again as LA Noire VR owner can't play his game for days.

Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/commen…ccessible_for/
I just recently purchased LA Noire the VR Case Files recently and was able to play a few sessions over the the past week. The game was very impressive and fun but now every time I try to launch the game I am prompted to enter the product key even though I already activated the game. Trying to re-enter the key gives the error "this activation code is already in use". Because of this, the game won't progress past the launcher.

This case is not isolated to just myself. It seems to be a current massive widespread issue as many of the most recent steam community discussion posts and steam reviews are all talking about how they can't play the game because of this activation issue.
--
"Haga Berka Gopa Unama Innrev " - Trump Minion #1

Translation: "Make America great again Donald"
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Trump Minion #1

#285

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TrumpLand
Posts: 16,959
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 09:46
Yea would be interesting to see real statistics about how many legit owners vs pirate owners are impacted by 'bad' drm.

Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
DRM strikes again as LA Noire VR owner can't play his game for days.

Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/commen…ccessible_for/
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#286

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 4,701
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 10:00
Originally Posted by you View Post
Yea would be interesting to see real statistics about how many legit owners vs pirate owners are impacted by 'bad' drm.
It's solved now and was a problem caused by the DRM and RockStar.
**** DRM, seriously.
UPDATE: Currently in talks with Rockstar support. If that fails I’m gonna try to push for a steam refund on the grounds that the games is BROKEN. It’s a shame because I really don’t want to refund it, I want to play it because it was a fun and immersive experience. sigh

FINAL UPDATE: After a long day at work, I finally got home to see a 19.1mb update queued up for LA Noire VR. Sure enough I updated the game and now it launches without issue. I only testing launching the game once so I don't know if the problem could ever return but for now things seem to be working. Thank you to everyone who up voted this post and cross posted all across reddit in order to get Rockstar's attention. Because this problem had persisted for a few days, I'm quite sure that Rockstar would have never fixed it if we did not speak up. Thanks again to this wonderful community!!!
Anyway RockStar has a tendency to overuse DRM in most of their PC releases.

RockStar Social Club
Easy Anti-Cheat
VMProtect
Arxan DRM
Steam Game Client

Other game publishers use Steam/Origin/Uplay + Denuvo + VMProtect + Cloakware.
--
"Haga Berka Gopa Unama Innrev " - Trump Minion #1

Translation: "Make America great again Donald"
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Trump Minion #1

#287

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TrumpLand
Posts: 16,959
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 10:05
Well yea I expected it to be solved; but this still begs the question - after all drm can cause the program to crash; run slow (remember witcher 2 quick removal of drm) and other issues. I'm still curious if drm is more harmful to legit buyers as oppose to pirates who are the targets….

Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
It's solved now and was a problem caused by the DRM and RockStar.
Anyway RockStar has a tendency to overuse DRM in most of their PC releases.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#288

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 4,701
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 10:11
Originally Posted by you View Post
Well yea I expected it to be solved; but this still begs the question - after all drm can cause the program to crash; run slow (remember witcher 2 quick removal of drm) and other issues. I'm still curious if drm is more harmful to legit buyers as oppose to pirates who are the targets….
Yes DRM can cause problems as it was proven true but in others games it doesn't.

This link might help on Reddit.

Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co…n_lets_really/

The link is mostly about Denuvo games though.

This link might help also.

Link - https://www.techpowerup.com/240919/d…5-0-protection
--
"Haga Berka Gopa Unama Innrev " - Trump Minion #1

Translation: "Make America great again Donald"
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Trump Minion #1

#289

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TrumpLand
Posts: 16,959
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 4th, 2018, 12:15
This is why I never bought LA Noire, even although the title got me interested.
And since I don't pirate games, Rockstar won't get get anything from me.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#290

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 17,838
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

July 5th, 2018, 15:50
https://www.vg247.com/2018/07/05/fra…form-gambling/

French gambling regulator rules that loot boxes in video games are not a form of gambling

France joins the UK in ruling that loot boxes don’t constitute gambling, while Australia has joined the Netherlands and Belgium in stating that they are a form of gambling.
I bet their kids still didn't discover phonegames.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#291

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,138
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

Default 

July 6th, 2018, 16:24
Apparingly, Ubisoft wants to bind players to games for a long time, releasing DLCs to that : http://www.pcgames.de/Ubisoft-Firma-…rvice-1260162/
It's in German language.

More "games as a service" BS.

Becomes a new fashion, I assume.

Warner Bros. apparingly wants this as well : http://www.pcgames.de/Warner-Bros-In…kunft-1259209/
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#292

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 17,838
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

July 6th, 2018, 17:28
Simply more reasons to avoid the current platform bloats. Great old games I love, Steam I tolerate, the rest are unworthy scrotes.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#293

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 6,616
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

July 6th, 2018, 18:20
Hi, Alrik. Finally returned here from darker and darker SW community?

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
But in principle I agree with Rhianna : There is time for more "mother-daughter" stories because i juast don't know any of them in games
Yes, but that wasnt the point. You can have more "mother-daughter" stories as well as any other stories. Why not? Even better if these stories will be good. The point was that she used total BS comment about whole TV, movie, gaming industry in order to make her wish look better or exigent. There was no reason to do that.
Farflame is offline

Farflame

Farflame's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#294

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ferdok in Aventuria (Europe)
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

July 6th, 2018, 18:23
Originally Posted by Farflame View Post
Yes, but that wasnt the point. You can have more "mother-daughter" stories as well as any other stories. Why not? Even better if these stories will be good. The point was that she used total BS comment about whole TV, movie, gaming industry in order to make her wish look better or exigent. There was no reason to do that.
Not a new tactic but its used more nowadays for certain political agendas.
--
"Haga Berka Gopa Unama Innrev " - Trump Minion #1

Translation: "Make America great again Donald"
Last edited by Couchpotato; July 6th, 2018 at 18:39.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Trump Minion #1

#295

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TrumpLand
Posts: 16,959
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

July 9th, 2018, 12:32
After falsely advertised mmo miscarriage as RPG, Ubisoft's The Division will get a sequel. This time however…
https://www.pcgamesn.com/tom-clancys…meplay-trailer
You’ll be able to play The Division 2 solo, all the way into the endgame
So it failed among easy to please mainstream and now there is a bait for other type of gamers. Here's hope singleplayer games audience won't fall for this bs, especially when next Ubisoft's AC game not only is supposed to be real RPG, it's completely singleplayer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.pcgamesn.com/fallout-76/…ard-vr-opinion
Bethesda's Todd Howard expects VR to take off with its next generation
So, crapload of $ went into VR development and ports. The very same $ that could have been used for patches.
IMO, VR will not take off as long as Facebook is controlling it. But okay, I guess a bs here and there is a good cover for shareholders' questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After decades of shilling for grinders PCGamer asks the question that defines their shittaste:
https://www.pcgamer.com/has-a-game-e…come-your-job/
Has a game ever felt like it's become your job?
Better late than never I guess. There is still hope for that site.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#296

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,138
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

Default 

July 9th, 2018, 12:35
You could play the first Division solo all the way into the endgame as well
Darth Tagnan is online now

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#297

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

July 9th, 2018, 12:58
The point isn't what you could - but advertising bullshittery.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#298

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,138
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

Default 

July 9th, 2018, 13:00
I'm not talking about your point - but about your misleading information
Darth Tagnan is online now

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#299

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

July 9th, 2018, 13:02
What's misleading?
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#300

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,138
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Gaming BS of the week
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:06.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch