Mass Effect is Not Dead

I'd like it sooner, but very little chance of it. Even Dragon Age is still in infancy and that one is in a lot better position and definitely coming next.
Right now, nearly all of BW is on Anthem and they called it 10 year journey..to compete with other devs, they'll need to constantly crank up content ( Division has around two thousand people working on it, Bungie 1k).
They simply need people ( even more than money), and EA has no other studio to handle it ( EA Motive is working on Star Wars game and that one is not even announced yet).

The good thing is that we don't have to speculate. The future will tell us :)

If you really think running Anthem will prevent them from developing another game that's going to give them free money almost no matter what they do - then that's ok with me.

Even Andromeda made a decent profit IIRC, and that was largely panned by both critics and the audience.

Teams for live games tend to be much, much smaller than when actually developing the game. So, unless it's a gigantic hit like, say, WoW - you can rest assured they will be creating other games as soon as it's financially viable to do so.

Also, it's not like Bioware is this static unit of people that can't expand or contract - or that they can't use other people to work on Mass Effect.

Again, not a lot of people understand game development. I don't mean that as an insult, it's just the way of things.

No one can say when they will start work on Mass Effect - and how long it will take before it enters full production. EA are calling the shots, so it will invariably depend on what they think will be the most profitable game to make at any given time.

But if they don't start talking about a new Mass Effect in development within 7+ years - as you say - it's not going to be because of Anthem. I will give my personal guarentee for that :)

To me, that's like when people constantly said that Elder Scrolls 6 wouldn't happen because ESO is making money.

This industry - like Hollywood - is being run by suits. Suits care about one thing above all else: Profit.

An established franchise with a significant built-in playerbase will ALWAYS return, and suits don't wait around for kicks if they can generate good profit sooner.

It's almost absurdly simple.

Last edited:
Oh, and Division definitely does NOT have 2K people working on it. What an absurd notion.

Maybe during development, it had a lot of people working on it (including many with only minor roles or contractors - and not full time) - but absolutely not now.

Same will be the case for Division 2 - and if you're talking about that game, then it's more like 1000 developers. But, again, definitely not in a full time capacity and MOST definitely not post-launch.

Are you aware of how expensive it would be to pay 2000 people each month? The average salary ranges from something like 40K and 80K per year. Do the math.

Again, you do NOT understand game development. Just accept it.

I still have tiiiiinnnnyyyy little hope for ME series. I thought the lore/universe is interesting enough and really enjoyed the trilogy (well... the first two and... some parts of third one).

I still have tiiiiinnnnyyyy little hope for ME series. I thought the lore/universe is interesting enough and really enjoyed the trilogy (well… the first two and… some parts of third one).
I must be the odd ball on the internet as I enjoyed every games in the series, and yes that includes the so called "worst game ever" Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Maybe playing it after a few patches helped as I never had the launch glitches.

We all know gamers are fickle as hell.

They get all emotional when games don't meet their every demand - and then they go play the sequel in secret and pretend they never had a problem if it's a good game.

It's not the kind of thing I can take seriously.

I never played Andromeda so I can't comment on that.

I can at least say I speak my mind out unlike some gamers who are easily swayed by hype and change their view on game almost every day ;)

I never played Andromeda so I can't comment on that.

I can at least say I speak my mind out unlike some gamers who are easily swayed by hype and change their view on game almost every day ;)
Ouch you wound me man down. Someone call the paramedics.:faint:

I'm guilty of that flaw myself sometimes and so I admit it. :)

Though after that whole Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness Interview debacle I have calmed down, and have to say I agree somewhat from your point of view in that thread.

Ouch you wound me man down. Someone call the paramedics.:faint:

I'm guilty of that flaw myself sometimes and so I admit it. :)

Though after that whole Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness Interview debacle I have calmed down, and have to say I agree somewhat from your point of view in that thread.

It's ok Couch!! I'd rather you prove me wrong and Black Geyser turns out to be awesome game!!! :)

I never played Andromeda
O_O

Please, do me a favor and go for it. Forget the backslash and ignore tasks section inside ingame journal - while it doesn't have enough of humor and doesn't reach the spectacle at any moment unlike DA4, the game is still fun.

To me, that's like when people constantly said that Elder Scrolls 6 wouldn't happen because ESO is making money.

This industry - like Hollywood - is being run by suits. Suits care about one thing above all else: Profit.

An established franchise with a significant built-in playerbase will ALWAYS return, and suits don't wait around for kicks if they can generate good profit sooner.

It's almost absurdly simple.

No. The industry does not look for profitability, they look for competitive profitability.
It is not the crowdfunded scene. The crowdfunded scene has removed the screener of competitive profitability, the crowdfunded scene only looks for profitability. Which means, usually, any backed project.

Between several projects, the industry will select the one that is expected to generate the most profits. It excludes a lot of other projects.

TES series is now Bethesda's star product, the one to which a lot of profitability is generated from.
The proposition is reversed: it is not TES 6 will happen despite TESO. It was TESO happened in spite of TES 5.

ME is unlikely to regain competitive profitability. It is likely to be a toxic product by now, one that risks to decrease overall profitability.

The reception came with a lot of unbased reproaches, caused by spite, hatred, and backgrounded cultural supremacism.
Between players who did not sever the umbilical cord with Cdt Sheppard, players who yearn for their vision of the world to stay dominant and managed to think that the character system did not allow to represent white people skin tones, the product was damaged on purpose beyond continuation.

After watching people played it, none were able to play it properly, following the game mechanics. Instead, players spent a lot of time looking for uncommon bugs
like the crab walk stuff ( a self engineered bug) to paint the product in an unfavourable light.

It is over. Instead of spending hours to learn how to play it, players prefered to spend hours finding ways to destroy the product.

Chien, I wish you were the kind of person one could have a productive exchange with. Unfortunately, you've proven yourself not to be - countless times.

You're talking to yourself exclusively.

Sad, because you sometimes have great points.

O_O

Please, do me a favor and go for it. Forget the backslash and ignore tasks section inside ingame journal - while it doesn't have enough of humor and doesn't reach the spectacle at any moment unlike DA4, the game is still fun.

Joxer, it's not the game itself that's stopping me. I read Maylander's review and was very intrigued. I just REALLY DON'T LIKE ORIGIN!!! :mad:

It's ok Couch!! I'd rather you prove me wrong and Black Geyser turns out to be awesome game!!! :)
I hope so but the lack of updates except we need more money on paypal worry me. :nod:
O_O

She should but it saddens me the game will never be complete after EA canceled the expansions & all DLC. I wont spoil it but it has to do with a mysterious message.

Mas Effect 3 is even mentioned if you finish a certain quest line.
Joxer, it's not the game itself that's stopping me. I read Maylander's review and was very intrigued. I just REALLY DON'T LIKE ORIGIN!!! :mad:
Yeah hate that every EA RPG game makes you use Origin. It's the same with every Ubisoft game nowadays you get used to it, but at least you can go offline with origin.

Last edited:
She should but it saddens me the game will never be complete after EA canceled the expansions & all DLC. I wont spoil it but it has to do with a mysterious message.

Mas Effect 3 is even mentioned if you finish a certain quest line.

There are references to all the ME games in ME:A not just ME 3. You also meet at least one person who's related to someone from the trilogy.

It definitely wasn't the "worst game ever". I'd rank it #2 among the 4 ME games, though that really isn't saying much to be honest. It's a very solid, and very flawed, game that should have been better.

Within the past few months, I have played through both Mass Effect 2 and 3 (with all DLC for both) for the first time. I loved the first ME, but I never got around to playing the sequels because of the ridiculous pricing on the DLC. I finally bit the bullet when Origin made it possible to not have to use Bioware points.

So, even though they became far less RPGish with each installment, they were excellent games. I like shooters, so even ME3 on insanity difficulty was fun for me. I thought the ending was fine, poignant even, although I can understand the frustration people must have felt before the Extended Cut ending was released.

The ending is fascinating if you know a bit about actual theories on the existence of extraterrestrial life (or lack thereof). One way to resolve the Fermi Paradox is that perhaps every civilization inevitably destroys itself within just a few thousand years of technological existence. One theory of what that might be is the creation of AI (i.e., synthetics in ME game terms) that ends up destroying civilization. I also heard a prominent physicist/scientist for the masses, Michio Kaku, on NPR recently, where he said that he thinks that eventually humans will likely "merge" with AI after a few hundred years - which was of course the "good" ending in ME3. Anyway, I haven't played Andromeda yet, but I thought both ME2 and ME3 were great.

the game will never be complete after EA canceled the expansions & all DLC. I wont spoil it but it has to do with a mysterious message.
Cancelling milking DLC was the best decision EA ever made. Did I post already that not just me but plenty of people expressed their opinion about DLC on EA's forum wishing that the postend cliffhanger message is addressed in ME:A2? Yea, I did post it.

ME:A is complete.

Eurogamer. Meh.

If you really think running Anthem will prevent them from developing another game that's going to give them free money almost no matter what they do - then that's ok with me.

Even Andromeda made a decent profit IIRC, and that was largely panned by both critics and the audience.

I'm afraid, despite your vast and deep knowledge of the industry, you keep missing the point.
"Decent" profit often isn't enough. This depends on the publisher ( Ubisoft despite it's annual generic whatever, often works on great smaller titles like Child of Light), but on larger, more expensive projects, they go with less risk/high profit. And EA openly talking about SP oriented games becoming more "obsolete" ( which Mass Effect is), they need a better return for it.

Teams for live games tend to be much, much smaller than when actually developing the game. So, unless it's a gigantic hit like, say, WoW - you can rest assured they will be creating other games as soon as it's financially viable to do so.

That depends on the type of game and what content they're planning to add to it. For some it takes much more than a "skeleton crew". And Bioware already stated it is "10 year long journey" and that is more story driven ( than similar games like Destiny), which requires a lot more work than adding skins, simple game mechanics, balancing, etc.

Also, it's not like Bioware is this static unit of people that can't expand or contract - or that they can't use other people to work on Mass Effect.

Again, not a lot of people understand game development. I don't mean that as an insult, it's just the way of things.

Agreed, and in your case, you've perfectly demonstrated it. ;)

You see, while people on "minor" positions tend to move around a lot, highly experienced leads ( typically) do not. And I'm sure you're aware that finding people in those positions is actually pretty difficult ( mostly thanks to high rate burnout). Not to mention that Bioware has lost considerable number of people in those positions in recent years.

And last time, EA handed IP to unproven studio, "coincidentally" Mass Effect Andromeda happened. They even had to pull one of leads from Edmonton to save the project…despite this, it killed the studio, put franchise on ice, and damaged Bioware's reputation.
It's unlikely EA would do the same again. And the ones who have experience on IP, are working on Anthem, with Casey Hudson spearheading the project. Again, their own words: 10 year project.

EA are calling the shots, so it will invariably depend on what they think will be the most profitable game to make at any given time.

But if they don't start talking about a new Mass Effect in development within 7+ years - as you say - it's not going to be because of Anthem. I will give my personal guarentee for that

Read above. Also recently, Ammy Hennig who worked on cancelled EA Star Wars game, left the company. She also talked about problems with SP centered AAA games and how publishers are shifting away from them.

Flawed analogy. TES is one of the most popular and profitable franchises in gaming. It wouldn't be the same franchise with MP. Bethesda can release it a month after ESO expansion without even the slightest worry.
Andromeda is nowhere near ( commercially) successful; and bad reception always hits next game in the series ( see Watch Dogs I/II). Even Dragon Age II received a good amount of post launch content. Andromeda: zero.

How much profit is more relevant. If you can earn 1.50 for every $ you spend, or 5, or 10…
Also huge amount of revenue for EA comes from microtransactions, and MP oriented ( which Mass Effect is not) games are much easier to monetize on that front.
Former EA employee: "EA doesn't care what you want, they care what you will pay for".

You might want to inform them then to start working on C&C, Dead Space and dozens of other IPs that were ( comercially) successful, even without breaking sales records. ;)
Sorry, but that is plain false: There are far too many cases of publishers setting unrealistic sale expectations, game earning decent amount of profit, and it still being put on ice afterwards.

Oh, and Division definitely does NOT have 2K people working on it. What an absurd notion.

Maybe during development, it had a lot of people working on it (including many with only minor roles or contractors - and not full time) - but absolutely not now.

Same will be the case for Division 2 - and if you're talking about that game, then it's more like 1000 developers. But, again, definitely not in a full time capacity and MOST definitely not post-launch.

Congratz for mastering the obvious. ;)

Yes, I was talking about total numbers that includes outside contractors, but "GAAS" games require a lot more than a few dozen people working post launch. Bioware's own words indicate they're in for a long haul and entirely focused on it.

Again, you do NOT understand game development. Just accept it.

Would you mind telling us more about your personal experience on working in industry? Projects you worked on, publishers,…or even worked with game legends like Mikami, Spector, Miyamoto, ol' Gabe and others? Perhaps even taught them a few tricks, eh?
You must have many wonderful stories to tell. :)

Back
Top Bottom