Call of Cthulhu - A Linear Story

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamingbolt Call of Cthulhu is a linear story with multiple paths and won't feature semi-open world elements.

The upcoming Cyanide-developed horror title, Call of Cthulhu, is looking like an interesting proposition, taking the concepts of the classic tabletop RPG and combining it with psychological horror elements in a single experience. Apparently, the game will be a very focused, narrative-driven experience, and won’t feature any semi open world elements (like what we saw in, say, The Evil Within 2).

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

"they explained that while the game won’t be semi-open world, it will feature a few branching paths, giving players some choice in terms of gameplay to decide how they want to progress. You can take these paths based on your choices, and your skills. "

I didn't expect any different. I seem to recall some of the earlier interviews talking about how it would be a pretty short game.

Of course, it won't be anything like a PnP experience if it's that linear - but, then again, I'm not into Lovecraft for anything except the immersion, atmosphere and narrative.

Anything more would be icing on the cake, for me.

Ehhhh, that's not entirely good news, not even close. I'll probably still get it because I love the setting, but my expectations have now reset accordingly.

What made you guys think it would be open world in the first place?

I guess I simply hoped that someone doing a game in this setting would make it the best it could be. To me, that is not a linear set-up, I don't think that's the best foot forward for this product. The branching paths, however, still makes me quite curious to give this one a shot.

Open world is soooo overrated. Most of them are bad, anyways.
Yep and they usual have repetitive filer quests and live elements nowadays.:nod:

Precisely. Lovecraft is all about atmosphere and a foreboding story of the unknown - you need good pacing for that, something you won't find in any open world game with players bumbling about wherever they please for a dozen hours before they even set upon the main quest. Frankly, I'd be worried if it *was* open world.

Precisely. Lovecraft is all about atmosphere and a foreboding story - and you need good pacing for that, something you won't find in any open world game with players bumbling about wherever they please for a dozen hours before they even set upon the main quest. Frankly, I'd be worried if it *was* open world.
That was me in Witcher III till I turned of those annoying ? marks on the map.:nod:

They can't be all open worlds. I can understand doing this with Lovecraft if you're really trying to nail the experience. Means it's a shorter game too, inevitably. And that's fine! Some of my favorite games are so because they didn't wear out their welcome.

Where did you see anyone say they thought it was going to be open-world?

There's a big difference between open-world and semi open-world. I don't think anyone here expected CoC to be an open-world game.

I am not sure very many expected this game to be 'open-world' and I don't believe any of the trailers up until this point indicated that it would be an open world type of game. It looks like an adventure/detective style of game with light rpg elements very loosely based off CoC rpg. A little too linear perhaps but first and foremost a Cthulhu/Lovecraft game should be atmospheric. It is also good to see that this title and 'The Sinking City' look distinct.

Well as long as the atmosphere and the horror elements are good, i don't mind if it's open world or linear

That is certainly one of the most important aspects, they have to get the horror aspect spot on. If they achieve that, almost everything else associated with the project should simply fall into place.

A lienar story can be really good if done right. IWD for example. You don't even notice. That's why I liked it much better than BG or, worse, Morrowind. Open worlds can lack focus.

Back
Top Bottom