Wasteland 3 - Alpha Commences

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The playable Alpha for Wasteland 3 has started which means some gameplay video is now available. In addition the Steam page for Wasteland 3 is up. There is a Fig update also.

Checking out Wasteland 3 Alpha, which is focused on combat gameplay. Wasteland 3 is a post-apocalyptic RPG with turn-based tactical combat, coming out in spring 2020.
Enjoyed the video? Subscribe for more and click the bell!
More information.

Also played through the alpha a few minutes ago and I like it quite a lot. Production value definitely increased. The first one, at least at release, still felt a bit like a "cheap" unity game to some degree, which this oen feels quite solid. Graphics and sound and overall presentation are great.
Also the combat felt much better than at release of Wasteland 2. You seem to have more options now, and having some destructible environment is cool.

What I didn't like:
-There was a huge delay between command and action, especially when shooting. Hope for big improvements there.
-Start of combat felt quite bad. Like positioning your group and actually having first shot has a big impact on the fight and felt very clumsy
-Constitution and Intelligence still give HP and Skillpoints on level up according to the description. I really hope this is retroactive now!

And about that video: He basically missed out half of the demo, including the endboss and the final dialogue. I am currently uploading my German video (english game).

I like the way this game looks! Looking forward to playing this one. The friend that played the game may correct me if my assumption is wrong, but the only thing that I didn't like about the video is that the enemies seem like bullet sponges to me.

Hrm, wouldn't say so. Most enemies actually die from a couple of attacks. Ofc one of these attacks doesn't necessarily mean "one bullet", but more like a burst of bullets but at least to me it didn't feel like it were bullet sponges. It's not a Jagged Alliance where enemies die with just one headshot (though that happens as well), but I am fine with that.

Here is my playthrough of this Alpha-Demo:

They don't compare moused-over weapons to the equipped weapon with a pop-up any more? Or is that just an alpha "feature"? Probably.

Nice environmental effects.

They don't compare moused-over weapons to the equipped weapon with a pop-up any more? Or is that just an alpha "feature"? Probably.

Nice environmental effects.

Yep, likely. There is a key you can set for that. I just tested it, but the key is not working.

Looks like another masterpiece. WL2: DC was one of my favourite games in the last few years but this looks like a big step up in the graphics department. The combat looks too be improved as well but I hope the rest of the systems don't suffer. It could have much more mainstream success with a bit of microsoft marketing behind it.

This looks like fun to me. Lots of tactical options and different ways through. The increased graphics and sound adds another level.

Back
Top Bottom