Coronavirus (No Politics)

The percentage of male smokers is higher nearly everywhere.

That's true, though in China the difference is extreme. It's something like 50% vs 2%.

Even a hard lock down would not achieve that, unless it's so strict that it will inevitably either lead to wide spread revolt or everyone starving to death in their homes.

Yes, eradication is not on the table. But it is thought that a much stricter lockdown for a couple of months could bring the numbers back down to where an efficient test and trace program would be feasible. Sort of allowing those countries that messed up their initial response to have a second try.

Not sure if this true but some people have been saying that 70% or more corona deaths are men.

I consider this a mercy, too, no matter what you want to attribute it to.

I consider this a mercy, too, no matter what you want to attribute it to.

What you mean by mercy?

Anyway the reason why I asked is that my dad is 70 sometimes he goes out to do shopping for him and my mum. He tries to be careful but he went to the super market this morning and there were loads of people there so he just turned back..

It's mercy that the virus seem to spare a part of the population. Less death is good.

And I was old school, even as a kid. Women and children first, and all that, or last, in this case.

It's mercy that the virus seem to spare a part of the population. Less death is good.

That depends on how you look at it. Does it spare a part of population or does it affect the other part disproportionately more?

That depends on how you look at it. Does it spare a part of population or does it affect the other part disproportionately more?
Well the virus does ideed affect "disproportionately" men and it is a good thing, since it mean less death altogether.
Men aren't targeted more by the virus (if that's what you were going for), women are infected the same but simply resist it better.
Wich mean less death. Wich mean good thing…

And I was old school, even as a kid. Women and children first, and all that, or last, in this case.
Yes that too.

It's a bit of a glass half full / half empty kind of situation. ;)

No, I was thinking more along the lines of what Cacheperl said. What is the base line death toll of this disease? If it is the same as male death toll then, yes, women are spared. If it is the same as female death toll then men are affected more by it. But how do you determine where the base is? It's all matter of perspective.

It's a bit of a glass half full / half empty kind of situation. ;)
Yeah, I just hope this isn't about incels whining again that life is unfair for all those poor, persecuted fragile men.

This isn't the time for that shit.

But how do you determine where the base is?
You don't. It serve no purpose.

life is unfair…
… Unless you're EA CEO.
You can still catch coronavirus but at least you'll die filthy rich, which is the only thing that matters at such position.

Yeah, I just hope this isn't about incels whining again that life is unfair for all those poor, persecuted fragile men.
You don't know, this Coronavirus thing might benefit the incels. I mean they are already socially isolated so they are very unlikely to be infected hence part of the 70% death rate! So if more men dies due to Coronavirus, we might end up with surplus women at the end of it :)

Jokes aside, the reason why I ask about the number thing is that, my mum and dad lives bit far away from me and I can't always do their shopping. My dad is the person who is going out to do the shopping for them so maybe my mum should go out more than him? Anyway if one of them gets it, the chances are very high the other will too.... the whole thing sucks big time.

You don't know, this Coronavirus thing might benefit the incels. I mean they are already socially isolated so they are very unlikely to be infected hence part of the 70% death rate! So if more men dies due to Coronavirus, we might end up with surplus women at the end of it :)
A total Chadocide! :p

Jokes aside, the reason why I ask about the number thing is that, my mum and dad lives bit far away from me and I can't always do their shopping. My dad is the person who is going out to do the shopping for them so maybe my mum should go out more than him? Anyway if one of them gets it, the chances are very high the other will too…. the whole thing sucks big time.
I'm in a similar situation.
My mum do the groceries when I can't do it for them, because my dad already has a cancer and a light chemio treatment, so it's a no brainer in their case.

Women are less at risk, sure, but they can still die from it. In your situation, I'd say it's for your parents to discuss and decide who will take the risk.

My dad is the person who is going out to do the shopping for them so maybe my mum should go out more than him? Anyway if one of them gets it, the chances are very high the other will too…. the whole thing sucks big time.

Yes, I'm not sure it makes much difference to the risk - if one contracts it the other is likely to as well. It might be worth looking into the various shopping options. Most of the online deliveries are overbooked now, but the click and collect services can reduce the risk, as opposed to wandering around the shop. Also, some shops have now have special times of day for the elderly only, which might make them a bit quieter and safer.

Also, a lot of small local shops have started running delivery services, and will leave the stuff outside the door. Many of them are advertising on social media, and it's worth phoning around to inquire. I've got my folks fresh food that way.

I'm in a similar situation.
My mum do the groceries when I can't do it for them, because my dad already has a cancer and a light chemio treatment, so it's a no brainer in their case.

As a cancer patient, your dad will be classified as high risk. I don't know the arrangements over there, but over here all online delivery services have prioritised for high risk people, and there is a volunteer service in addition. Might be worth investigating.

Anyway if one of them gets it, the chances are very high the other will too…
The other will in such scenario get it too. 100% chance.

Go shopping when it's not crowded. Or where it's not crowded. Prices might be higher, but try to shop as much as you can in small local shops. Avoid big trading centers.
As much as you can use your card, not cash.
Before touching your face, always do wash hands. Even if you didn't touch anything previously. Normal soap will do, no reason to buy whatever disinfectant whatnot.
Try to be at least 1m away from other people.
No lollygagging all around the world. Stay at home. By that I don't mean the dump of a flat you're living in, but your neighborhood. Vacation in Zimbabwe, Zanzibar and Bangladesh? Postpone it for next year.
No parties or family dinners with numerous people! Socialize rationally, with only a few people around. Tradition is good, but sometimes like now we need to postpone it for next year. Your folks who live 1000km from you won't die if you don't visit them for two weeks. Use Skype or something similar instead.
I always suggested people to go out, explore and grab a coffee somewhere new. Till this outbreak is over with, go for a coffee only where you usually do. Turn off the adventuring mode for the time being.
Your BFF or something just arrived from Moon or Mars after 856378467843 years and wants to meet with you face to face. Politely refuse till they pass the selfisolation of 14 days. Okay?

The boss threatened you: if you don't appear at workplace you'll be fired. Choose yourself. Penniless month but staying alive or barely enough cash for normal living you get at that job that comes with a death risk.

Last edited:
As a cancer patient, your dad will be classified as high risk. I don't know the arrangements over there, but over here all online delivery services have prioritised for high risk people, and there is a volunteer service in addition. Might be worth investigating.
He has minimal contact with us, only the nurses enter his room during the daily visit. But he does eat the food my mum buy and prepare…
Anyways, they live countryside, a very isolated place that is not so high risk. Also why the delivery idea probably won't be possible in their case.

It's for people living in cities I worry.

Food itself is not considered much of a risk for this type of virus - it's not the kind that has fun in the digestive system. I'm sure they're being careful with plates and cutlery, so hopefully that will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom