Non-RPG General News - RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC Games

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The RPG Codex voted for the best Non-RPGs:

RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC Games RESULTS!

Who's ready for some sweet nostalgia?

The results for our RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC games voting are out!

We had 203 codexers voting on 1,092 different games! It's a small number of people for such large number of entries, so I kept only the Top 200 visible on the result sheet visible, as bellow that games have 10 points or less, so 2 votes could already rank it.

Getting started, here's the RPG Codex's Top 50 Non-RPG PC games:

1. Heroes of Might & Magic III
  2. Thief: The Dark Project
  3. Thief II: The Metal Age
  4. StarCraft
  5. X-COM: UFO Defense (aka UFO: Enemy Unknown)
  6. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
  7. Doom
  8. Half-Life
  9. Quake
  10. Age of Empires II
  11. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
  12. Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares
  13. Crusader Kings II
  14. Warcraft III
  15. Master of Magic
  16. Civilization IV
  17. Heroes of Might & Magic II
  18. Max Payne
  19. Silent Hill 2
  20. Portal
  21. Sid Meier's Pirates!
  22. Civilization II
  23. Half-Life 2
  24. Unreal Tournament
  25. Blood
  26. Duke Nukem 3D
  27. Star Wars: TIE Fighter
  28. Freespace 2
  29. Civilization
  30. Dungeon Keeper
  31. Doom II: Hell on Earth
  32. System Shock
  33. Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II
  34. The Secret of Monkey Island
  35. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  36. Dwarf Fortress
  37. Dishonored
  38. The Curse of Monkey Island
  39. Rome: Total War
  40. Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy
  41. Portal 2
  42. Europa Universalis IV
  43. Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast
  44. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  45. Hollow Knight
  46. Counter-Strike
  47. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
  48. Tetris
  49. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
  50. Grim Fandango
[...]
More information.

Briefly looking I could swear this is the list of best nonRPGs till 2010.
Except us, old farts, who cares about them any more?

So, where is the list of the best nonRPGs in the past decade for those who just started playing videogames?

Briefly looking I could swear this is the list of best nonRPGs till 2010.

My thoughts, exactly!

I know opinions may vary, but Blood in a Top 50 non-RPG of ALL TIME ??? Same for a lot of other games: Unreal Tournament, Freespace 2, Silent Hill 2, GTA Vice City... Look these are all good games but IMHO not worthy to be in a Top-50 Non-RPG list.

Except us, old farts, who cares about them any more?

Well, that's just it... to be an old fart means that the older something is, the better it is. And the more recent it is... well, those are never as good as back in the day. =)

I wouldn't play most of those games even if I was paid to, and I'm not a millennial. On a quick count, I enjoyed 6 of those 50 games, and only 1 of them is top 10.

Surprised to not see Pacman, though, considering the nature of that list and the mindset of the average voter in that poll.

That list is actually pretty good to be honest. There are a lot of great games on there, but I don't doubt that some members here won't see that simply because they don't cross over into other genres as much.

Thief 1&2, Half-Life, XCOM, Duke 3D, System Shock, StarCraft, Dishonored, The Jedi Knight games, Doom 1&2, Stalker, Civilization, HoMM.

That's a whole lot of awesomeness right there.

Of course, like any list, there are a few head scratchers. For example, I wouldn't have put any Grand Theft Auto games on there.

All in all though, it's a surprisingly good list considering where it came from.

I know opinions may vary, but Blood in a Top 50 non-RPG of ALL TIME ??? Same for a lot of other games: Unreal Tournament, Freespace 2, Silent Hill 2, GTA Vice City… Look these are all good games but IMHO not worthy to be in a Top-50 Non-RPG list.

Blood is fantastic. Have you ever played it? It was easily on par with Duke Nukem 3D with which it shared the same engine, and most fans of shooters consider Duke a classic of the genre.

Nightdive recently released a modernized version on Steam. If you like shooters at all, you should give it a try.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1010750/Blood_Fresh_Supply/

I play mainly RPG´s, but my favorite games alltime is Freespace 1 & 2, yes, I am an old fart, but the games are still fantastic to Play...top list non pure rpg:
1- Frespace 1 & 2
2 - System Shock 1 & 2 and Deus Ex
3 - Star Control 2
4 - Little Big Adventure
5 - Outcast
6 - Half Life (and Doom)
7 - Tie Fighter
8 - Battlefield 2142
9 - Monkey Island
10 - Strike Commander

P.S. - I play new games, but the ones above where groundbreaking in their time, that´s why they are still my favorites (but has Henrique has said, I am old :))

I'm aware it's personal preference, but I only enjoyed UFO from the top 10 and find the rest average games that are overrated because of nostalgia and a very underdeveloped game industry/competition at the time of their release, especially all those shooters (Quake, Doom, Half-Life and whatnot).

Then again, a list, people vote, results come, and it has zero impact or relevance on anyone's lives, so all's good, life goes on.

Excellent list and I could easily play any of those (played and enjoyed most) on my 10 year-old laptop!

I don't think it is only nostalgia here, these games set the benchmark for what came after and some continue to set the benchmark.

Only disappointed for not seeing some of Monolith classics in the list (F.E.A.R. and AVP2).

I'm aware it's personal preference, but I only enjoyed UFO from the top 10 and find the rest average games that are overrated because of nostalgia and a very underdeveloped game industry/competition at the time of their release, especially all those shooters (Quake, Doom, Half-Life and whatnot).

Then again, a list, people vote, results come, and it has zero impact or relevance on anyone's lives, so all's good, life goes on.

Cool, but I think you made your opinion clear in your first post. Why post basically the same thing twice?

Only disappointed for not seeing some of Monolith classics in the list (F.E.A.R. and AVP2).

Yeah, I would have included the original F.E.A.R. for sure. At least Blood made the list though, and that was actually the first game Monolith developed.

Cool, but I think you made your opinion clear in your first post. Why post basically the same thing twice?

I did consider editing the original post, but after a few more posts came after, I felt that would be kind of bad, firstly, because readers would be more prone to miss my excellent points, and secondly, because it may feel like I edited my post in reaction to posts made afterwards. Even then, basically nothing I sad on my posts was redundant other than the correlation between "I enjoyed 1 of the top 10 games" with actually mentioning that the one game was UFO. The second post points particularly how oldtime shooters are overrated and shit games in general with poor mechanics and gameplay, only sustained by nostalgia and lack of competition back then, games that wouldn't sell under a €3 pricetag as indie releases nowadays.

The fact that it triggered butthurt quotes means it pulled a thread somewhere, so all in all, well worth posting it.

People still play HoMM III to this day and the modding community is very active. So it's not nostalgia, it's one of the greatest games ever chief. ;)

I loved Wasteland back in the 80's but trying the new update was just frustrating. Now that's nostalgia. One of my favorites back in the day and I can't play it now without banging my head on the monitor.

I did consider editing the original post, but after a few more posts came after, I felt that would be kind of bad, firstly, because readers would be more prone to miss my excellent points, and secondly, because it may feel like I edited my post in reaction to posts made afterwards. Even then, basically nothing I sad on my posts was redundant other than the correlation between "I enjoyed 1 of the top 10 games" with actually mentioning that the one game was UFO. The second post points particularly how oldtime shooters are overrated and shit games in general with poor mechanics and gameplay, only sustained by nostalgia and lack of competition back then, games that wouldn't sell under a €3 pricetag as indie releases nowadays.

The fact that it triggered butthurt quotes means it pulled a thread somewhere, so all in all, well worth posting it.

Still taking everything personally I see. :)

Actually, pretty much everything you said was redundant. It's also obvious that you posted the second time because you thought certain comments must have been meant for you even though they weren't. It seems to be a recurring theme.

Such a random list. Disparate genres, toss a bunch of darts against a wall and see what sticks - lists such as these really need a middle step to cull out random junk so that people can focus their final votes on more than simply whatever crosses their minds first.

Well, you can definitely tell they are an older crowd there...

The strategy games on the list are pretty decent.

Any list with Grim Fandango in it is a good list.

Back
Top Bottom